Workd Mileage

Currently reading:
Workd Mileage

Does anyone do any mileage for the company they work for. How much do you get per mile.

I get 40p per mile.

Did a journey to Shipley from Selby today (return), all in all travelled 88 miles, got about £35.20 out of it i think (y) .

40p per mile is the Revenue's Authorised Mileage Rate, for the first 10000 miles - 25p thereafter.

Get paid any more than that, and it becomes taxable.

If your employer pays you any less, you can claim the difference from the Revenue, but you will only get that back at your marginal rate of tax :)

EDIT - I presume you got relevant cover on your insurance? I used to have business class 2 on both the cars, now business class 1.

Last edited:
Oh, and in my case - I put through ALL my receipts for the car - repairs, fuel, road tax, insurance, hire purchase interest - and then disallow an element for personal mileage ;)

Plus claim capital allowances on the car as well :D

I get 13p a mile for fuelling my company car. The rate hasn't gone up since I started this job nearly 2 years ago despite fuel costs rising by 10% plus. :rolleyes:

That 40p/25p system is used by a few colleagues who are still on the old car scheme, where you get a tax-free car allowance of about £270/month plus the mileage rate... people make a fortune on that!

...by the way Joshua, I work a few miles up the road from you ;)

Wow. where do you live.

Most of my business mileage that i do consists of going to collect sandwiches/post/supplies etc just from Selby Town Centre (we are about 2 miles out of town). But i occasionally do longer trips (such as the one today). Where the 40p per miles comes in handy.

I know that it is supposed to pay for full wear and tear on your car as well (tax/insurance/tyres/servicing etc). But it is nice to receive £35, which is nearly a full tankfull of fuel in my Stilo for using about 1/6 of a tank (y)

I get 43p/mile & am amazed when I log every little journey how the mileage mounts up. Just going across town is a 6 mile return journey. I put in a claim every 6 - 8 weeks & it's always over 100 miles each time.
Last wednesday I had to drive around the 25 & spent the return journey with my feet up waiting for them to shift an overturned transporter.
I got £75 for fuel:D (y) and booked a 10 hour day - 5 of which I was sat, relaxing, supping pepsi & munching pringles (the empty tube makes a great P pot BTW so I wasn't busting to go).

Back