General Which winter tyres are people going for

Currently reading:
General Which winter tyres are people going for

Hmmm...I'm in two minds like Maxi as to whether to go back to my normal tyres.

Apparently the temperatures might get up to around 16deg on Thursday :eek:(although won't be using the car that day anyway).

I still think there will be one last blast of winter to come, but now the days are getting longer I suppose you have more chance of getting away without winter rubber.

My summer tyres are back on, I did it in a total of 30 mins.
The car feels like a formula 1 car now, I have so much more grip.

We were at The Belfry fri/sat. Sat morning started spitting at start of the round and on 5th hole intense rain with hailstorm and no trees to hide under. Totally wet & frozen had to retreat to the car. I think we still need the WTs for a good few weeks :confused:

I don't normally 'hate', but I hate the 50mph speed limit on the M1 going south, wtf as no one was working on the lanes !!

would you change them back if another cold spell ?

I may do if it gets really cold again I don't drive my car until lunchtime most days so it is usually a bit warmer then.

I have to be honest and say that it looks like winter might be over for this year........

is the avg temp above 7-8 degs in Wales now (well your neck of the woods) ?

I may do if it gets really cold again I don't drive my car until lunchtime most days so it is usually a bit warmer then.

Rui that makes sense. I will hang on till its > 10 degs on average, no harm done I am sure ??

I've been umming and arring about changing back, getting warm here but the deciding factor has been road salt. There is still ample on the road, so I won't be putting my alloys back on until its all been washed away. So won't be before until the weekend afternext as I'm off tomorrow then away this coming weekend.

I have to be honest and say that it looks like winter might be over for this year........

Definitely not winter here today :). Took the 500 for a little run after filling it up, so cheating a bit 'cos I started with a warm engine, however...

Attachments

• Not Winter 1.jpg
    Not Winter 1.jpg
    220.1 KB · Views: 13
  • Not Winter 2.jpg
    Not Winter 2.jpg
    228.6 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
is the avg temp above 7-8 degs in Wales now (well your neck of the woods) ?

Rui that makes sense. I will hang on till its > 10 degs on average, no harm done I am sure ??

Noticed a guy last day at the lights eyeing up the wheels on my motor. I then noticed on his Vectra that he was running a new looking set of Snowtrac 3s but only on the front. It was 13 degree celcius. I thought he was mad.

At a newspaper stand yesterday and 'stole' a quick read from this month's Topgear of a long term review on a 1M. The reviewer forked out £1,900 for a set of winters and then has to pay £50 to store the tyres in a Winter tyre hotel when the summers go back on. I didn't really have much sympathy for him since he was driving a beamer after all but then remembered that a few A500 drivers are trading in their cars for that particular model. When I checked out a recent JC review I then realised that the 'hopscotch' mix of parts from different models can make a car one of the best compared with the competition and possibly creating a new icon. Judging by the review it would appear that the costly winter tyres are nothing compared to the money wasted when the M button is turned on going sideways on a private track.
[ame="http://www.metacafe.com/watch/6653530/top_gear_bmw_m1/"]Top Gear BMW M1 - Video[/ame]

Attachments

• 1M winter.JPG
    1M winter.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 18
was definitely still winter in High Wycombe today, torrential rain turned to sleet and 2 deg C

was glad to still have the winters on

I've put my summers back on. They're at the point at which I could get another winter or two out of them, but if I leave them on much longer then they're not going to be any good if there's any snow next winter. Went for a blat over the moors. There was a tiny bit of snow in the fields but the roads were more or less bone dry. Was a fun drive though, totally different to the one I had a couple of weeks ago. Winter tyres were so much more progressive and you could hit bumps mid corner and not be chucked about. That said, due to them being wider and it being bone dry, the summers were faster :)

It'll probably get really cold and start snowing now......

I put our summer wheels back on our Caravelle about a month ago. I had a 400 mile trip and the temps were up to 13 and more.
The next week the temp dropped again and the snow came. Winters back on.
They were removed again last week.

No doubt a load of snow will soon be heading our way.

I bought a socket adapter for my cordless drill which spins the nuts on and off in seconds :D

The tyres we have btw are Nokian WR A3

Last edited:
I've put my summers back on. They're at the point at which I could get another winter or two out of them, but if I leave them on much longer then they're not going to be any good if there's any snow next winter. Went for a blat over the moors. There was a tiny bit of snow in the fields but the roads were more or less bone dry. Was a fun drive though, totally different to the one I had a couple of weeks ago. Winter tyres were so much more progressive and you could hit bumps mid corner and not be chucked about. That said, due to them being wider and it being bone dry, the summers were faster :)

It'll probably get really cold and start snowing now......

my 'summers' are exactly that - trackday capable road tyres and definitely need to be warm to offer their best grip

so i'll be keeping the Marangonis on for a few weeks i reckon until we are definitely into double figures

my 'summers' are exactly that - trackday capable road tyres and definitely need to be warm to offer their best grip

so i'll be keeping the Marangonis on for a few weeks i reckon until we are definitely into double figures

I'm only working 5 miles from home these days so the decision was quite easy for me. If I was still working at the same place I was this time last year which involved driving 20 miles home each night usually in the dark and dealing with cow turd and mud on the road then I'd still be on the winters. No such problems now so the summers are on :) Glad I put them on because the winters would have been absolutely trashed after my drive yesterday :D

took the winters off this morning and really impressed by how little they have worn, still 7mm across all 4 in 4 months and 8,000 miles so snowtracs have served me well and been faultless (apart from when you feel the sidewalls flex under cornering)

glad to get the 16s back on as the multispokes really set the car off, car is a bit sharper on turn in and grip, however, you forget the impact they have on ride quality

i won't be troubling red bull in the time taken to swap four wheel and it will now snow ;)

Back