Technical Whining Side That Rises With Throttle

Currently reading:
Technical Whining Side That Rises With Throttle

djedwardsmith

Noticed this noise yesterday, it's been worse today driving back from work. Happens when stationary or driving, it's a high pitched whine and gets faster/higher the more the throttle is pressed.

I'm assuming/fearing it's a sign that the cambelt is giving up the ghost but I figured I'd see what your suggestions are and what can I check myself before I can get it into a garage on Friday.

Sounds like a belt on the cover rubbing

You'd need to ask why has the belt moved? Failed tensioner or its stretching or starting to possibly slide off the ""cogs"" cause of worn teeth - who knows

Whipping the auxillary belt off with tell you if it was a belt driven noise or the alternator

If the noise remains -its gonna be cambelt related

Ziggy

Cheers guys. Gonna give it a look just now but I'm leaning towards timing belt rubbing.

Drove it to work and back, sounds isn't constant but does get higher pitched when I accelerate. Due a new timing belt anyway, can I be cheeky enough to ask for a rough idea on how much it'd cost?

If it is belt rubbing something in there may not be pointing straight like a wobbly tensioner or water pump. You'll only know after opening up. One way or the other I would replace the tensioner. They generally come with a belt as part of a kit. I use Gates. Lots of people replace water pumps as a matter of course. I'm on my third timing belt and original pump at 121k miles.

Just got it back from the garage. Timing belt tensioner was the issue so new belt kit and water pump, oil pressure sensor and also a coolant flush and change for £175 including VAT (as I know others will stumble across this post when googling similar questions as I)

Back