Technical WTF is that noise!?!!?

Currently reading:
Technical WTF is that noise!?!!?

joesmith1990

Really annoying and unnerving grinding noise coming from engine bay when in neutral. Noise stops when clutch pedal is depressed. Methinks something to do with the clutch, but have also had problems engaging 1st and 2nd gear so could be linkage or something?

Any help would be much appreciated.

So, does it judder when reversing and accelerating in 1st?

No juddering whatsoever, to be honest, i only temporarily had problems engaging 1st and 2nd and that seems to be fine now. It's just the grinding noise while in neutral, its a nightmare because i dont have the money to pay to get someone to check it out, and i dont have the tools to take the gearbox off :S

had another look at the car today, grinding noise happens while in neutral and not moving, but stops with clutch depressed. While in gear, grinding noise only occurs while car is moving. Leads me to believe it must be something to do with the clutch as the only common thing is that the sound only occurs when clutch is released. What are the symptoms of a clutch slave cylinder failure?

Definitely the gearbox. When you push the clutch down everything in the gearbox stops. Hence no noise. When you release the clutch the shaft starts turning and the noise reappears. Usual thing is the bearing at the front of the gearbox fails leaving the input shaft to wobble around which causes the noise. Another byproduct of this is it damages the oil seal and allows gearbox oil to seep out. No oil in the gearbox is obviously a bad thing! The gearbox will eventually fail completely if not sorted.

tbh it sounds most likely to be the clutch bearing.. does it does when de-accelerating in 1st? my friends Honda civic is doing the same thing, how does the clutch pedal feel ?

Does it all the time when moving and in gear. But stops as soon as the clutch is depressed. Clutch pedal feels fine to me, but I've only had the car for about a month so I probably wouldnt know.

NOT the clutch bearing. A very common fault on punto/bravos but would give opposite symptom. Noise when pushing the clutch down. Gearbox noise will normally be worse in 1st and 2nd (because the input shaft moves at engine speed).

yeah it does sound like a bearing, does the noise only happen in 1st and 2nd ?

edit - I got proved wrong.:D

Havent really noticed if the noise is any worse in any particular gears. Whats leading me to believe it isn't the gearbox is that the noise occurs when in neutral and idling. Noise is deffinately coming from that area of the engine bay though.

Took the car out for a thorough test drive today. The grinding noise occurs in any gear, whether accelerating or decelarating, but then stops once the car stops and clutch is pushed in. Noise only stops when car is stationary and clutch is depressed, noise continues if car is moving with clutch depressed. Seems like the noise is getting worse which is slightly worrying.

No visible leaks under the car, would gearbox oil only leak while the car is moving?

Noise only stops when car is stationary and clutch is depressed, noise continues if car is moving with clutch depressed.

This is in all probability the input shaft bearing on its way out. As has been said before, probably the one at the bellhousing end. Unfortunately you've no way of knowing for certain without taking the gearbox off...
I've been there with the failed release bearing/clutch scenario and what you're describing is not that.

From the sound of it I think your gearbox sounds like it's giving up the ghost completely. Ther's pro "nd handbably no leaks because the oil's leaked out long ago! 2nd hand box is your only option I think.

Went to a garage today, mechanic took a listen and told me that the thrust bearing is knackered, so new clutch it is. Thats as long as i can easily sort out the other niggle which is probably an expensive engine management problem :S

it will deffo be thrust bearing had same thing on girlfriends brava it had worn to the point when i took gearbox of it fell into lots of bits onto the road

Back