4x41.JPG

Panda (Classic) LVJ the scrap yard 4x4

Introduction

Ok, for those who don't know this is my latest acquisition.

I didn't really expect to win the ebay auction so I didn't view it first.

This will either be amazing or a lesson in how not to buy a car :eek:

Ebay pics :

4x410.JPG
4x49.JPG
4x48.JPG
4x46.JPG
4x45.JPG
4x42.JPG
4x43.JPG
4x41.JPG

Still trying to work out how to collect it without it being silly money, If I can get a car trailer for a day my brother has offered to help with his isuzu pickup.

Open to other offers though as he notoriously changes his mind if he gets a better offer for his time (like the pub being open :rolleyes:).
As can be seen in the above pictures I had the pressure washer out today!

It's blown a few holes through, wet the inside and possible ruined the engine :doh:

At least it's cleaner.

I'll take one of the bumpers thanks (y)

Anyone got any bumper mounts (not very keen on the long bolt solution...)

As Andy said I have a list of parts needed so far, most importantly the much neglected blue one needs the attention of a magician with a sparkle stick.
Before I pay a non-forumer to do the job is there anyone who is up for doing this?
I'll get an angle grinder and make it look a lot worse so really should be less than a days work once I've done the prep.
I'm not bothered about what it looks like so anyone who is learning the skill can use of LVJ as a practice piece, plus most of it will covered up with trim bits etc.
I'll pay expenses and materials plus a few bob for petrol as it will have to be done in situ.

I'm really chuffed that LVJ doesn't need an engine swap, it will be the ideal off roading car as every panel is bashed or rusted or both so no worries about getting mud under over and in its wheels :D

Thanks again Andy for your help with this (y)

As can be seen in the above pictures I had the pressure washer out today!

It's blown a few holes through, wet the inside and possible ruined the engine :doh:

At least it's cleaner.

I'll take one of the bumpers thanks (y)

Anyone got any bumper mounts (not very keen on the long bolt solution...)

As Andy said I have a list of parts needed so far, most importantly the much neglected blue one needs the attention of a magician with a sparkle stick.
Before I pay a non-forumer to do the job is there anyone who is up for doing this?
I'll get an angle grinder and make it look a lot worse so really should be less than a days work once I've done the prep.
I'm not bothered about what it looks like so anyone who is learning the skill can use of LVJ as a practice piece, plus most of it will covered up with trim bits etc.
I'll pay expenses and materials plus a few bob for petrol as it will have to be done in situ.

I'm really chuffed that LVJ doesn't need an engine swap, it will be the ideal off roading car as every panel is bashed or rusted or both so no worries about getting mud under over and in its wheels :D

Thanks again Andy for your help with this (y)

Wow those pictures were no holds barred, its obviously not had an easy life! Good to know that you are rescuing it though John, cant wait to see the progress with this :)

Have to agree with Giacosa, you are going to have to do a serious amount of work to get that solid again. Sorry to put a downer on it but to me it looks like a pretty unviable project unless you have alot of money to spend or are doing it all yourself. Certainly beyond someone only spending a day on it:(

I know what you mean Andy, but it will still be a lot of work to get all the structual parts sorted properly, obviously I've not seen the car and can only go off the photos but I don't think you could get away with plating over the holes you can see as there will be alot hidden rust in the inner panels in the sills etc.

Have a look at Gavins Sisley thread and you can see how bad things can be when it only looks minor on the surface.

Hmmn. Need some positive vibes here or the seed of doubt gets sown:).

Would any of us start anything if we didn't think it was half the job it turns out to be..?:bang:

And then sometimes it turns out to really be half the job we feared it would become(y)

And when it is done it becomes another funny story about how daft Panda owners are.:worship:

I agree with Alixcompo need some positive balance here! Noone has said this is going to be an easy task, but we have seen rustier pandas fixed up, and bigger tasks undertaken. We should be supportive of this IMHO and if a task takes longer and pushes you to learn more skills than you thought then I can only see that as a positive thing, and with the kind of knowledge base we have on this forum to help, this will be done, it will be awesome and I for one believe in this. Cue montage with welders and sparks and Mr t using a blowtorch!!!

Hmmn. Need some positive vibes here or the seed of doubt gets sown:).

Would any of us start anything if we didn't think it was half the job it turns out to be..?:bang:

And then sometimes it turns out to really be half the job we feared it would become(y)

And when it is done it becomes another funny story about how daft Panda owners are.:worship:

Don't have doubts now. This thread was making me consider my project Panda again. It's at least as bad. I reckon if someone else does one as bad I may as well do mine too!

One job at a time. It's not a race.(y)

I have one (well two) jobs for you if you care to take the challenge....

I was looking at the door you repaired and left @ Verns yesterday (can you guess where this is heading?) .....

Just want to save the colour without respraying which will be a waste of time anyway, don't mind a black tide mark or chequer plate if you think it would be doable on a pair of very flappy doors.

I did think of bolting them together and filling them with expandable foam, as you see I don't have much of a clue when it comes to repairs. :eek:

Right here is the fabled list of things to do to LVJ as identified last week:

Engine bay:

All consumables/service items (hasn't run since it's cleaning with the power hose)

Cambelt

Alternator belt

bulkhead sound deadening material
rocker gasket cover

plugs and leads

oil and filter change

fan switch

Rest of vehicle

Sump guard

CV boot (inner drivers)

Gear box oil (20/50)
Diff oil
transmission oil

Front LHS wheel bearing

rear bumper and new brackets (pair)

Welding

inside boot floor

boot seams

plate on floor

Drivers side front cill holes to plate

central crossmember seams

propshaft seam

LHS rear chassis leg

rear behind bumper.

Pretty sure I've missed something major.

never mind it can't get much worse before it gets better :eek:

Last edited:
I have one (well two) jobs for you if you care to take the challenge....

I was looking at the door you repaired and left @ Verns yesterday (can you guess where this is heading?) .....

Panda Express the doors to me and I'll do them. It will cost you only merciless ribbing for all of time and a beer when I bump into you again.(y)

Back