General Windshield trim

Currently reading:
General Windshield trim

Has anyone had any experience replacing the windshield and back window plastic/chrome trim that is embedded into the window gasket? The trim is old on my "L" model and I just ordered some replacement from Van der Laan. I was just going to pry it out and have a go at trying to push it back in.

Removing is easy, pull the joiner out if it has one. Then lift one end out with a screwdriver then you should be able to just pull the rest out. Then to install the new trim you will need a tool that makes it easy. I usually spray the area with washing up liquid/water mixture, this makes it easier to work with the tool.
Start at the middle of the screen by inserting the tool in the rubber, this expands the gap in which you place the end of the trim. Then slowly move around the screen keeping pressure on the tool keeping the trim in the rubber. When you get to the end remove the tool, cut the trim to length & use a plastic spreader to ease the remaining section in it's gap. Don't use a screwdriver otherwise if you slip you could be looking at some paintwork or a new screen. ImageUploadedByFIAT Forum1425840446.022739.jpg

Last edited:
Right then, I should be able to make one from a metal coat hanger then. 30 something dollars seems a bit much for a one use tool. I say that now, but might not feel the same way after a few hours of struggling. :cry:

Has anyone had any experience replacing the windshield and back window plastic/chrome trim that is embedded into the window gasket? The trim is old on my "L" model and I just ordered some replacement from Van der Laan. I was just going to pry it out and have a go at trying to push it back in.
Hi

As my screen was out during the rebuild, I installed the chrome strip into the new rubber first, left the ends of the chrome strip with excess available for the final joint and clip cover, then I fitted the rubber and chrome strip to the screen all in one. It worked fine and the chrome can be worked into a free screen rubber easily. Final cut of the chrome strip ends to join neatly and fit the trim clip to complete.

Cheers
Hugh Jarce

Back