General White wall tyres

Currently reading:
General White wall tyres

LittleLuigi

I've searched through the forum and the Internet but I can't seem to find anywhere that sells 185/55 r15 whitewall tyres for my Luigi.

Does anyone have a contact name / number / website address ?

Oh no, I feel a paintbrush coming on :cry:

Surely somebody must do them, I've seen some nice pics of them on the 500.

when they say buff the sides of tyre to make a smooth service, does that mean they remover all the writing, if so is that road legal?

I don't think a tyre legally has to have the ratings/conformity letters on it for you to use it.. just for sale, to prove that it meets those standards.

In any case the tyre has all that stuff written on both sides..

And a lot of it applies to markets that aren't relevant in the UK anyway (US and Japan spec' stuff for example).

Frankly, I'd wish they just put all that stuff in a tiny patch 2cm square on the tread... (where it will wear off) :D ... just leaving the manufacturer's name, the tyre type and its size on the tyre wall. It's a whole encyclopedia on the side-wall these days.. :(

Ralf S.

It'd be great to see a 500 with the whitewall's (they look like stick on rubber rings) and the moon discs. It could look really cool on a basic Pop spec car.......

I can't seem to find the links anywhere for either product. Presumably if they fit a New Panda with 14" steelies, they'd fit a 500?

I got mine from Evilbay, just type in "white wall tyre trims".

There's two methods of fitment, either pushing the tyre away from the beading and sealing the white wall between the rim and the tyre (I'd recommend this), or you can cut some of the trim off, deflate the tyre and press it between the tyre and the rim. I did this and they keep slipping off.:mad:

Also, scrap your standard wheel weights on the steel wheels or they'll press against your white wall trim and make it stick out a bit (they have on mine). Alloy wheel weights which go on the inside of the rim would be perfect

Finally, you'll need some red rubber grease to put between the tyre and the trim or they'll wear the side of the tyre away! They're actually banned in some countries because of this...

As for the moon discs, also off Evilbay. Try a search for "full moon hubcaps", although there are several slightly different styles. They're a pain in the arse to be honest. They squeak like crazy constantly and every internet tip to stop this doesn't actually work. My solution was to put black gutter sealant behind the discs and this did the job, although it made them a nightmare to take off and they nearly bent!

It might also be worth mentioning that Fiat do a specific retro chrome hubcap for the 500 which will look great on yours. I couldn't get them for mine as they have the 500 emblem on so would look daft on a Panda. I'd go for these over any moon discs given all the hassle.

Also, if you don't fancy all the bother with the white wall trims (I'm getting rid!), check out www.mrwhitewalls.com - If only hindsight came before you tried things ;)

That said, they do look amazing and have got lots of comments. (y)

Back