Votes: 70 50.0%
  • Men

Votes: 8 5.7%
  • Women

Votes: 19 13.6%
  • Elderly

Votes: 43 30.7%

• Total voters
I would have thought its a mixture of young drivers (as they are made to pay the most) and fraudulant claims.

crash.. oh whiplash....

if people are taking out £4000+ and paying in under £500 then someone else will have to foot the bill.

My only crashes have been caused by older drivers. One man. One woman.

In my experience it would have to be the elderly.

Only the young will turn around and drive 2mm behind my bumper, only the young will speed up to overtake even when I'm speeding. The elderly would much rather park themselves half a mile behind.

I wouldn't mind but in general it is young arrogance that causes accidents, and im only 19 before anyone says anything. Maybe it would be better for everyone if they stopped named drivers, people have more respect when they're on their own insurance and a crash effects them a LOT more financially. :rolleyes:

I had to put elderly, ( would have put women to ), every near miss or what the f*** episode I have had in the short time I have driven has been caused by either of the above, the older ones driving as if they are the only ones on the road, and women driving very aggressively or or chin wagging.

Steve

Funny you should say that steve, most of my near miss's have been with elderly drivers. I'm thinking they may well cause a whole load of accidents, making people avoid them etc. but potter off into the distance oblivious to the carnage they have caused.

i think your generalising the young too much there, difference between us lot on here and the chavs...

i has someone inches from my bumper yesterday (in a nice bravo aswell!) when i had to emergency stop, luckily he didnt hit me.

Who has the most accidents? Probably immature, aggressive & ultra-competative drivers, typically they're younger drivers however more 'mature' drivers (45~60) can suffer from this too. They probably don't post the most near misses, however when they misjudge things cause they leave the least safety margin they leave the least room for people to compensate for them.

Ask me who causes the most near missing, the elderly & the 'school run only' women drivers. The latter are only drivin' to get around, hate it & just want to get from A to B, they make mistakes but leave enough room for people to compensate (though some might get pissed at being inconvenienced by them). The elderly don't have the reaction times for modern close proximity driving & may make some silly decisions, but again tend to leave the room for people to compensate for their mistakes.

People who don't look where they are going are responsible for high insurance and the fact that insurance co's can charge what they want because its a legal requirement to drive... if it was of choice you would soon see insurance companies charge a lot less, its like when you buy a mobile phone you don't need insurance but if someone offered you cover against theft, damage and calls made without your permission for just £6.99 a month what have you really got to lose?

If cars could be insured for sensible prices similar to this then everyone would have insurance.

I'd be satisfied to pay £500 a year for motor insurance and wouldn't complain but no most young drivers have to pay in excess of £1200 per year just to drive and then get crashed into by some old git who pays nothing or some w4nker who is going to lie about what really happened :mad:

I've been hit properly by 3 cars of the 3, 2 of them where under 1.0 litres, one of them was an 850cc Matiz. Just because a person drives a car that can't make 80mph doesn't mean the that person wont hit nothing and cause ecessive damamge to property or kill someone. The logic behind large engines and greater insurance is stupid unless the logic is the faster the accelleration the longer one is expected to be at higher speeds in which case people who live on hills should also have to pay greater insurance :mad: :bang: :mad:

Gotta agree - we all only go 70mph so why persecute higher powered cars? If anything they're safer - If someone pulls out on me I've got bigger brakes than most cars and can stop in a shorter distance. If I accidentally pulled out on someone I've got the power to get out of there and away without causing an accident.

ha ha - this is tricky
Young People thinking they are the big I AM as they have been able to pass their driving test and then when it comes down to it they havent got a clue how to control a car - have an accident for whatever reason - thinking its cool to drink drive or purely showing off infront of friends!!

Then you have the Middle aged men that are going through a mid-life crisis and think they have done well in life driving a Celica or whatever so they can treat people on the road like rubbish - and they can not stand it when they are proven that there are people that have done better, so they then try to get one over on that perso , by i dont know - over taking in a dangerous place!! - which go wrong and then are reported for dangerous driving.

Then the elderly - that go so slowly they are a hazard themself.

I am able to get hold of the figues of accidents that have happened and the age of the drivers, i think insurance companies would be surprised with the results but unfortunatley they think its fair to rip off young drivers as its the easiest way to earn money and most young people want to learn how to drive! Dont they?

Yes no doubt you think i am talking rubbish but thats partly my view .

The people that are reckless drivers and the people that dont bother to insure their cars are the ones responsible for high insurance.

All of the above options in the poll are too generalised imo.

If an insurance company was to vote on this poll however they would certainly say young drivers are to blame hense why our premiums are through the roof.

I mean for gods sake, I pay £1500 fully comp to insure my 1.2 Punto :cry: thats at the tender age of 19 with a clean licence and a clean insurance record.

people of all ages have accidents, but mainly young drivers who have just passed their test and think they are invincible, out of 5 of my mates who have passed their test within the last year 4 of them have written their cars off within a week of getting them, the other person who hasn't crashed hasn't got a car yet lol.

young drivers drive too fast and carelessly

middle aged drivers think that everyone on the road should bow down to them

older drivers drive too slow and are a hazard on national speed limit roads and also their sense of distance etc isn't what it used to be.

No0ne is really thinking this one through. People with the cheapest insurance are putting the insurance prices up. If i have an accident costing £1000, my insurance company have still made £200 from me. If someone who only pays £200 causes £1000 then the insurance company is down £800.

Yes there is higher risk areas (young, elderly, performance etc) but it all depends on how much they are paying in comparison to their claims.

Women are deemed to be better at driving, not because they dont have as many accident as men but because they cost less. Women are more likely to hit someone in a car park than smash into someone head on!!

I think personally, the people that are putting up insurance the most are the people that make personal injury claims. Even with 2 new bumpers and radiators for a head on at low speed, its only gonna cost like £1-2k to fix. If someone makes an expensive P.I claim, £1-2k per person, then you've doubled or tripled the claim cost. Thats where the price increase is comming from.

As for IPT (insurance premuim tax) thats not putting the premium up much.... Its only about 6% of the price. £300 insurance premium its £18. IIRC that is!!!

Ross

The other biggie putting the cost up is people without insurance at all. I recently had a head on crash with an uninsured, driving licence less, Nigerian student. He was on the wrong side of the road, police are taking him to court and say it's 100% his fault.

I've lost my no claims because my insurance paid me out. The legal aid assistance which comes with my policy try to get it back from the Motor insurers Bureau. Lots of administration, lots of cost all ultimately paid jointly by people who do insure their cars. And that isn't even counting the cost of the police, the ambulance, the recovery of his car which would no longer drive after being clobbered by my Volvo.

Pete

Fivehundred said:
The other biggie putting the cost up is people without insurance at all. I recently had a head on crash with an uninsured, driving licence less, Nigerian student. He was on the wrong side of the road, police are taking him to court and say it's 100% his fault.

I've lost my no claims because my insurance paid me out. The legal aid assistance which comes with my policy try to get it back from the Motor insurers Bureau. Lots of administration, lots of cost all ultimately paid jointly by people who do insure their cars. And that isn't even counting the cost of the police, the ambulance, the recovery of his car which would no longer drive after being clobbered by my Volvo.

Pete

Your right. There is a small amount added to everyones insurance to add into a fund for un-insured drivers.

Ross

I can remember reading in some newspaper or other that '3 out of 5 young drivers questioned admit to having drived while under the influence of drink or drugs' or something similar to that. I've seen it a few times.

Back