General Tyres need changing.

Currently reading:
General Tyres need changing.

Hi,

At the moment Pirelli P1 185/65 R15 88T are on the car. They're ok, but there is a bit of cracking on the side walls and between the treads (6 years old).

10 minutes on Google and there is a baffling array of alternatives!!

Which do I choose to fit this time? Pirelli, Continental, Goodyear, Michelin, Bridgestone etc or are some of the mid range makes just as good?

Very grateful for any tips.

Cheers

Ron

I recently fitted a set of four Falken Sincera SN110 econorun tyres to my Ibiza estate. At 6 years old it's original Bridgestones were cracking although not quite yet worn out. Of course the Bridgestones were age degraded so not gripping very well any more, especially in the wet. I've not been particularly impressed with the Bridgestone's wet performance even when they were new. The Falkens have really pepped up the general feel of the car and the wet grip is very noticeably better - as would be expected from new rubber.

I'm very pleased with them and, in fact, have two on the Panda as well!

Screenshot_20220627-191720.png

These tyres are the Dunlop sport blu response I was wanting parellis but they didn't have them in stock so I got these ones about £4 cheaper
Having started off my working life in the tyre industry I'm always interested in tyres and I'd be very interested to know how you get on with these. Back in those days Dunlop was a huge player in the market, were a very well regarded name in the tyre industry and were well known for tyres which gripped well but tended to wear a little more quickly than many others - often a "problem" with a tyre which gives good grip as the degree of grip is, to some extent, linked to how "soft" the tread compound is and the softer the tread rubber then the quicker it will wear - It's pretty much a trade off you can't escape although tread design can also contribute to grip, especially in the wet.

The Dunlop brand changed hands a few times not so long ago and I believe is now owned by Sumitomo? - Who are the people who also own the Falken brand which I like very much. They are now a smaller "player", similar to Firestone which also used to be a tyre "giant" who were bought by Bridgestone.

I'll be very surprised if you find any significant fault with the way they behave on your car and I think you can full have confidence in them. I haven't looked at Dunlops for quite a while and I'm wondering if you would like to share roughly what you paid for them with us?

Hello mate av only been driving a little over 12 months av had davanti's there not to bad as I had them on the fiat Punto mk2 front wheel drive they worn down quite quickly all depends on the driving and corning to be honest these Dunlop's are ment to be 1 of the best I have just had a look and I paid a little over £300 for them av drove less that 50 mile so as far as I know there a well good brand av spoke to mates about them and there say is they are really good in the top 5 best now I don't have the fiat Punto anymore I can't yous them on my new car av kept the alloys and tyres and scrapped the car

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestions.
There's far too much choice nowadays! So many tyres seem to be ok, making it difficult to single out one.

In the end I went for Continental EcoContact 6, 185/65 R15 88H (£80 each from Asda) these had a label rating of A for fuel economy and wet weather grip.

They were fitted about 500 miles ago and seem ok....as for the label ratings...we'll see how they perform.

Thanks again

Ron

Back