Technical Whirring sound and struggling to start

Currently reading:
Technical Whirring sound and struggling to start

rosswright

Hi All,

Stilo 2.4 Abarth (Petrol)

This has happened briefly one before, but it was more obvious today with the check engine light coming on.

I went out for dinner, got back in the car after 5 mins and I got a loud whirring sound but the engine wasn’t cranking. It came on after a while, along with the beeps from the check engine and subsequent light.

Is it likely the solenoid? Would this put the check engine light on? Currently lent out my checker, so unable to check myself!

Thanks,
Ross

Hi All,

Stilo 2.4 Abarth (Petrol)

This has happened briefly one before, but it was more obvious today with the check engine light coming on.

I went out for dinner, got back in the car after 5 mins and I got a loud whirring sound but the engine wasn’t cranking. It came on after a while, along with the beeps from the check engine and subsequent light.

Is it likely the solenoid? Would this put the check engine light on? Currently lent out my checker, so unable to check myself!

Thanks,
Ross

Hi Ross.

A few pointers :

Sounds like the starter motor.. :(

It has a gear that spins quickly..then moves forward ..to engage with the engines flywheel.

So.. the whirring sounds like the gear is indeed spinning.. but not ENGAGING.. to drive the engine over..

Check basic electrics before removing starter..

The MIL warning probably points to a failing battery.. but loose cables(poor earth connections) can result in similar..

Sensors see a low voltage.. then flag up errors..

Checking battery voltage.. both at rest..and with engine idling.

Charlie

Last edited:
Yes.. check battery voltage... it could be the starter needs more amps than it's getting, although that more usually sounds like a "slump", rather than a spin.

I'm guessing if you crank it a bit more, it will suddenly switch to "slump" though, which would prove it's a duff battery.

Ralf S.

Yes.. check battery voltage... it could be the starter needs more amps than it's getting, although that more usually sounds like a "slump", rather than a spin.

I'm guessing if you crank it a bit more, it will suddenly switch to "slump" though, which would prove it's a duff battery.

Ralf S.

Weirdly just this morning it was cranking but took about ten seconds. Then engine management came on. So now leaning towards battery.

Back