500 which model to buy?

Currently reading:
500 which model to buy?

Overall I don't think the 500 is really a long distance everyday car anyway, something larger is better on the motorway.

I went to lanzarote earlier in the year and hired one of these for a week, good to drive and felt more composed and quiter than the 500 on motorways. Would be cheaper than either option from the OP too.

http://www.motorpoint.co.uk/VehicleAdvert/Fiat/Punto Evo/360236

Then on the flipside there's 61 Megane's/ Focus/ Octavia's diesels available at less than £11k.

For what it's worth I agree with this. personally if I were doing insane mileages then a 500 wouldn't be my choice. I've had a Punto Evo courtesy car and have to say I really liked it, objectively it was a better car than the 500 in all but looks.

I disagree, thats what people in put from their trips. Fuelly is a far better reference point imo, where you can view the data yourself. :)

I would agree :) Fuelly figures are far more representative and are from a variety of 500 owners

Fuelly is great, but there are users who have not input their motor type correctly, as in driving a twin air, but listing it as as 4 cyl motor.

It distorts the figures

Fuelly is great, but there are users who have not input their motor type correctly, as in driving a twin air, but listing it as as 4 cyl motor.

It distorts the figures

True, however you can see all their fillups to see if they're accurately recording info rather than just making figures up :)

Just to muddy the waters further you are assuming the amount of petrol you are putting in is accurate. It has been shown that petrol pumps can be up to 8% out of calibration in favour of the driver I.e. 1.08 gallons for the cost of 1.

Just to muddy the waters further you are assuming the amount of petrol you are putting in is accurate. It has been shown that petrol pumps can be up to 8% out of calibration in favour of the driver I.e. 1.08 gallons for the cost of 1.

Not in the UK, that I can assure you from working in the trade ;)

Sorry but your wrong it was a recent report mentioned in auto car about three weeks ago.

Edit, sorry it is 4.4 % not 8% from an AA report

http://www.theaa.com/newsroom/news-2012/petrol-pump-accuracy.html

Quotation below from article

Following concern from members, the AA carried out preliminary tests at a handful of fuel stations to see if there were grounds for a more comprehensive survey. Not only did all the pumps dispense at least the right amount, but most gave even more

Edmund King, AA president

Last edited:
Sorry but your wrong it was a recent report mentioned in auto car about three weeks ago.

Edit, sorry it is 4.4 % not 8% from an AA report

http://www.theaa.com/newsroom/news-2012/petrol-pump-accuracy.html

Getting similar reports here but it's not always in favour of the customer.

There was one garage where I used to buy my petrol and I was always suspicious that they were diddling the pumps. They were eventually caught and fined. I was surprised that they the fine wasn't bigger.

...Conclusion: If you have a person driving 23k+ miles per year and their asking if petrol or diesel is best there is only one answer, for the 500 range and almost every other range of cars on the planet. I rest my case.

The 500 is different to other models.

If you look at the poll conducted on the breakdown on the models bought
https://www.fiatforum.com/500/282104-big-poll-every-500-owner-please-vote.html
8.5% on the FF were driving Multi-jets. I reckon that a good portion - possibly half have switched to petrol (guessing TAs).

AFAIK no diesels were sold from dealerships in Ireland and those that are here were imported from the UK. Reason - they wasn't enough demand for them.

Checking autotrader on the 500s for sale 7.6% are diesels and those that are less than 1 year old only 1.2% are diesels. So 'people' are voting with their wallets.

The TA is crisper, much lighter, much more fun to drive because it is light and nimble, and finally, cheaper to buy than the Diesel. Okay, it may not be as economical but by the time you have factored in the lower cost of petrol and the lower purchase price I'm pretty sure the case is made.

And that's without DPFs and dual mass clutches.

The 500 is different to other models.

If you look at the poll conducted on the breakdown on the models bought
https://www.fiatforum.com/500/282104-big-poll-every-500-owner-please-vote.html
8.5% on the FF were driving Multi-jets. I reckon that a good portion - possibly half have switched to petrol (guessing TAs).

AFAIK no diesels were sold from dealerships in Ireland and those that are here were imported from the UK. Reason - they wasn't enough demand for them.

Checking autotrader on the 500s for sale 7.6% are diesels and those that are less than 1 year old only 1.2% are diesels. So 'people' are voting with their wallets.

I think the fact of the matter is that diesels don't suit small hatchbacks as well as they do bigger cars. Run the same poll in the GP/Punto Evo/New Punto forums and there will be a higher proportion of diesel ownership, even moreso in the Bravo section I can imagine.

Obviously some people are very happy with their diesel 500's, but there are a lot of good reasons to go for petrol over diesel when we're talking 500's :)

Sorry for my late entry into this thread, but the 500 is my wife's so I don't look in this section too often (mine is a Stilo). She has the 1.3 diesel and I think it's a great little car and it does 63mpg according to the on-board computer. She does similar driving to you with about 75% on motorway, the rest through town traffic or short trips.

Performace is not bad and cruises very easily at 80mph, so what more would anyone want from such a small car? I wouldn't buy one for myself as I find it's just too small for me, but I can see why she loves it so much. If you like small cars then I recommend the 1.3 diesel.

Sorry for my late entry into this thread, but the 500 is my wife's so I don't look in this section too often (mine is a Stilo). She has the 1.3 diesel and I think it's a great little car and it does 63mpg according to the on-board computer. She does similar driving to you with about 75% on motorway, the rest through town traffic or short trips.

Performace is not bad and cruises very easily at 80mph, so what more would anyone want from such a small car? I wouldn't buy one for myself as I find it's just too small for me, but I can see why she loves it so much. If you like small cars then I recommend the 1.3 diesel.

At least you were honest enough to recommend a car that you wouldn't buy or possibly even drive yourself.:)

Back