General Your Panda for Life?

Currently reading:
General Your Panda for Life?

... I don't have space for three cars at home ...
You don't need room for three bulky cars, you just need room for three Pandas!;)

I followed this thread since it appeared, and the answers are obvious. You're asking the church choir if you should renounce a god. Yes. Panda people says keep your Panda. I'm a Panda person too on my second Panda (moved from 2005 4x4 petrol to 2006 4x4 diesel) and I say: Keep the 100HP!

There are extremely few 100HP's in Sweden (never seen one in person) but the 4x4 is right for me so that's ok. At the end of the day: The Panda is a great car to drive, a great car to own, and just a bundle of joy all around. Stay with us, keep it well and enjoy it!

Spending £10,000 to save £800 makes no sense at all.

10k will cost you about £270 a month over 4 years. If youre current car lasts more than 3 months you're quids in. From that picture, it looks like it's good for a hell of a lot more than 3 months. More like 3 years

Keep it for as long as possible until something expensive breaks, then scrap it, is the most cost effective way to own a car. How big a job it is that finishes off your car depends on how good at driving spanners you are.

That car is only 6 years old. I've not owned a <6 year old car for 15 years now. I certainly don't miss big repayments.

Last edited:
Mine is 12 years old this year. I still drive it daily, and regularly drive from Cornwall to Manchester and from Cornwall to Dundee, Scotland. I service and maintain it myself. No major issues, just wear items such as tyres and brakes.

To me depreciation is much more of an issue than age. I have owned so many cars from mercs to land rovers, classic minis and new minis. The only brand new car I've ever had was a VW polo and id never take the financial hit of buying new again.

I only paid £2k for our panda a few years back. I've spent perhaps £500 in servicing and maintenance. No monthly payments, no real depreciation and it drives without fault the length of the country.

I'd say keep it and I would never part ex unless it was my only option. I'd rather sell privately for the best price and put the cash towards negotiating a deal on price.

This has been the most indestructible and least troublesome car I've ever had. No question.

Spending £10,000 to save £800 makes no sense at all.

10k will cost you about £270 a month over 4 years. If youre current car lasts more than 3 months you're quids in. From that picture, it looks like it's good for a hell of a lot more than 3 months. More like 3 years

Keep it for as long as possible until something expensive breaks, then scrap it, is the most cost effective way to own a car. How big a job it is that finishes off your car depends on how good at driving spanners you are.

That car is only 6 years old. I've not owned a <6 year old car for 15 years now. I certainly don't miss big repayments.

That's the deal breaker for me, I just won't pay silly inflated monthly payments for half a decade when I could be using that cash to go on holiday, i'll only buy a new car when I can either pay for it outright or at least half the value upfront.

Back