General Zero Star NCAP

Currently reading:
General Zero Star NCAP

How TF did I survive driving 124's,127's, 131's and 132's? You can put in all the gadgets but if you don't drive according to your ability and road conditions then no vehicle is really safe!

By :

1 Less cars on the road
2 Slower speeds
3 Lower mileage??

and probably by careful driving. WHen last I asked my insurers said the average between bumps these days is 11000 miles.

This means I am many times over due for a bump. I hope its not one of these hideously oversized and overweight SUV's that I meet. Often it seems driven by thugs! Panda is unlikely to come off well.........

You guys better get rid of your German boxes; in ten years they’ll also be retested at zero...

The point you don’t understand is.. if the Punto can be 5 stars and then retested over a decade later at zero... so can ANY car........

No you’ve missed the point here. As time goes by people will update their cars and in 10years time I will probably have a different German box.

The problem here isn’t that NCap took an old car and tested it to compare how it would compare today, they took a brand new car, a car you can still buy today from your local fiat dealer, which hasn’t been significantly updated in the last 12years, and re-tested it to show that it’s not good enough that companies sit back and don’t improve their cars.

This is not a 10 year old car they tested, its a 12 year old design which you can still buy today. Over the same period there have been 3 VW golf models and a new one is out in the new year you won’t find a 12 year old German box still the same as it was 12 years ago.

Even the G-wagon has undergone an extraordinarily expensive redesign to improve its safety standards and technology, but keep it looking exactly the same as it has since the 1970s

Lets start by scrapping all the old 1920's and 30's vintage Mercs then move on to scrapping the old Bentleys and Silver Hosts, E Types and old Ferarris, better get rid of all Morgans while we are at it just to be on the safe side.

New designs may pass the new tests better, but it does not necessarily make them more desirable to own or drive.

So long as a 12 year old design is cheap we all know what we are buying.

I suggest we start a new series of tests designed to take some of the big pollution cheaters off the road. E.g VW for a start.

I don't think these Euro crash tests are any more discerning, honest real or believable than any other test these morons been wasting all our money on for the last 15 years.I tend to look at crash damaged vehicles and make my own mind up.

The principle is fine but do I trust people who are so easily deceived by one set of tests to produce anything worth a jot in the real world??? Mmmmm!

Its interesting to read what the press think of, for example the Fiat Bravo, and then to compare the with the results of actually driving one for 100,000 miles. My experience is somewhat different to what I have read.

A certain amount of crash survival comes to nothing more than sheer luck: I've seen plenty of crash investigation programs where even if people have been critically injured, they've somehow managed to survive. You see the wreckage of the car, and you just wonder how on earth they weren't killed instantly.

Lets start by scrapping all the old 1920's and 30's vintage Mercs then move on to scrapping the old Bentleys and Silver Hosts, E Types and old Ferarris, better get rid of all Morgans while we are at it just to be on the safe side.

New designs may pass the new tests better, but it does not necessarily make them more desirable to own or drive.

So long as a 12 year old design is cheap we all know what we are buying.

I suggest we start a new series of tests designed to take some of the big pollution cheaters off the road. E.g VW for a start.

I don't think these Euro crash tests are any more discerning, honest real or believable than any other test these morons been wasting all our money on for the last 15 years.I tend to look at crash damaged vehicles and make my own mind up.

The principle is fine but do I trust people who are so easily deceived by one set of tests to produce anything worth a jot in the real world??? Mmmmm!

Its interesting to read what the press think of, for example the Fiat Bravo, and then to compare the with the results of actually driving one for 100,000 miles. My experience is somewhat different to what I have read.

Interesting and quite a few points here which are so far wide of the post a telescope is needed.

Let’s bring some perspective.
No one is buying 1920s and 1930s cars as an every day run around for the family, these are very rare these days and are rolled out for special occasions rather than a trip to the shops. What they are certainly not is a brand new car which is what fiat are selling in the punto.

New designs do pass the tests better, they also sell better, the punto has been so flogged to death over the last 12years that hardly anyone buys them these days, Fiat can sell a dozen or more pandas for the effort it takes to shift a punto.

The punto is cheap but really compared to other cars in the sector and given how long it’s been since any significant revamp, it’s not that cheap, people will know what they are buying but see my point above, no one is buying them.

The rest of your post seems to be ranting that the press didn’t like the bravo and so anything they say is rubbish, except NCAP are not the press or the media, what they do is crash cars and analyse the data, they are not funded by manufacturers and they go out and source the cars that they crash themself from the available market so there are no chances that the manufacturers can have any influence over the testing or put any presssure on by throttling the funding. So you can rant about the press if you like and many people do but NCap are not the press.

The bit about pollution cheaters is a great idea, I’m guessing from this however that you’re unaware that Fiat have also been named as cheating emissions in a fairly big way, and that in real world testing the cars you can buy from the fiat garage down the road, have some of the worst real world figures compared to the manufacturer claimed figures. In the case of the 500x diesel, 14 times more NOX than the permitted figures under euro6 which the car is supposed to adhere to.

You can look at all the crashed cars you like, the extent of the damage to a car tells you nothing about the out come of the crash the injuries received or indeed the speed of the impact, what might look ok might have been a 10mph bump and something horrific may have been a +100mph crash through a house.
SB1500 I suspect you’ll be had pressed to prove any correlation between VW emissions and any persons illness. Look at the recent wild fires in California, that’s likely to have had literally a million times more impact on the environment in the local area, than a few old VW jettas

Interesting and quite a few points here which are so far wide of the post a telescope is needed.

Let’s bring some perspective.
No one is buying 1920s and 1930s cars as an every day run around for the family, these are very rare these days and are rolled out for special occasions rather than a trip to the shops. What they are certainly not is a brand new car which is what fiat are selling in the punto.

New designs do pass the tests better, they also sell better, the punto has been so flogged to death over the last 12years that hardly anyone buys them these days, Fiat can sell a dozen or more pandas for the effort it takes to shift a punto.

The punto is cheap but really compared to other cars in the sector and given how long it’s been since any significant revamp, it’s not that cheap, people will know what they are buying but see my point above, no one is buying them.

The rest of your post seems to be ranting that the press didn’t like the bravo and so anything they say is rubbish, except NCAP are not the press or the media, what they do is crash cars and analyse the data, they are not funded by manufacturers and they go out and source the cars that they crash themself from the available market so there are no chances that the manufacturers can have any influence over the testing or put any presssure on by throttling the funding. So you can rant about the press if you like and many people do but NCap are not the press.

The bit about pollution cheaters is a great idea, I’m guessing from this however that you’re unaware that Fiat have also been named as cheating emissions in a fairly big way, and that in real world testing the cars you can buy from the fiat garage down the road, have some of the worst real world figures compared to the manufacturer claimed figures. In the case of the 500x diesel, 14 times more NOX than the permitted figures under euro6 which the car is supposed to adhere to.

You can look at all the crashed cars you like, the extent of the damage to a car tells you nothing about the out come of the crash the injuries received or indeed the speed of the impact, what might look ok might have been a 10mph bump and something horrific may have been a +100mph crash through a house.

SB1500 I suspect you’ll be had pressed to prove any correlation between VW emissions and any persons illness. Look at the recent wild fires in California, that’s likely to have had literally a million times more impact on the environment in the local area, than a few old VW jettas

Yes all fair enough I just like a rant. I still think the Punto is a perfectly decent car. I wouldn't want to get in a smash in any car and try to avoid doing so. No doubt it wold be better to be in a large SUV built in 2017 if there were to be a choice..

Yes all fair enough I just like a rant. I still think the Punto is a perfectly decent car. I wouldn't want to get in a smash in any car and try to avoid doing so. No doubt it wold be better to be in a large SUV built in 2017 if there were to be a choice..

PS Yes I am aware Fiat are imoral rule breaking cheats. The 1.6D we have apparently is a nice clean car.... but only for 23 minutes at the start of each use. By then it will however be warm and runningh as clean as it can when the emissions equioment apparently switches off if test results from teh USA are to be believed, but In have not been fleeced by them for something that went wrong because of their illicit doings.......

And anyway Pandas should be exempt from all rules and restrictions! The best bit about VW is how hard they have been caned in the USA. Once the final payout is in I recon my son will have had a free year+ off the cost of his 3 year lease on an Audi which he rather enjoyed. It doesn't compensate me for my losses though. All the more ridiculous that the EU ramp on about EUroN compliance when their test are totally ineffective. Some small credit to the Government for junking the tax base for vehicles that was set against this hogwash. Just please don't make it retrospective as I am paying £30 a year for my super clean and efficient 30mpg Panda! (Well done Euro emissions testers, what a fine bunch of highly skilled engineers you all are)

This really illustrates what a load of cobbles all the EU tests and test results are. Do I believe any of the EUro NCAP test results???Nah not that much. The plain fact is bigger and heavier is the way to go for personal safety. Not so good for any Fiats really!!!

Back