Technical Year 2000 Mk2 Punto Sporting Low Oil Pressure Light

Currently reading:
Technical Year 2000 Mk2 Punto Sporting Low Oil Pressure Light

Just a thought but pull off the oil bung when punto running and see is the noise coming from inside rocker cover and make sure there’s a good spray of oil coming up / push down the metal corner under the bung slightly for a better look see, I have also noticed little knocks and quirks that settle down after 20/30 miles after new oil etc, the reason I pulled off the rocker / sump etc was to just see for myself that all oil channels were clear and pickup clean and tight and all floating crud such as detached sealent etc removed

Last edited:
Just a thought but pull off the oil bung when punto running and see is the noise coming from inside rocker cover and make sure there’s a good spray of oil coming up / push down the metal corner under the bung slightly for a better look see, I have also noticed little knocks and quirks that settle down after 20/30 miles after new oil etc, the reason I pulled off the rocker / sump etc was to just see for myself that all oil channels were clear and pickup clean and tight and all floating crud such as detached sealent etc removed

Do you mean try to remove the oil drain plug whilst the car is running?

Do check out the video I just posted below you might find it interesting - I put a camera through the oil drain hole - I could only really get it to point upwards, I don't know how useful the video is

[ame]https://youtu.be/DUffgQTogiw[/ame]

Hi cool camera , no I mean , run the car and remove oil filler rubber bung and see is the noise in there and also is there enough oil making it up there

wyY37sg.jpg

Mine works ok, and I have about the same value. 17.3 k ohm here. Which is pretty much open circuit to the ground terminal in the battery.

What you can test is: With the plug connected to the sensor, measure the resistance from the ECU plug.
I circled the pin that goes to the pressure switch. It's the blue ECU plug.
In my case I have around 150 Ohm.

1J5mh2x.jpg

Mine works ok, and I have about the same value. 17.3 k ohm here. Which is pretty much open circuit to the ground terminal in the battery.

What you can test is: With the plug connected to the sensor, measure the resistance from the ECU plug.
I circled the pin that goes to the pressure switch. It's the blue ECU plug.
In my case I have around 150 Ohm.

1J5mh2x.jpg

Thank you that's good to know :)

Hi cool camera , no I mean , run the car and remove oil filler rubber bung and see is the noise in there and also is there enough oil making it up there

Oh you mean the cap that you use to put in the oil from the top?

I was looking back at the YouTube video I posted and notice around 2:30 minutes you can see the top of the Oil Pick Up Tube - Does anyone reckon this shows a crack near the bolt on the right?

DAgqDdw.png

ekk36qY.png

2Ie3P5N.png

It looks like it needs to be examined anyway in my opinion I have the 8v but has a pretty standard fitting and no irregular grooves etc as in your pics

Last edited:
Id have to take the sump off if I saw that..peace of mind if nothing else..

yes I think there's a crack - went in for a better look today with the £10 inspection camera..

Also went under the car to see how hard it is to get the sump off.
I wish it was easier to get the sump off. Looks like a number of things are in the way of getting to 3 or 4 bolts.

I'd also have to find a way to jack the car up higher - right now it's resting with the front tyres on a single layer of bricks - the jack we have doesn't go up any higher so I can barely get enough room to move. I'm also worried it's going to be more complicated then I'm capable - if all the bolts of the sump were easy to get to I've have no problem attempting to remove it - but looks like a number of things need to be removed first.

5 years ago my Dad would have been able to help me out with the work but he's had a stroke since then and living in London most of my friends live 2 hours away on the other side of the city and most of them can't drive and struggle to change a light bulb so doubt they'd be much help. :)

IZj5LDh.jpg

Hi , I’d invest in a pair of halford Ramps their reasonable I also have axle stands but for a lot of work Ramps are great and safe it will be a good investment , as I mentioned I’ve the 8 v but can’t imagine they are too different so spray the hell out of the exhaust manifold bolts that attach at front of engine and the two bolts that do the exhaust join underneath and get that off , undo the nearest heat shield bolts to engine and bend back a bit as a lot of them will shear , with that lump of exhaust off and front of car on ramps your situation should look a lot brighter, you can take that sump off yourself , i get the impression you want to do this work yourself and you certainly can but you have to start taking things off now and just do it

Last edited:
I do all my work on my drive,with 2 pairs of axle stands.
You will save yourself a lot of time and energy,if you use an angle grinder to remove the clamp bolts.
I faffed about for over half an hour once when 2 minutes with a angle grinder woulda sorted it. I tend to replace those type of bolts anyway..and they are cheap.

That’s advice I must take on stubborn nuts and bolts nikrox

I want to have a replacement Oil Pickup Tube ready to be installed but I cannot find any sold new on their own in the UK? I have only managed to find used 2nd hand Oil Pickup Tubes and all of them were from abroad. Having no luck finding new or used pickup tubes in the UK.

However I have noticed that you can buy an entire kit that includes the oil pump and a pickup tube on several UK websites for about £110 but happened to see on Eurocar parts and CarPartsforLess the same item listed without any photos - I tried to do a Google search for the part number but nothing comes up so have no idea if this includes just an oil pump or also a pickup tube.

Any ideas on this or other sources of Fiat pickup tube suitable for Year 2000 Mk2 16V 1.2 Punto?

https://www.carparts4less.co.uk/p/fai-oil-pump-323650181

I want to have a replacement Oil Pickup Tube ready to be installed but I cannot find any sold new on their own in the UK? I have only managed to find used 2nd hand Oil Pickup Tubes and all of them were from abroad. Having no luck finding new or used pickup tubes in the UK.

However I have noticed that you can buy an entire kit that includes the oil pump and a pickup tube on several UK websites for about £110 but happened to see on Eurocar parts and CarPartsforLess the same item listed without any photos - I tried to do a Google search for the part number but nothing comes up so have no idea if this includes just an oil pump or also a pickup tube.

Any ideas on this or other sources of Fiat pickup tube suitable for Year 2000 Mk2 16V 1.2 Punto?

https://www.carparts4less.co.uk/p/fai-oil-pump-323650181

other sites show a photo of a tube but different codes

https://www.autodoc.co.uk/fai-autoparts/7933647

I’d probably just go ahead and get the pickup out and establish if it’s damaged or not and if so replace with a second hand one , you’d probably have no problem getting one at a breakers and all the better with the old one in your hand to compare ,I know it’s a small gamble but from what I’ve heard it’s rare for the oil pump to cause problems , put second hand one in and hope for the best

I managed to get the car a few inches higher off the ground today which has helped a lot in getting under it and being able to move around more.

I tried turning some of the oil sump bolts and after having previously applied some PlusGas to loosen up the bolts they turn pretty easily. Although several of the bolt have a build up of rust around them so need to remove the rust to get them to fit into the socket.

However I'm finding trying to turn the Hex Bolts / Allen Key Bolts which is attached to the bracket which holds up the exhaust impossible with whatever hand tools I have. I don't want to risk rounding centre of the bolt either. I don't know if it will take an impact driver to remove these hex bolts.

Here are some photos from today

Attachments

• Fiat-Punto-Mk2-year2000-Sporting (34).JPG
    Fiat-Punto-Mk2-year2000-Sporting (34).JPG
    224.8 KB · Views: 16
  • Fiat-Punto-Mk2-year2000-Sporting (30).JPG
    Fiat-Punto-Mk2-year2000-Sporting (30).JPG
    271.4 KB · Views: 20
  • Fiat-Punto-Mk2-year2000-Sporting (33).JPG
    Fiat-Punto-Mk2-year2000-Sporting (33).JPG
    298.3 KB · Views: 26
It's this hex bolts I am finding impossible to turn - even after applying PlusGas for 24 hours

Attachments

• Fiat-Punto-Mk2-year2000-Sporting (34).JPG
    Fiat-Punto-Mk2-year2000-Sporting (34).JPG
    309.4 KB · Views: 22
I cannot remember where these bolts are..could you post ones from a distance to help identify where they are?...are they sacrificial?..

Back