Technical Windscreen replacement - options?

Currently reading:
Technical Windscreen replacement - options?

Just a quick update.

I wasn't able to source (within a reasonable distance) an original OEM used Pilkington glass (which would have been my preferred option).

I contacted 5 companies around Bradford/Halifax and surprisingly most would fit a used screen for between £60-95. Fiat wanted £438.19 for a genuine screen (and that’s not for the heated windscreen version!). New aftermarket ones were between £210-220 fitted which is reasonable I guess. Apparently there is no real choice with aftermarket, you get what your given and what’s in stock with the supplier(s).

I just booked the car in with the company closest. Ideally I wanted a screen that was produced from reputable company but they couldn’t specify. I believe they use Charles Pugh Glass LTD. It was a quick job, in and out within 45 mins. I was impressed with the service, less so with screen itself. It’s made from a company called Lamishield® (never heard of them!?).

You can tell it’s an inferior product from the way it’s cut, bonded together and the scuttle panel that clips into the rubber strip at the bottom of the windscreen doesn’t fit well at all. Its budget glass at best.

I think with any replacement glass, it’s a Russian roulette, I’m not sure if the bigger players use more well-known brands, but I suspect not in this era of cost cutting. I just hope the glass stands up well to a couple more years of driving and then the car will be past its sell-by-date anyway.

Thanks for the update; sorry that you didn't quite get the end result you were hoping for.

But even if you'd paid £438.19 to Fiat (did that include fitting?), it could have been hit by a stone driving home.

And I'll bet most OEM screens from breakers have a fair amount of accumulated wear & tear, and possibly removal rash.

At least you've got a serviceable screen that'll pass an MOT and, fingers crossed, see out the remaining time you have with the car.

It’s made from a company called Lamishield® (never heard of them!?)
Sounds like a veterinary medication for a juvenile ovine.

Last edited:
I think with any replacement glass, it’s a Russian roulette, I’m not sure if the bigger players use more well-known brands, but I suspect not in this era of cost cutting. I just hope the glass stands up well to a couple more years of driving and then the car will be past its sell-by-date anyway.

I got a stonechip within a few weeks of taking delivery of my Panda. Autoglass came to repair it, but in so doing turned the chip into a crack. I waited ages for them to fit a replacement (at their cost), but when they did it was Fiat-stickered OEM (Pilkington), I presume because it's heated and there's no aftermarket version.

I’ve put through three windscreen ‘claims’ on cars past and present with no detrimental effect to my premiums. But then my insurance specifically notes that this is the case, not all do, with a £25 excess on window cover.
In my past I’ve fitted screens, including bonded ones but, since leaving the trade, I have only done bonded rear screens and side glasses myself. I don’t trust many of the cheap kits and always buy decent gear and have never fitted a second hand one.
Delamination of used screens is common as is scratching/removing/damaging the ‘blacked out’ portion of the screen surround. This band is there to stop UV degeneration of the bonding medium

Just a quick update.

I wasn't able to source (within a reasonable distance) an original OEM used Pilkington glass (which would have been my preferred option).

I contacted 5 companies around Bradford/Halifax and surprisingly most would fit a used screen for between £60-95. Fiat wanted £438.19 for a genuine screen (and that’s not for the heated windscreen version!). New aftermarket ones were between £210-220 fitted which is reasonable I guess. Apparently there is no real choice with aftermarket, you get what your given and what’s in stock with the supplier(s).

I just booked the car in with the company closest. Ideally I wanted a screen that was produced from reputable company but they couldn’t specify. I believe they use Charles Pugh Glass LTD. It was a quick job, in and out within 45 mins. I was impressed with the service, less so with screen itself. It’s made from a company called Lamishield® (never heard of them!?).

You can tell it’s an inferior product from the way it’s cut, bonded together and the scuttle panel that clips into the rubber strip at the bottom of the windscreen doesn’t fit well at all. Its budget glass at best.

Stoneacre cleckheaton and army’ clarkes Huddersfield or Leeds, I used to like playing these off against each other but now it’s just a club of incompetence and disinterest
Autoscreens came and did my cross, at the farm, it was an oem one

It's the insurance industry's version of shrinkflation.

This sort of thing is trending across the whole economy; it can be summed up as "Pay more, get less".

:mad:
I sum it up more succinctly as RIP OFF. I do accept that claims are increasingly costly because of labour and other cost rises so increases are inevitable but over inflationary rises are just a RIP OFF. Not helped by Fiats parts pricing which is an even bigger RIP OFF.

I think the bottom line is we all know insurers will try everything possible to rebuff all claims so be sure NEVER to give them any ammo.

but over inflationary rises are just a RIP OFF

Just about everything I've bought recently seems to have gone up by way more than the rate of inflation. Service contracts which auto renew at RPI +5.9% are commonplace nowadays.

Makes me wonder just how they calculate inflation. That calculation is a rip off in its own right.

Just about everything I've bought recently seems to have gone up by way more than the rate of inflation. Service contracts which auto renew at RPI +5.9% are commonplace nowadays.

Makes me wonder just how they calculate inflation. That calculation is a rip off in its own right.
It’s price gouging

Thought I’d just post a few pictures of what I mean. The rubber strip on the base of the screen, where the scuttle panel clips into, isn’t correct as the scuttle doesn’t clip into it far enough to sit flush no matter how much you press on it.

Moreover, I’ve just been applying some rain-x to the screen and I can feel the screen surface is not flat. It “dips” down towards the middle of the screen on both sides (manufacturing quirk!?). Yes they may all meet minimum standards but not all screens are manufactured the same high standards.

On reflection, if my insurance provider used a company that fitted an OEM screen as some have suggested theirs do on this thread, then the difference between £100 excess and “possible” increase on premiums for a couple of years would have been worthwhile vs the outright cost of supplying and fitted a genuine screen myself.

Oh well you live and learn!

Attachments

• IMG_7435.jpeg
    IMG_7435.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_7434.jpeg
    IMG_7434.jpeg
    922 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_7432.jpeg
    IMG_7432.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_7433.jpeg
    IMG_7433.jpeg
    920.6 KB · Views: 14

I make a point of ringing and emailing the offenders and making a lot of it. SO far all have agreed to cut back to teh 10% rate. It just offends me that they all think they can carry on ripping everyone off. We are going to lose our landline if the phone company tries to raise it and do broadband via a mobile phone. Just keep an old phone permanently connected. I think it would be cheaper overall. No standing charge and disconnect if we go away and zero the cost altogether. Its just greed.

Back