General Go for this cheap 2008 Panda?

Currently reading:
General Go for this cheap 2008 Panda?

shinybeast1

Hi! I'd love to get this forum's thoughts about whether this is a good deal. New to Pandas, and cars in general. But I've had my heart set on an old one for a while.

FSH, 86,000 miles, 2008, 1.1L. Advertised at £1,500: https://www.gumtree.com/p/fiat/fiat-panda-hatchback-2008-manual-1108-cc-5-doors/1467417267

MOT here: https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/results?registration=wf08ezm&checkRecalls=true

It has advisories about corrosion on the rear axle and exhaust box but from my understanding these parts are quite easy to replace?

What do you think?

Thanks.

Hi, and welcome :)

Nothing obviously wrong with that one, looks tidy...

I would approach a car VERY carefully with an MOT history like that though... 5 fails from the last 6 years isn't a good look.

Seems they're all consumable/service items, so no reason to suspect any major issues.

But it does indicate it's been run with minimal care and budget, only replacing things when they fail an MOT

Not untypical for a cheap city car - but has it been serviced? Oil changes? Timing belt? Coolant? Brake and clutch fluid?

You need to see receipts for these, otherwise assume they haven't been done, and budget to get them done ASAP.

At that age, I'd expect some other consumables to be close to the end of their life too, especially suspension and brakes.

I'd probably want to get the tracking checked. High and uneven tyre wear. Fairly common, ours had that too - but check for any signs of impact damage.

Engines are tough. Rear axle can be saved with a little care and effort if it isn't too far gone.

I think they're excellent little cars, love mine and would happily get another. But it does help if you can do your own maintenance, otherwise labour bills can add up.

Last edited:
Agree with rmjb1. If the car is in decent condition bodily and it goes and stops OK its not a silly price. It is an old design and TLC was a requiremetn back then and so even more so today at 86K. Make sure you have a good look orund and check autotrader adn ebay and car gurus for comparative prices. If the xle is very rusty I would look at some others first. Its not an impossible job but I am sure oitmwoudl be very hard work. Check the sump is sound - look under from the front. Check the brakes are not very rusty at the front and that the hadbrake hold at 4 clicks.Check the radiator is sound and not crumbling. Drive it and listen for hard knocking from the front that could indicate suspension wear. Good news is these are easy to work on. AIm to drive the price down as far as possible.

15 years old cars are best owned by people. With tools and space/drive and willing to do their own mechanicing

As long as you stay with a standard model 1.1 and 1.2 parts are generally cheap and most thing are fairly easy, a great car to learn on

Deformed suspension along with rack sounds like a bump, no big deal as long as it was repaired properly

The main thing is the body work. It's easier and safer if you start with a solid car

Last edited:
Thanks, this is all really helpful! I found this 2010 one, on 64k miles, which just seems like a better deal, since it hasn't failed an MOT since 2013. Although I did see it's done 30k miles in the last year, which seems quite a lot and is a big leap from previous years, so I'm trying to find out whether those miles were motorway or town driving... But this seems like a better option, right?

If you're good at diagnosing faults, have good tools and don't mind getting your hands dirty, then used cars make sense.
My Panda has been a great car but I knew it needed some work when I brought it - both front shocker absorbers and suspension arms, one CV boot, front brake pads and dodgy fuel cap.
In November 2022, I did a full engine service and I've probably spent about £300 on parts in total. Perhaps it would have cost me near a grand if I had it taken to a garage to get the work done.
But don't let me put you off! You'll get plenty of support here.

Hi! I'd love to get this forum's thoughts about whether this is a good deal. New to Pandas, and cars in general. But I've had my heart set on an old one for a while.

FSH, 86,000 miles, 2008, 1.1L. Advertised at £1,500: https://www.gumtree.com/p/fiat/fiat-panda-hatchback-2008-manual-1108-cc-5-doors/1467417267

MOT here: https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/results?registration=wf08ezm&checkRecalls=true

It has advisories about corrosion on the rear axle and exhaust box but from my understanding these parts are quite easy to replace?

What do you think?

Thanks.
I saw the first advert & what they put on the end off the listing would make me a little bit suspicious & put me off, "let me know your best offer, as I'd be keen to get rid of it before I have to tax it again!", to me that says they want to get rid as something major is about to go & they know about it or they've botched something on it to get rid of it & hope a suspecting buyer doesn't notice until it's to late, as stated already the MOT history isn't great & looks as if it's been run on a shoestring, I personally wouldn't go for that one

Last edited:
In days past, cars like this would have cost £300-£500, and would have been scrapped once the next repair was going to cost more than that. Unfortunately in the current market, £1500 is pretty much minimum price territory for any ULEZ compliant car with the best part of a year's MOT. Whether you can get another £1500 of value from it is anyone's guess, but you likely won't get another year's use from it without spending more money.

How much more will depend to a large extent on what you can do for yourself. If the answer to that is very little, buying something like this may not be the most cost effective way for you to own a car.

And remember that folks don't generally sell cars like this without a good reason. The current owner would rather have £1500 than this car; you need to ask yourself why?

Thanks, this is all really helpful! I found this 2010 one, on 64k miles, which just seems like a better deal, since it hasn't failed an MOT since 2013. Although I did see it's done 30k miles in the last year, which seems quite a lot and is a big leap from previous years, so I'm trying to find out whether those miles were motorway or town driving... But this seems like a better option, right?
Yes, I'd say on paper that 2010 model looks like a car that's been well cared for...
...but you're right to question the sudden jump in annual mileage. I'd want to know why. It hardly moved before 2022!

Older cars can be a bit of a lottery. If there's nothing obviously wrong, then I'd go for it and see after 6 months if she's a keeper.

As Panda Nut said above, check the rear axle and engine oil sump for rust - if the sump is wet or leaking oil then it'll need replacing. Also coolant level.

Just a thought on Pandas - I think they're great, but would I recommend them as a reliable daily workhorse to everyone? Probably not.
I was considering Suzuki Swift, Mazda2 or Toyota Yaris as alternatives when I got mine. I suspect they would have had fewer little faults over the last 5 years. But wouldn't have made me smile as much.
If you're confident you can diagnose and replace consumables, Pandas make perfect sense.

Last owner only had it a year and a half

I use to put 30K on a car in a year, a 50 mile commute is a 100 miles a day

It's the less desirable 1.1 with the rare but sortable ECU problem

I can't see any alarm bells in its MOT history, rear springs is nothing to worry about

And remember that folks don't generally sell cars like this without a good reason. The current owner would rather have £1500 than this car; you need to ask yourself why?
As a general rule, I always believe people dont sell cars with no problems.

That car is also on ebay just now, with a starting price of £1300. No one has submitted a bid yet, with 4 days to go. If it's worth that, it'll sell; if not, a lower offer after the auction ends might prove successful.

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Back