wow,what a difference!

Currently reading:
wow,what a difference!

Does the onspeed actually work? I intend to be using my GPRS a fair bit in the next months (free offer from orange). Would it mean my BB at uni will effectively browse at 24Mbit or does it only speed up very slow connections does anybody know?

Im afraid ill have to let you know, but if its crap it wont cost you any thing to try it and find out .. if it works then its not alot of money for what you gain (no i dont work for them or have shares in the company)

well BT have reciently signed up a deal to offer this with its products in the near future so must have some viability.

it does compress data, web browsing will be faster, email will be faster, but downloading cannot be compressed on the fly so to speak neither can game data be compressed (multiplayer) but for the user who wants broadband, but not the cost etc and just surf emails, think this will make things so much better

just checked this little page

What kind of speed increase can I expect with ONSPEED?Typically for web browsing you will see a 2-5 times speed

When downloading email this can go up to a 10 times speed increase. To see how fast your connection is, try using a bandwidth test like http://www.toast.net/performance/.

However, ONSPEED will not accelerate certain files such as MP3, Mpeg, EXE and streaming video, these files will pass through our servers without being accelerated.

explains how the compressing works on the fly like i thought etc

http://www.onspeed.com/en/speed.php

Give it a few millenia and BT will actually get rid of their pathetic copper lines and replace it with fibre optic, then we can all have OC-3 speed at almost no cost to the operator. The only problem being that the rest of the world would have to be just as fast to enable using such bandwidth.

Helz, go for ISDN, that's what I did until broadband reached me. £2k, is a little over the top for Satellite, you can get one way services for less than £20 per month, but there are various limitations, such as port blocking and it doesn't work with all protocols, but even two way Satellite is available for under £80 per month.

You could also wait until the electricity suppliers perfect delivery of data via your electricity supply. It has actually been possible for years, but there is very little development going into it, although Scottish Hydro Power did run trials a few years ago.

Another alternative is to wait for mobile technology to increase data speeds, then use your mobile as your modem, although if the current data prices for mobiles continue, that would be an expensive option.

If there is enough interest in your area, you could get a carrier mast set up locally, which would have to be privately funded, then you could use a wireless ADSL system.

At the end of the day, there are options available to you, if you don't like them, move house.

My quote is pwerhaps a little out of date now, someone here works for a satellite company and thoise were their charges perhaps this time last year. Obviously a lot cheaper now. I also know about the power cables trial - I used to live just outside of Stonie when they were conducting it ;). However same person informs me it's not exactly cost effective. Nothing is cost effective for us unlucky ones given there are so few of us and we live in rural areas. I have broadband, I got it in September when they upgraded cables and stuff round here and switched on the long range adsl, it's just cack. I also have 3g access on my phone so if I get at a funny angle at my back window or sit in the garden it's a lot faster than the PC.

Back