Technical Will not start warning light with image of a car with a lock

Currently reading:
Technical Will not start warning light with image of a car with a lock

paulcrema

We have a 2016 500x with the 2.4 litre motor. It will not start. All the dash lights light up as normal . There appears two messages: service keyless entry system and a yellow image of a car with a lock through it. Has this happened to anyone? Any idea what the solution is?

Attachments

• 20231010_134152.jpg
    20231010_134152.jpg
    716.2 KB · Views: 127
  • 20231010_133249.jpg
    20231010_133249.jpg
    462.7 KB · Views: 53
We have a 2016 500x with the 2.4 litre motor. It will not start. All the dash lights light up as normal . There appears two messages: service keyless entry system and a yellow image of a car with a lock through it. Has this happened to anyone? Any idea what the solution is?

Hi 🙂

Sounds like the car is Immobilised after Not recognising the Key or Fob 🤔

If you have 2 x keys.. Try both 😉

This is a model I am unfamiliar with.. But that sounds the likely scenario

Do tell us more 🙂

As it is 'keyless entry', it relies on the key transmitting its codes to the car. The battery in the key needs replacing.
We have had immobilisers in Europe sice 1998. There is a chip in the key, read by the car when the ignition is turned on. (Like the chip placed in a dog or cat). With keys inserted into an ignition lock, the chip is only energised by the electronic field around it, created by an aerial around the ignition lock barrel. With keyless, it needs to rely on the key transmitting its code, which it does all the time. For that reason, we are advised to place the key in a metal box, or 'faraday bag' once inside the house, as thieves can read the code from outside, and steal the car. Manufacturers have yet to add an on/off switch to the keys.
Most cars with this system will have a place inside the car which will read the key in the same way as normal key entry systems. This is usually somewhere on the centre console. The handbook will advise. Sometimes below a rubber mat will be a key symbol. Place the key there, it shoudl then recognise it.

Thanks for the response. Today the car battery is completely dead, no lights whatsoever.

That was a potential cause... 🤔

All of the cars sensors are reliant on a stable electrical supply.. So a dying battery is obviously not going to help

Moving on.. If the battery is 8 years in service.. There is a fair chance it's just died "of old age",

however the forum has now amassed Many cases of the Blue and Me entertainment device failing...
Main symptom is a flashing mileage.. Then flat batteries 😕I
(it must be said the 500x isn't well supported on this forum... But I suspect the on board kit will be closely related)

Has the car been in regular use?

If it has been cranking to motor successfully most days then this sounds pretty sudden.. 🤔

The battery was replaced January 18 2021 . It has always cranked started without issue since the new battery. At that time 38,000 km now it has 63,555km. The car is driven four times a week. I don't understand what you mean by board kit?

I don't understand what you mean by board kit?
On board fitted equipment

The technology that powers
'modern systems' ,

SEARCH Blue and Me failure for a hint of what people experience

However flashing mileage/odometer is associated with failure on the European 500.. You may not have that

As it is 'keyless entry', it relies on the key transmitting its codes to the car. The battery in the key needs replacing.
We have had immobilisers in Europe sice 1998. There is a chip in the key, read by the car when the ignition is turned on. (Like the chip placed in a dog or cat). With keys inserted into an ignition lock, the chip is only energised by the electronic field around it, created by an aerial around the ignition lock barrel. With keyless, it needs to rely on the key transmitting its code, which it does all the time. For that reason, we are advised to place the key in a metal box, or 'faraday bag' once inside the house, as thieves can read the code from outside, and steal the car. Manufacturers have yet to add an on/off switch to the keys.
Most cars with this system will have a place inside the car which will read the key in the same way as normal key entry systems. This is usually somewhere on the centre console. The handbook will advise. Sometimes below a rubber mat will be a key symbol. Place the key there, it shoudl then recognise it.
On my 500X 2015 you can switch off the KeyLess Entry on the uConnect menu. This has two effects:

1) The door handle sensor and the button no longer work and you have to use the keyfob buttons
2) Automatic deadlocks and turned off and the system revers to the standard double press of the keyfox lock button

On the 500X I think the Fobik key only transmits it's code when:

1) Is in range of the car *AND*
2) When the car actively command it to. This happends when the front door handles detect hand presence

If it were to transmit all the time the key battery would never last any length of time.

Back