Technical Yet another ASR/ESP failure thread

Currently reading:
Technical Yet another ASR/ESP failure thread

Hi all, hope all are healthy and well. Sorry to start another ASR/ESR thread been reading lots of the others but still can´t nail it.

Trying to get my car , its an Uproad with the 120 bhp 8v Multijet, ready for it´s Austrian MOT and need to get a few faults fixed. Had to replace a on the RHS the side light bulbs (one was gone and the other was a little dim) and the main beam bulb.

The Engine Management Light came on but that was cured by cleaning the EGR, Throttle body and the electrics underneath it for the motor which were full of Oil.
I am getting a regular ASR/ESP Failure warning and the fault code U1601 C-Can Line Error which yesterday was Fatal Light On. So far I have cleaned the Terminals and tested the Battery 12.47 V with the Engine off and 14.03 V with it running, which roughly corresponds with what Multiecuscan says. Tested the earth as well but it was a low reading 0.02 if memory serves me correctly

I have replaced the Brake Light Swtich and am fairly certain it is "resetted" properly.Cleaned the D4 connector in the Engine Bay and found a melted fuse in the green connector under the fuse box which i replaced.

Next up I am gonna go around and take every wheel off and clean and test the ABS connectors and I am gonna clean the engine earth (when I can find it!) and the earth next to the battery (for The ECU?). I wanted to connect to the ABS computer but the green connector adapter i bought off i-diagnostics doesn´t want to fit onto the connector in the fuse box and I don´t want to force it.

Does anyone else have an idea where else to look/check, my feeling is that´s a connection problem somewhere. It wouldn´t be something stupid like worn pads, would it?

Attachments

• Screenshot (22).png
    Screenshot (22).png
    138.3 KB · Views: 54
When you get an ASR/ESP Failure its most likely an electrical fault, to do with the battery could be earth leads, open wiring to battery, or even loose battery connectors, that's where I would start first, any low voltage to ECU and it always sets off the ASR/ESP warning light first.

When you get an ASR/ESP Failure its most likely an electrical fault, to do with the battery could be earth leads, open wiring to battery, or even loose battery connectors, that's where I would start first, any low voltage to ECU and it always sets off the ASR/ESP warning light first.
And forgot to say, make sure you have a good amp high-quality battery for your Stilo, they eat voltage and hate cheap low amp battery, and you guessed it, this will set off ASR/ESP Fault.

That's more or less my thinking. I'd like to meet the idiot that thinks covering the engine earth with the air pipe to the throttle was a good idea. And the **** that "designed" the headlights

Hey buddy, I must say that I hade the same issue on my stilo abarth, since I bought the car each time after starting the engine I got failure asr/esp/abs failure, I replaced car battery, previous one was 60 amps, I replaced with new one 70 amps, and finally it never appeared again and also any minor electrical issue that I had before was gone, I think sitlos need a really good and strong car battery in order to avoid electrical problems.

Best regards,

That's more or less my thinking. I'd like to meet the idiot that thinks covering the engine earth with the air pipe to the throttle was a good idea. And the **** that "designed" the headlights
The earth on my diesel ,500 was covered by the clutch slave cylinder and the bolts for that were covered by the air intake pipe
And ofc that was fixed to the intake manifold and the top of the intercooler Which had little access
So I ended fitting an earth cable else

Back