Write off

Currently reading:
Write off

A

Ant Wells

Had my car damage assessed and the assessor has put in a report that it would not be economical to repair the car :(

As a result I will be offered cash, but how much would I be looking at? i.e. Do they offer a percentage of the market value and is there a way of getting them to increase the offer if I think it's too low?

Any advice would be welcomed as I don't want to get ripped off!!

Oh just to clarify it's an r plate 2.0 hgt, around 80k well serviced (unsure of cam belt change) not sure of the damage costs however, I think a new drivers wing and some suspension at the least.

Cheers guys!

Get a list together of all the work that has been done to the car recently especially things like head gasket, cambelts, etc...This matters a great deal to the value of a car when it comes to being written off.
The first offer will be derisory and should be almost an instant "No" so be prepared. Also look for similar cars on Autotrader etc. to get a true feel of how much it would cost you to replace the car with the same model in the same condition, age, modifications, etc.

ozric.jpg

"Doctor said to give up Keee-Babs. I said 'No, no-no'"
cheers.gif

My Members Page
OI! Road safety nutters!! George Orwell ment '1984' to be a warning, NOT a template!

they will offer you the market value according to parkers guide

Does anybody know what this is? I just tried to get it but had to pay?

You get nothing free, best to follow Oz-Al advice and as he says, refuse the first offer

'you get nothing for free' not true realy, you are using this forum for free :)

stephen

Right, been giving this some thought and I reckon they will bid you iro £350 - £450 to start, dependant on how much MOT is left.
As this http://pistonheads.co.uk/sales/1587918.htm is up for £995 I would hold out for at least £800.

ozric.jpg

cheers.gif

My Members Page
OI! Road safety nutters!! George Orwell ment '1984' to be a warning, NOT a template!

On "nothing for free" or my estimates? :s

ozric.jpg

cheers.gif

My Members Page

Doesn't have much mot left, due end of next month I think. Just checked the mileage and it's only 75k, got no reason to see why it would fail an mot, maybe besides the wear on the tyres.

So realistically looking at £700+?

Cheers for the info guys.

Oh and that pistonheads hgt was sold on eBay a couple of days ago for £700 so unless they withdrew the bids or something...it is rather nice though

I think the estimate is spot on,It's just that I don't use this forum for free,I am a member even though i don't log in every time

i dont log in everytime, and good on you and everyone eles that pays a fiver for membership! however the fact is still true you do get something for free. this forum is provided free of charge by Wimmy, we dont have to pay for membership, we dont have log in.

stephend

are you going to try and buy it back and fix on the cheap or just get another car?

Well I was lead to believe I would keep the car as it will be a cat d write off, but I'm thinking of buying a new one. If I get to keep it I'll probably sell it as spares or repairs as I don't have the provisions to repair it.

Received a call regarding cash settlement and to my surprise they offered £800 straight from the get go. They're letting me keep the car and only taking scrap value off so I get £750 overall AND they're not putting it down as a write off...pretty good deal overall :)

Not sure what to do with it now though, should I sell as spares or repair it and keep it, bear in mind it has no tax after this month and the mot runs out next month.

Cheers for your input guys.

Deffo repair if you can. New wing sprayed up will a couple of hundred and you can get wheels for £50 a set if you're lucky.
I'd still press them for more if I were you as that is a first offer. Sounds like you could easy get a grand out of them.
Nice to hear that value though. I think Shabash!'s value just went up a few hundred quid. ;)

ozric.jpg

cheers.gif

My Members Page

Well the guy I was speaking to said he was offering pretty much maximum straight away as they wanted to sort it asap so I accepted, I'm happy with that amount as I only paid £600 in the first place :)

id snap their arms right from the shoulder!! itll cost an easy few hundred to fix it...ur in blackpool if im right...take the car to r&b motors to fix, or do it urself and get the parts from andrew currans take it to bodytech to do ur wing. cheap cheap

boosig.jpg

I don't think I'm going to repair it. I'm going to use the money I get to buy a new one, thinking of that one advertised on pistonheads as it's better condition, cam belt recently done, not full leather (I was never keen on full leather) and yellow :)

As a result I'll be selling mine as spares or repairs, I don't have the guts to scrap it!

Anyone interested? ;)

Back