Technical Wing Mirrors

Currently reading:
Technical Wing Mirrors

130JTD

Hi All, quick query, My partner went out to her 2017 Anniverserio today and someone has stolen a wing mirror while its been parked on our drive. The door thankfully hasn't been damaged, looks like they knew what they where doing, even took the bolts. Just looking at replacements, will any 500 electric mirror do the job or are they different after 2015? Also does the chome cap just push on if I get a plain or painted one. Advice very much appreciated. Thanks

Hi All, quick query, My partner went out to her 2017 Anniverserio today and someone has stolen a wing mirror while its been parked on our drive. The door thankfully hasn't been damaged, looks like they knew what they where doing, even took the bolts. Just looking at replacements, will any 500 electric mirror do the job or are they different after 2015? Also does the chome cap just push on if I get a plain or painted one. Advice very much appreciated. Thanks
Condolences.

Fortunately this is a rare occurence. You're also fortunate they didn't cut the wiring, though it's easy enough to just uncouple the connector.

I'm surprised more of these don't go 'missing'. They're easy to remove from outside the car; it only takes a minute or two and all you need is an allen key, easily concealed in a pocket.

Replacement is simple enough. You're going to have to source new bolts anyway, so maybe consider some sort of security fastening; there are plenty of options to choose from. OTOH, that may just make it more likely the next thief will damage the door removing it.

If you buy a mirror with the chrome cover already fitted, you won't need to remove it to fit the mirror to the door. If you need to fit a chrome cover to the replacement mirror, you need to take the mirror glass out first (firm finger pressure from behind the glass), then the tabs you need to free off to release the old cover will be clearly visible. It just clips in.

The method of attachment is shown in the picture below.

Attachments

• Door mirror.jpg
    Door mirror.jpg
    966.6 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Condolences.

Fortunately this is a rare occurence. You're also fortunate they didn't cut the wiring, though it's easy enough to just uncouple the connector.

I'm surprised more of these don't go 'missing'. They're easy to remove from outside the car; it only takes a minute or two and all you need is an allen key, easily concealed in a pocket.

Replacement is simple enough. You're going to have to source new bolts anyway, so maybe consider some sort of security fastening; there are plenty of options to choose from. OTOH, that may just make it more likely the next thief will damage the door removing it.

If you buy a mirror with the chrome cover already fitted, you won't need to remove it to fit the mirror to the door. If you need to fit a chrome cover to the replacement mirror, you need to take the mirror glass out first (firm finger pressure from behind the glass), then the tabs you need to free off to release the old cover will be clearly visible. It just clips in.

The method of attachment is shown in the picture below.
Yes, watched a video online to see if it was in my skill set to fit a new one, could not believe how quick and easy they are to remove, both new and used they don’t seem expensive so I’m surprised someone thought it worth the risk to steal one (also surprised they didn’t take the pair if they where that desperate!)

Just need to find out if there is a difference post 2015 as online some are listing them as a separate item to pre 2015.

Remember the passenger side has the temperature sensor in it, check any version you buy has this if it's that side missing?
Good spot.

IIRC the temperature sensor is only fitted to models with A/C.

Depending on where you buy a replacement, you may also need to source the lower plastic cover panel.

Last edited:
It'll be someone local..

Check out the neighbourhood 500s for a mirror that looks like yours. Their car is likely to have chrome mirrors, since I doubt that they stole your chrome mirror just to get a mirror, when they only needed a plain/painted one.

Then.. steal their *other* mirror. They'll know exactly where to nick one from, so they'll soon be round. Just invest in a crossbow so you can camp out waiting for them to come... :D

If you end up buying a second-hand mirror and caps separately, then make sure the caps are actual caps and not "veneers". Any chrome cap that's too cheap is likely to be just a stick-on cover. You need the genuine styley caps that are proper caps (with tabs on the back).

Ralf S.

It'll be someone local..

Check out the neighbourhood 500s for a mirror that looks like yours. Their car is likely to have chrome mirrors, since I doubt that they stole your chrome mirror just to get a mirror, when they only needed a plain/painted one.

Then.. steal their *other* mirror. They'll know exactly where to nick one from, so they'll soon be round. Just invest in a crossbow so you can camp out waiting for them to come... :D

If you end up buying a second-hand mirror and caps separately, then make sure the caps are actual caps and not "veneers". Any chrome cap that's too cheap is likely to be just a stick-on cover. You need the genuine styley caps that are proper caps (with tabs on the back).

Ralf S.

Ahh, didn’t know there was more than one type of chrome caps, will keep an eye out for that.

Managed to get the part number from fiat so hopefully that will help in getting the right one.

No crossbow unfortunately might be a worthy investment!

Ahh, didn’t know there was more than one type of chrome caps, will keep an eye out for that.

Managed to get the part number from fiat so hopefully that will help in getting the right one.

No crossbow unfortunately might be a worthy investment!
If you have a Fiat part number then it'll be the proper clip-on type of cap. The stick-on ones are aftermarket "bling" accessories made by unknown manufacturers and available on eBay etc. Fiat don't make a stick-on one.

Ralf S.

Back