Technical Wynns injector treatment

Currently reading:
Technical Wynns injector treatment

Good morning all are fuel treatments like wynns gold worth using to keep fuel injectors clean, never used these before so has anyone used them just a random question thanks in advance

I would not say 'all' to any treatments, as they have different uses, and much is BS.
An injector treatment should contain detergents to remove any deposits that do occur, even in the most regularly used petrol systems. I'd avoid any liquids that claim to do anything after the combustion chamber, as I've not yet seen any explanation as to how they remain effective after the 850 degree furnace. I'd also avoid anything aimed at direct injection engines, that claim to clean the valves, unless they clearly explain how the stuff gets from the in-cylinder injector, back out to the inlet valves.
For petrol, a once a year injector cleaner may do some good, and will be unlikely to do any harm. No reason to do more often. A good brand name like Wynns should be fine.
For diesels, the injectors do eventually suffer from soot, so an injector cleaner does seem to do a lot of good, more so on older diesels. My brother has had a few old diesels, smoky when purchased, and gently got cleaner due to the initial overdose, then quarterly doses of injector cleaner.

Edit: If you are asking because you think it might fix a problem, you'll probably be disappointed. Better to fully describe the problem here and let others' experience and expertise help fix it properly.

I would not say 'all' to any treatments, as they have different uses, and much is BS.
An injector treatment should contain detergents to remove any deposits that do occur, even in the most regularly used petrol systems. I'd avoid any liquids that claim to do anything after the combustion chamber, as I've not yet seen any explanation as to how they remain effective after the 850 degree furnace. I'd also avoid anything aimed at direct injection engines, that claim to clean the valves, unless they clearly explain how the stuff gets from the in-cylinder injector, back out to the inlet valves.
For petrol, a once a year injector cleaner may do some good, and will be unlikely to do any harm. No reason to do more often. A good brand name like Wynns should be fine.
For diesels, the injectors do eventually suffer from soot, so an injector cleaner does seem to do a lot of good, more so on older diesels. My brother has had a few old diesels, smoky when purchased, and gently got cleaner due to the initial overdose, then quarterly doses of injector cleaner.

Edit: If you are asking because you think it might fix a problem, you'll probably be disappointed. Better to fully describe the problem here and let others' experience and expertise help fix it properly.
No problem with anything just wondered if it would be beneficial, I'm in the same camp as you, never used these additives before just wondered if these potions actually worked or just advertising BS

No problem with anything just wondered if it would be beneficial, I'm in the same camp as you, never used these additives before just wondered if these potions actually worked or just advertising BS
Somewhere out there amongst the dross I recall seeing a YouTube video from one of the TV motoring shows (Top Gear, 5th Gear I don't remember but I think I have referenced it on this forum before). Still, taking a pinch of salt, it did appear to go about a before and after (fuel treatment) comparison on a second hand VW (Corrado?) with dyno testing. While the experimental technique may still have been imperfect there did seem to be some general improvement. This showed a step change for a one off treatment - regular treatments, you might expect, would stave off any gradual (and probably unnoticeable) deterioration? I don't know! You pays your money and takes a choice...

The type of fuel you use may also influence how much value you'll see from adding this type of product.

If you're running a premium E5 fuel, it'll have extra detergent straight out of the pump, and you may see little or no additional benefit. If the car's been run for years on supermarket E10, it might make more of a difference. But the merits (or otherwise) of premium fuels more properly belongs in another thread - and there are plenty on this forum to choose from!

I run mine on E5 as some of the two stroke garden machinery I work on in my job gets carburetor problems due too too much ethanol in E10
As an aside… Best solution for garden machinery is the Aspen premixed fuel (or Aspen 4 for mowers). Costs a bit more but never goes stale and everything runs better, uses less and seems quieter too. We use it all the time in commercial Sthil kit

As an aside… Best solution for garden machinery is the Aspen premixed fuel (or Aspen 4 for mowers). Costs a bit more but never goes stale and everything runs better, uses less and seems quieter too. We use it all the time in commercial Sthil kit
I'm dealing with customers kit and some won't pay the extra for aspen, with my own garden kit I run it dry when I'm not using it and in that respect I've never had a problem with mine

I have been advised to use in the past when the turbo on my Golf was sticking, also with Bravo diesel with EGR issues. After I started to use it I had no further EGR issues. Not saying its definitely what sorted that. I wonder if it increased the combustion temperature somehow?? My feeling is it helps cleaner running, but thats purely based on the above and gut feelings on it. Petrol treatment use on wheeler dealers clearly had a significant impact on emissions so appears to do something for petrol engines. I suppose it depends on the state of things. Heavy residues and gums might not respond.

Last edited:
I have been advised to use in the past when the turbo on my Golf was sticking, also with Bravo diesel with EGR issues. After I started to use it I had no further EGR issues. Not saying its definitely what sorted that. I wonder if it increased the combustion temperature somehow?? My feeling is it helps cleaner running, but thats purely based on the above and gut feelings on it. Petrol treatment use on wheeler dealers clearly had a significant impact on emissions so appears to do something for petrol engines. I suppose it depends on the state of things. Heavy residues and gums might not respond.
Raising the exhaust gas temperature by using additives like "cataclean" uses heat to burn off deposits. Also catalytic converters have to be hot to work properly so the raised exhaust gas temperature from additives will give them a boost. Additives do mostly work but effects are only temporary.

Back