General Which winter tyres are people going for

Currently reading:
General Which winter tyres are people going for

No worries people! I wouldn't go with any 'never-heard-of-before' tyre just because someone recommended it, but also- if someone recommends something and it sounds plausible I'd research it before coming to any conclusion... Thanks for all your input. Btw, at the moment I'm leaning either towards original Pirelli ZN or Nokian Z G2 (just because they are underdog and I'm sucker for underdogs - I'm driving a Fiat for goodness sake! ;):D

I can totally relate to wanting to be the underdog. Always enjoyed having something different to the rest and not having to pay for the guarantee of performance.

Did a little more checking on the Toyo T1Rs and the prices have climbed given the demand/supply situation. So you may not be getting value for money - but they don't appear to be giving the mileage.
On the recommendation on the smaller 205/45 they have been reported as giving better acceleration with being lighter etc. But sticking with the OEM size and Y rating these seemed really good value for money (Click here).
I have Hankook on the front of my 155TB in 16s and I have complained about them but it may be more to do with the profile and after having the Contis it's an unfair comparison given the price differental.
The V12 EVO have had pretty good reviews and are now OEM on Porsches, etc. high end performance cars. They are technically a Mid range tyre and would be an underdog.
At £67 you're getting 4 tyres for the price of 2 Contis. It's a no brainer.:)

EDIT:
Why they're 'cheap' ..and tests don't always give the full picture...
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/products/total_tyre_guide/259483/hankook_ventus_s1_evo.html

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=149
http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/hankook-ventus-v12-evo-page-10

Last edited:
My winter tyres came off last week and I've just noticed the fitter decided the front wing would be a great place to put his jack...
DSCF0149.jpg

It's annoying as I've use them for years without any problem.

(No Fiat 500s were harmed during the making of this post)

Drove through a couple of inches of snow today.

Happy to say in dry weather the snow tyres only give me 95% of summer tyre performance, but in snow they give about 1000%. Overtook a massive cue of cars slithering along in the mostly clear inside lane, by driving along the almost totally un-used snow covered outside.

Grin factor? :D

Where do you people live? It was jeans and a tshirt weather here today.

Drove through a couple of inches of snow today.

Happy to say in dry weather the snow tyres only give me 95% of summer tyre performance, but in snow they give about 1000%. Overtook a massive cue of cars slithering along in the mostly clear inside lane, by driving along the almost totally un-used snow covered outside.

Grin factor? :D

Hehe that's ALWAYS fun :D Went for a drive over the moors with my summer rubber. The tiniest bit of snow laying on the road together with any remotely enthusiastic braking got the ABS going like crazy. Only a tiny bit of snow so it was very much passable, but it just wasn't as safe.....

I've been researching tyres somewhat, but I can't profess I'm in the same league as the previous posters. I'm looking at Goodyear eagle f1 asymmetric 2 as it got very good reviews in several review sites and some car magazines. Any good? Can't warm to Michelins somehow...

No worries people! I wouldn't go with any 'never-heard-of-before' tyre just because someone recommended it, but also- if someone recommends something and it sounds plausible I'd research it before coming to any conclusion... Thanks for all your input. Btw, at the moment I'm leaning either towards original Pirelli ZN or Nokian Z G2 (just because they are underdog and I'm sucker for underdogs - I'm driving a Fiat for goodness sake! ;):D

Stuart, I did a bit more reading and Nokian Z G2 look good for potholed and mostly wet UK roads. A bit pricey though, and hard to find... I'm thinking to use them on my GPA

I was on another test drive yesterday :eek: - this time in an ex-FIAT MiTo Cloverleaf with 170bhp and an adaptive suspension on a car shod with Michelin Pilots on 215/45R17s and I couldn't fault them. Grippied really well and gave excellent feedback.

'On foot' of a new test 2012 review (Click here) probably the same one that you came across it would appear that the Goodyears have addressed the issue of rolling resistance and it's now got the no. 1 spot.

The Nokian Z G2 are in the no. 2 spot & given the cost of a set of winter 17s on a AGP you would 'hope' given the winter pedigree of Nokian that they wouldn't be useless in the white stuff. If you still really wanted the Nokian you could probably track down the only Nokian dealer in the UK who is based in Scotland.

The Conti 5s that I recommended got shot down on the basis of cost & noise.

So Melanabb. :worship::worship:

Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2215/45 R17 91Y XL FP, R1 £108

Ouch! Hope it sorts itself out soon. Ibuprofen will reduce the redness & swelling as well as the pain, but you have to take it regularly for a week to get the full anti-inflammatory effect.

done and done. Scary thing was about 2 or 3 minutes after that I lost consciousness for a little less than a minute :S Vision went very bright and then I just keeled over!

I may have found my winter wheels for next year. I just have to find out what wheels they are and where to get the hub caps...I love red wheels and whitewalls...

5606035445_df5742c784.jpg

They even look cool on my Harley
4504897999_4f7126858a.jpg

Back