Technical Won't Start!!!

Currently reading:
Technical Won't Start!!!

handyman60

Hi All,

I've had my 2007 Grande Punto for many years and until today, never had an issue starting the engine.
Yesterday I drove about 100 miles and last night, all was good.
This morning however, the car wouldn't start - the starter motor was silent, no clicks or any sign of life. The ignition turned on all the usual dashboard lights, radio works, electric windows work - so the battery seems ok (and has not been an issue recently).
Can anyone give me some pointers as to what the problem might be and what I should investigate further, it would be appreciated.

Many thanks,

Malcolm

You didn't by chance have the lock icon in your dashboard? The icon below the red battery icon.

I once got that icon in very cold weather and the car would not make any effort or sound to start. Just dashboard lights, but nothing else, no mattery how many times I tried to start the car. To fix it, I held the key fully in the start position for 10 seconds, released and then turned the car "off". Then I started again, and it started normally.

1638268709717.png

Thanks for your observations. When turned on, all my lights are on - like your photo, initially - but after a few seconds, only the red lights and the yellow engine symbol are lit. so probably not the same issue.

Thanks again.

negative battery / earth lead from battery negative terminal to gearbox is worth checking. Common issue is they snap internally so look OK from the outside, but underneath the insulation the wire has frayed/snapped

pictures in this thread: https://www.fiatforum.com/threads/the-electrical-gremlin-thread.318839/#post-3176846

follow the cable going from negative battery terminal, to the chassis (near screenwash bottle), then from there to the gearbox. Remove it and give everything a good clean with wire brush, and make sure the cable isn't snapped.

also described in that thread is a test you can do by running a jump lead from negative battery terminal to somewhere on the engine/gearbox - and if car starts with that in place, you know the earth lead is broken/weak

The key trick didn't improve things but following some wiggling of wires and under bonnet plugs, it has started. But I am mindful that the problem will return and the earth lead link could be very helpful. Many thanks.

Maybe the battery terminals were loose. Check them and make sure they are tight.
The earth lead you can check using a multimeter. Mesure the voltage on the battery, than keep the multimeter (+) lead on the battery (+) and move the multimeter (-) lead on the engine. If there are differences in measured voltages, there's a problem with the lead. Also, while you measure the voltage with the (-) lead on the engine, wiggle the earth cable and see if the measured voltage drops.

As of now, the car has continued to start but that's another great tip to check out the earth wiring if (and when) there is a reoccurrence.
This type of exchange is a real gold mine for the good intentioned DIYer!!!

Back