General Windscreen Wipers

Currently reading:
General Windscreen Wipers

I'm sure that is normal, because not all rain is going to come down really fast, it's just for when you get a drizzle.

Cheers

It is normal, unfortunately there is no in between wipe, like 1 second.

It's constant, or slow!

always found the fully on level to be too fast. onthe motor way they do tent to flick off the actual car.

and intimitant isnt too good either. i think its still a tad fast. i end up flicking the lever alot of the time tbh.

look on the bright side though, atleast they work? :p

My Celica has a speed control on the intermittent, from about 1sec upto about 10ish, has 5 settings. Even the rear wiper two settings, intermittent and on. Something I dislike on Fiats (and other cars) is the rear wiper is either on or off, its better to have intermittent as the rear screen no matter how heavy the rain never necessitates full on.

Also all MK2 Metro's, Maestro's and Montego's which shared column controls had this function, I have never known why no one else does this, I really like it.

I'm sure it's possible, but really you'd have to compare the wiring diagrams from the aforementioned cars with the FIAT one and then work out how to add the function. Wonder how they did the timing?

On the Cinqs, can't say that lack of intermittent ever worried me on the rear, simply because I never find myself having to clear it more than every 5 minutes or so.

Yes it's on motorway/dual carriageway driving in rain especially if doing long runs like when I go back up to Glasgow 7 hours on road and an intermittent rear wiper would be nice as I like to know what's behind me especially on those roads.

Though it does look decent on many cars I would never remove the rear wiper because of this just half hour of motorway driving in rain and the back window is filthy and hard to make out exactly what is behind you. this is even more of an issue when driving in winter with the salt on the roads, i don't understand how anyone with a hatch back and no wiper can drive safely :confused:

strange but true... a lot of ppl have faulty motors... yet to pass an MOT the back wiper has to actually move if it has a wiper blade attached...

like me, a lot of ppl remove the wiper so it passes an MOT, as for the driving safely, what about the ppl with tinted windows? i never had a problem with dirty windows, just use my mirrors...

maybe its me but sometimes when it rains the setting i.e the one that has a 2 or 3 second delay don't seem to do anything(it alright for a bit of drizzle) and the other one seems to be alright when there is a down pour of rain. so i am constantly flicking from one to the other. i remember i had this problem with my cortina mk2 and i bought a wiper control box which you could determin how fast you want the wipers to go. i wonder if there are any shops which still do this?

Ricky

In the vaux community, people were swapping the wiper relays with programmable VW ones. Don't think it would be difficult to do the same to the Cinq?

It worked by turning on the wiper then turn it off for however long you wanted the delay for then turn the wiper on and leave it on. It then worked at that interval.

It is sometimes called the 'Easytronic' wiper module, and it allows you to vary the delay between wipes to anywhere between 2 and 45 seconds.

It requires no other switches, knobs, wiring, or controls. To fit it, all you need to do is simply remove your old wiper relay and fit the new one. That’s it!!!

Once fitted, setting or adjusting the time delay is easy:-

1. Push the wiper switch to intermittent so it wipes once. (But don’t let its click into place, Allow the switch to return to the off position)

2. Wait until you need to wipe again. (The relay remembers this time delay)

3. Set the wiper switch so it ‘clicks’ into the intermittent position

The time delay remembered in step 2. Will now be repeated.

This delay can be adjusted as often as required, as the weather conditions change.

If you switch the wipers to intermittent, without setting a time, then a default 'standard' time is used.

Once the wipers have been switched off for more than or 1 minute, or the ignition is switched off, the remembered time is lost, and unless a new time is programmed the default time is used.

They are fitted to mid nineties Golfs and Passats which is where this particular relay came from.

The VW part number is:- 357 955 531 (the one with 99 on the end)

Last edited:
Back