windscreen cracked

Currently reading:
windscreen cracked

J

Jason

Hi again Guys, got a stone chip the other day passenger side while driving which has now turned into a crack about 30cm long so need my windscreen replacing.is this a job that i could attempt myself or is it best left to someone that knows what they are doing.there is couple of brava's at my local scrapyard but dont know if i have the skills to get one out without breaking it

any ideas how much its likely to cost me?
or does anyone local fancy a job? (northants)

ive got a cracked windscreen too its like an L shape the way its gone for soome reason,its just under and above the wiper passengerside.Ive been quoted £60 from my insurer to get replaced.I have looked into the scrapyards but its just getting someone to fit it,so you might get 1 for £20 and pay someome £20 so ya only saving £20 but it could fall out on you if not fitted correctly.
Im going via insurer when my car is back on rd.

Mike

if you have the option to let the insurance do it go for it, I had to have a new screen on my van and it took the guy about 2 hours, old screen was a pig to get out.

exactly ^ a mate had to fit a new windscreen on a car he was painting and cracked it all putting it back in to wich costed him as he had to get auotglass out to supply and fit a new one.
Get your cover notes out and have a nosey at how much itll be,itll be worth it in the long run.

On most insurances you would not lose your no claims bonus for glass breakage

i dont have any windscreen cover on my insurance any other ideas?

:s just have to ring a few windscreen companies up and see how much they charge,or try get one from a scrappie and get someone to fit it suppose?

With the windows being bonded it's not an easy job. best thing is to ring around

It's bloody expensive at Autoglass. I also wasn't covered and ended up having to pay around £300-400 I think. So when my insurance renewal came around I added on the cover and guess what...it cracked again. £75 this time still alot of money.

The problem is the first time they changed it they must have broken the paint a bit and now its rusting around the top in two patches. You don't always get a better job from the professionals....

thats not good to hear.but on another note paying that bit extra ontop of your premium is a safer and cheaper option.Id rather pay £75 than 3-£400!

Back when I had to replace the windscreen on my old HGT, I went to Auto Windscreens.

IIRC, price was about £150 fitted...as I didn't have windscreen cover back then.