General wiring

Currently reading:
General wiring

DEUSMAN

Hi
Please can anyone give me some info, I have a 2014 panda 1.2 petrol I am in the process of fitting a tow bar I have got the live wire from the back into the glove box and just seen there are two spare slots in the fuse box how would I go about wiring my wire into one of the spare slots.
Thanks
Paul

Hi
you are better off or getting this method
you need to buy the correct kit hat just plugs into you rear light plug harness otherwise you will get major cambus issues bulb failier issue and all sorts
Luigi

You can use pretty much any canbus adaptorkit(at least what ive done with my 169 panda) that you provide with a hot wire from the battery...
I adapted one for a volvo that was on sale for less than a front bulb... When theres current in a bulb in the rear lights it feeds current directly to the hitch from the battery...
(Edit: i just gave mine an in line fuse near the battery)

Thanks for your reply please can you tell me where I can buy one and what to ask for

Thanks for your reply please can you tell me where I can buy one and what to ask for
Well, to do that id highly recommend you spend the time to study how they work so you dont need to ask, as if youd need a premade wiring diagram theres a good chance of ending up with something that doesnt work.

What i did was take a diagram of the plug i wanted for the trailer, got those labelled into the boot throgh a gromet.

Then i found each wire in the rear lights (left and right) and pulled wires to the same spot in the boot, labelled with where they went to/from.

Took a thick (fused) wire, from the battery, through the big gromet in the top of the firewall ziptied it safely down one side of the car under plastic trim and took it out in the boot.
I made it thick enough that I could run a cigarette lighterplug for a cooling box if i ever feel I need that..

From there i bought a can-bus hitch wirering set for some volvo? From something called biltema. It said all warranty void and danger if modified... So dont do what I did... At least not without making sure you understand any potential dangers and you are willing to take those risks..

In the manual for the relays it said what goes in where and what comes out where with nice colour coding, this is where all the labelling comes in, left blinker in got soldered to left blinker in, in the relay, and the one in the plug by the hitch got the same treatment, ground, fog light, etc etc...
I think the relay was for a 11plug and I wanted a 7, so off with the not needed wires, and done...

Again it might not be worth the savings if you are not comfortable with doing it, as any damage to the car following might negate your savings...

Hi
Tobias please can you tell me how you got the live wire into the engine bay.
Thanks
Paul

There will be a proper kit for your car
My fiorino kit was all pre made ready yo go, all you have to do is unplug the plugs to the rear lights the ones you unplug plug into into the cambus kit then plug another set of rear light plugs from the kit back on the rear lights
Then get the tow hitch and feed to tow bar
Everything is included in the kit connectors, cable ties and tow bar plug
There is no running wires to battery
My kit was about £30
LUIGI

Last edited:
ecs-electronics.co.uk I believe are based in Scarborough. They sell a very good plug in kit for the Panda which comes with great detailed fitting instructions that are all correct. I paid £125 about 3 years ago this compared favorably with the 7 way relay kits.

7 way relays are good but a pain to wire up and there are a lot of points to solder. 7 way relays use so little current they DO NOT affect can bus so ignore anyone who says other wise. I have fitted a lot to many different cars with CAN bus wiring including Renault, Ford Vauxhall, VW and Fiat.

There is a grommet through to the cabin from the n/s (left) wheel arch that can be found when the plastic liner is removed from the left front wheel arch allowing the wire to be pulled through from the wheel arch. feed a wire into the car, attach your power wire and then pull it back. its fiddly but I used a bit of garden wire to feed right through into the footwell as a tow through for the power wire.

Go to the battery direct NOT the fuse box. You cannot guarantee the wire feed to the fuse box is sufficiently rated.

Use a 30A wire or 2 15As in series. I recently bought some fuses that have an LED light that shows when powered and use these for my towing wires. This is worth its weight in Gold on a dark night when a failed fuse is immediately apparent!

Last edited:
Thank you panda nut
I am going to buy one of the kits if they are easy to fit.
thanks again

Hi
Tobias please can you tell me how you got the live wire into the engine bay.
Thanks
Paul
Theres a big gromet under the centre of the dash [edit: through the firewall] in the panda I have, it went through there... Though not in a pretty way...

Last edited:
Back