Technical Winter tyres

Currently reading:
Technical Winter tyres

It is okay, but they will wear more quickly and not give the same stopping power on dry roads as summer tyres.

A compromise tyre (all weather) is still a compromise of course ;)

I'm running Matador winters at the moment and they are far quieter than the summers, and also don't let go in the wet and cold. It's only been below freezing for a few nights, but they hung on well. My summers hate all rain, no matter what the temperature , and spin at the slightest chance.

But I will be changing the Doblo for something lighter and more economical as soon as I can afford to, but even so I'll be having dedicated winters on my next car too - unless I can find a really good all weather tyre of course :D

you can buy all season tyres but some say they are not as good as winters in the winter and not as good as summers in the summer.

you can run winters in summer but they warm quicker than summers so never skip a weekly tyre presure check as under inflation and heat = blow out, maybe even check twice weekly to be safe

Interesting article thanks Dave. Having looked at the Uniroyal website the rainexperts on my Dobin are (now) in the summer category and there's a whole new section for a new all season tyre. Strange I would never have bought rainexperts for their summer capabilities.
So insurance companies are already rating winter tyres as a modification and charging more I wonder how long before they climb fully on board and start rejecting winter claims on summer tyres and summer claims on winter tyres and charging more for running with either!

Last edited:
So insurance companies are already rating winter tyres as a modification and charging more I wonder how long before they climb fully on board and start rejecting winter claims on summer tyres and summer claims on winter tyres and charging more for running with either!

I've not read the link but as long as they're a size approved in you handbook, type approved and on OEM rims you'll be fine and they can't void a policy / claim.

Back