General Why a Panda?

Currently reading:
General Why a Panda?

PandaManPaul said:
I miss the bouncing around and ability to exploit gaps in traffic that seemingly don't exist!

(As)Bo the selecta is really good at this as you don't have to worry about wrestling with the gearbox and the 1108 makes it quite nippy (till about 30 :D ).

It's point and shoot!

Jim

Steve C said:
I love this about the Panda as well. There is nothing better than cutting up a BMW or Mercedes in my car that probably cost less than one tyre on their car. :)

Ah, you've seen me charging down the Lisburn rd shouting out the window "Out of the way, you've still got another 39 payments on your Cayenne!"

(well Porsche 4x4's Kill baby seals, or so it said on TopGear)

Jim

Hahaha. That's a hilarious image. :D I did succeed in messing up a lane change on the motorway once last week, had to squeeze by the side of a golf but I think the Panda was too cute to blast your horn at. Winner.

e505jpy said:
Are you still going that? Any time soon?

Jim

Yes i am still going to turin. i am thinking of going on the monaco F1 trip (in LL), and after the monaco grand prix, i will travel to turin (with any other FF member who want to tag along), and then drive over the alps, and stop off at geneva, before driving back home.

christopher watson said:
Yes i am still going to turin. i am thinking of going on the monaco F1 trip (in LL), and after the monaco grand prix, i will travel to turin (with any other FF member who want to tag along), and then drive over the alps, and stop off at geneva, before driving back home.

For those of us that arn't huge F1 fans... Erm, when's that?

:eek:

Jim
(ok, I could look that up, but it's more fun askin)

christopher watson said:
i will come with you, as i would love driving my panda through NY. sort out how much please :)

Well as far as we've got is checking with the american consulate and they say that tourists can bring there cars into the US for a max of 12 mths with out having to comply with Fed regs on emmisions or safety. The car has to be removed from US soil at the end or it is impounded and (well, it gets nasty then! :yuck: )

The options then are container (which would be good if your shipping 2 pandas cause they'd fit in on container) or Roll-on-roll-off ferry things that bring Voyagers and the such like in. Very cheep on the way out (cause they are fairly empty) but theres more risk of thief and damage as it could be the only car on the ship at some point and the Twainese crew might get nosey!

Have a look at autoshippers here for more info.

Something I really wanted to do when I'm there is attend FLU (Fiat and Lanica Unlimited) Fiat Freak out (it's america, they couldn't just use 'Annual Meeting' More stuff on there web site including loads of photos from last years get together. Its here

One of the best things about attending would be that we'd HAVE to win a prize for something after coming all that way!

Jim

Hi Jim ... even if you can't make it over there, I've got a spare FLU widow sticker that I can let you have (please PM your address) for nothing. If you do make it over, take loads of photo's !!!!!!!!!! :D

As for Pandas ......... aaaaaahhh ......

My current wife and I met when we were both going bankrupt with different businesses. She had a new Volvo 740 estate and I had a Land-Rover 2.25 petrol LWB Safari and a Meastro special. We got rid, except for the Meastro, as it was the cheapest to run. With a budjet of just £1250 we went looking for the newest, lowest insurance, cheap to run and maintain car that would carry three dogs and us.
We found an almost immaculate Seat Marbella 'Black' and fell in love with it. It ran and ran and ran (and still is doing apparently). Over time I fitted a 999 fire to it, plus a K&N filter system, wide alloys, etc. and managed to get it tuned to the point where the brakes required two weeks advance notice before condiscending to stop the beast !
We needed some stopping power as well, as Sandra wanted to feel safe!
So, whilst I kept charging around in a Marbella that could touch a ton .. and stop in a fortnight, she very sensibly bought our first 4x4 'dog-car'.
I don't really know how many Pandas and Marbellas we have had since then, but it's quite a lot !
We are now both happily settled with our cars. Sandra has her Panda Panda 'Dog-car' which is now a two-seater and lined-out in a Marbella waterproof interior so that we can hose it out and I have my Sisely. We also have the Sisely donor-car, two spare engines, a gearbox and a shed full of spares.
We're getting on a bit now and really don't want anything to do with any other car. These should see us out !!! (y)

Sorry if this is a bit long winded; but you did ask !!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

pandafan said:
Hi Jim ... even if you can't make it over there, I've got a spare FLU widow sticker that I can let you have (please PM your address) for nothing. If you do make it over, take loads of photo's !!!!!!!!!! :D

I've just joined Flu at $48 bucks for international memebership.....

Should be interesting!

Alan has just worked out what I'm doing and is very interested to hear that he's spending his 40th with a load of pandas and american fiat nuts.... I'm never going to live this down!

Jim

Last edited:
I've only ever spent my (spare) :) time in Eire ... is there something in the air up there that I should know about ?

Back