Technical Windscreen washer pump not working

Currently reading:
Technical Windscreen washer pump not working

IAFYM

Hi, My 06 Grande Punto has just failed its MOT because the screen washer is not working.

When I pull or push the screenwash stalk I can't hear the screenwasher pump working at all and no jets of water but the wipers will still go through their cycle. The car is going in for a new pump on Monday, but I've been reading away about similar issues (on other fiat cars, can't find anything for mine) and people are saying that there are all sorts of issues it can be. This is getting me worried because I don't want to pay for the pump to be replaced and its another issue which ends up being stupid expensive to fix.

Could it be as simple as a new pump or is there anything else it could be? I read somewhere that there could be an earth issue? If it was an earth issue where would I need to look? I know there is all kinds of things with the rear lights and earth issues. Could there be a fuse that has blown or anything? Where would the fuse be for the washer pump?

Is there anything I should look for, or is putting a new pump a sensible thing to try?

The more I read, the more worried I'm getting that It'll be something that just wont be fixable. Any help or advice anyone can give would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

easiest and first thing to check would be the fuse,

Where would the fuse be? And is it easy to get to? Sorry I know pretty much nothing about cars.

So the pumps fail? I mean is that a plausible explanation as to why is not working? Because when I pull the screen wash stalk in the car it goes through the motions just nothing from the pump. No sound (in both front and back Windows) but the wipers go through their cycles, does that mean everything else is potentially working fine? Am worried that there is a huge electrical gremlin or something.

Where would the fuse be? And is it easy to get to? Sorry I know pretty much nothing about cars.

So the pumps fail? I mean is that a plausible explanation as to why is not working? Because when I pull the screen wash stalk in the car it goes through the motions just nothing from the pump. No sound (in both front and back Windows) but the wipers go through their cycles, does that mean everything else is potentially working fine? Am worried that there is a huge electrical gremlin or something.

https://www.fiatforum.com/miscellan...ed-screenwash-pump-tank-focus-tdci-gars5.html

it will be in the handbook if you dont have one you can get it here https://www.fiatforum.com/downloads.php?categoryid=20

Thank you both for your replies, I really don't know anything about cars so for anything other than checking the fuse I don't think I could do and I've got no idea how I would even check for 12v going to the pump.

The fuse I can check but I see that it's a fuse next to the steering wheel behind that little hole bit. But I really cannot understand how to open it, it says there are two screws but the only screws I can feel are up behind the plastic lip with no way of getting the screw driver into them. Any ideas?

Attachments

• 20210131_215646.jpg
    20210131_215646.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 24
it will be in the handbook if you dont have one you can get it here https://www.fiatforum.com/downloads.php?categoryid=20

I'd long lost my manual, So glad that there is still a way to see it. Although, mine is a 2006 GP with the old blue fiat badge - I assume that the stuff in the 07 manual is the same anyway as they're still the same car?

Ok.. this explains it well

https://www.fiatforum.com/grande-punto/237598-missing-fusebox.html?237598=#post2497577

Remember you want fuse #5 its a 20A
So Yellow in colour

So, its not even behind that bit next to the steering wheel. Was really struggling to open it. I wonder why the manual says to unscrew it when it appears as though you just need to unclip it and the internal fuse box isnt even in there!.

It's actually going into the garage tomorrow to get it fixed, I just hope its something as simple as the pump has stopped working and just needs a new one (or a new fuse) otherwise I feel its time to say goodbye to the GP.

Thank you both for your help... I really appreciate it. Fingers crossed its easy to fix!

Do let us know what they found ;)

So, I took it to the garage and it turned out both the pump and the fuse had gone, both have been replaced and now working fine and my car passed its MOT. The mechanic guy said that the pump had totally seized up. It cost me £48 to have the pump changed and the fuse replaced and labour costs.

However, when I got it back I noticed that my heater blower thing wasnt working anymore and luckily the garage have taken responsibility for it (was working fine when it went in) and are going to fix it. They've ordered the new blower and I'm just waiting for them to have availability to take it in again (in two weeks time) so its going to be a cold few days driving around!.

Thanks for all the information and help, I really appreciate it.

Last edited:
It's actually going into the garage tomorrow to get it fixed, I just hope its something as simple as the pump has stopped working and just needs a new one (or a new fuse) otherwise I feel its time to say goodbye to the GP.

I think this should be put into dictionary. As a definition for "How to overreact".

Back