General Will my tyres pass mot?

Currently reading:
General Will my tyres pass mot?

johnson1994

Hello everyone,
Hope you could shine some light on this, recently passed my test and now wanting to get my stilo on the road however I'm unsure if my tyres will pass mot.
All 4 have 5mm+ tread still but it's the cracking in the treads that make me wonder if they would pass? I will post images of my tyres in the morning if it helps any.
Hope someone can provide me with some help with this, I intend to get my tyres done in the new year, I'm just bit strapped for cash and would rather buy new than pw.

Hi Johnson

the MOT tester will be looking to see whether or not they think your car is safe to be on the road.

Obviously as rubber perishes it cracks up and the rubber goes hard and crumbly.

I doubt it will cause you an MOT issue unless it's a particularly bad case but from a user driving point of view, in these wet winter road conditions an aged and deteriorating tyre will significantly compromise your grip levels - so the recommendation from me has to be to get them changed.

You may well get an advisory on MOT about it. If the deterioration has led to any canvas showing through the rubber or bulging in the tread expect to fail.

They're really keen on checking the side walls of the tyre, as this is where a lot of the loading and structural rigidity is, if there is visible signs of fatigue or damage in the tyre walls - fail.

Keep in mind that you can submit your car for MOT and you should be eligible for a free re-test within a certain time frame. So you can put it in for MOT, if it fails repair and then free re-test it without issue.

The MOT rules seem to have missed cracking tread. My father ran an old Herald with very old tyres, seriously cracked in the tread grooves, but passed several MOTs in this state.

The MOT is a test of safety and legality. We all seem to fear it, yet any failure shuld be seen as a benefit, as it has highlighted something that might have got you into trouble, or killed you.

If the tyres are old enough to crack, they are not as flexible as intended, so will not grip as well as they should. This could put you in a ditch. For your own safety, new ones are required. Early Christmas presents?

Thank you both for your thoughts, I've just given my tyres another good inspection this morning. The cracking doesn't appear to be deep enough that you see the canvassing, though 2 tyres does have slight cracking on the wall.
I'm adding 2 photos, my car will be seeing very minor use this month as yet to get to used to the Stilo, I did my test and lessons in a 16 plate Ford Fiesta. As I mentioned before I do intend in getting the new tyres regardless if they would pass or fail I'm just waiting to have enough in the bank for them.
(I believe I've attached the photos correctly)
Kind regards

Attachments

• IMG_0528.JPG
    IMG_0528.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 42
  • IMG_0529.JPG
    IMG_0529.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 49
It's only that one that's bad, all the others barely show any signs of cracking. I'm going to get in touch with a local mobile tyre dealer see about getting a part worn put on to see me to the next year where all 4 are going to be replaced with new.
Had someone look at it and they reckon it's either been ran flat or been hugging the curb to much.
But thanks again for the help, I would rather know it's unsafe than drive around and find out the hard way. Aha

It's only that one that's bad, all the others barely show any signs of cracking. I'm going to get in touch with a local mobile tyre dealer see about getting a part worn put on to see me to the next year where all 4 are going to be replaced with new.
Had someone look at it and they reckon it's either been ran flat or been hugging the curb to much.
But thanks again for the help, I would rather know it's unsafe than drive around and find out the hard way. Aha

Blimey Johnson!

The level of cracking in the side wall of that tyre I'd be nervous about inflating it if the tyre pressure was low.

For your own safety I would certainly recommend changing that tyre.

You can change just one tyre if it's just the one affected, I would certainly have the pictured tyre(s) replaced.

You can get part worn tyres, sure. They can be a bit of a contentious topic on whether you should or shouldn't use part worns. If thats the way you choose to go then fair enough, I'll not comment one way or the other.

I will say this, as general rules of thumb for changing tyres...

change in axle pairs is best practice
don't run different sizes - use manufacturers recommended tyre size only
run the best tyres you have on the rear - understeer is considered safer than oversteer

Thank you for your reply. The part worn is just going to be a temporary solution for now just to ensure it's safe to drive for now. I'll not be driving much until next year anyway it's just with my family's circumstances it's handy to have the car ready to go whenever we need it it. However, full new set will be going on next year when the expense of Christmas is over aha.
The bad tyre is actually inflated to 30 at the moment but with the look and the advice on it, I wouldn't risk driving it 5 minutes down road never mind anywhere else.

Back