wiper linkage -fix!

Currently reading:
wiper linkage -fix!

sambucajoe

Few weeks back I posted about a problem with the ball joints on the wiper linkage. Basically, the way they are designed means they slip off after a fair few years wear and tear.

Well, it would appear a common solution was to replace all or part of the linkage which could cost more pounds than you would like. I saw several instances when people had paid out for a new motor as well! Ouch (n)

I carried out a lot of research and stumbled across... A website offering a spring loaded clip, designed specifically for such problems. So, as promised, here is my full (& brief) report on the fix.

http://www.askthemechanic.co.uk/wipers/index.html

I ordered two, one for a back up, and it was under a tenner for both :)
Its been on for about 3 or 4 weeks now, with no problems at all. It was pretty tight to get it on, I'd advise a bit of lubricant on there to help. There is a video for guidance on the website. Excellent little bit of kit, every home should have one.

It looks ok so far, theres a bit of movement in it and I greased it up when I first put it on. Its starting to show some rust though, sure I read that it was galvanised :s

Doesn't matter if it was galvanised within a few mins of use you would have rubbed the coating off anywhere that other parts move against it and let the corrosion set in.

I took the arms off and turned them upside down so in theory it should last a good few years yet

Hows the clip holding out.? is it still working or have you had to change it since.?

my passenger wiper arms just started popping off and not sure if to buy one of these or get a new arm.

thanks.

Back