Technical which inner cv boot for seicento 1.1s ?

Currently reading:
Technical which inner cv boot for seicento 1.1s ?

mozzajuzza

Hi. Im new to the forum and recently bought car, but have read all I can on here and the web and am still confused!
I have a 2001 seicento 1.1 Sporting, it has small split in inner cv boot, under passenger side and oil leaks out.
Some kits have a cone to help fitting and grease (heard doesnt need grease?) some come with bearing attached (Think as my boot split I prob just need the rubber boot.
others have diff diameters. most 19/79/58 or 21/79/65 where 19 is inner diameter 79 long and 58 dia at wide end!
Any help greatly appreciated,plus tips to fitting and essential toiols as i want to tackle the job this weekend!

Rare for an inner boot to go.

There are two kinds of boots. The 899 and non Sporting cars have a boot which incorporates the bearing, the Sportings don't.

But best bet is eurocarcare.net or Shop4Parts either of whom will be cheaper than FIAT and can supply by VIN number.

Never done one (didn't I say it was rare?) -- Seicento Technical Manual is free and fer nowt in the Downloads section, Haynes Cinq manual (lots of cheap ones on eBay & Amazon) is worth having, too.

Best bet is eurocarcare. I had to change mine after it burst when my driveshaft came out the cup and that's where i got it from.

I honestly think the easiest way to do it (as i did it more or less) would be...

jack the car up on the side you are working and support on axle stands.
put newspaper down on the ground and have a carrier bag handy, gloves on too, it's messy.
Detach the inner gaiter from the driveshaft cup.
Take the front wheel off,
undo the 2 lower shock bolts and with the front wheels straight, pull the top of the hub assembly towards you, this will pull the driveshaft out of the cup. place onto newspaper.

Now for the really messy bit.

Place the driveshaft onto an axle stand, makes the whole job easier not having it flap about.
Get a dry cloth and wipe the inside of the drivesafts tripod joint and you should see a circlip, remove that and very gently tap off the tripod joint. This will allow you to slide off the gaiter and slide the new one on unobstructed. don't put the steel ties on it yet! slide it well out the way.
Tap the tripod joint back onto the splines and refit or replace circlip
slide the tripod into the driveshaft cup and force it home by pushing the top of the hub assembly into place again, can put in the shock bolts and tighten up again now too.
load up the drive shaft cups with grease (kit comes with it) and slide the gaiter up the shaft and onto the cup securely.
secure with the metal ties at both ends, trim the excess off them
wheel on, car down, nuts torqued up

Jobs a good un.

Sounds a lot of work doing it that way, but it's by far the easiest way IMO.

Hi. Thanks for swift and detailed response. Still confused what cv gaiter to get if I avoid the fiat dealers with bearing included for £33.

Ive attached some photos of my gaiter (complete with temp oil stopper!) can anyone direct me to right part as i want to do this wkend if possible.

europarts store near me has a boot kit that may be right but 19mm/93mm/58mm

I measured mine and its 90mm long, small inner diameter going over bearing 30mm, and other end roughly 80mm ? cant see any online with these rough measurements. Do I have to cut a universal one.
Thanks and sorry to be a newbie pain, but this job will test me to the core !

Attachments

• gaiter 001.jpg
    gaiter 001.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 27
  • gaiter 002.jpg
    gaiter 002.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 20
That looks very much like a non-Sporting (wet shaft) box. If it is, chances are you don't have a Sporting, but an S or SX, and don't have a reverse detente (or a rev counter).

Forget eurocarparts, get onto Mick at eurocarcare.net in the morning. No idea where you are (you didn't fill in the form to tell us) but he's in Derby. Your Vin is on the V5 (logbook) or on the plate on the front of the car.

Keep a check on the gearbox oil level -- if it gets too low, the gearbox will be toast.

Last edited:
Hi. Im in Cardiff.
Yes sorry I realise its a seicento S not sporting. I have been topping up oil level. Ill try eurocarcare then with my VIN. Thanks. Just wanted to get one from a store for wkend if possible!

When I did mine a couple of years back I just went to a local motor factor and they got a boot from my chassis number. Was only about £6 if I remember right and came with grease and new clamp metal ring thingy's (whatever they're called).

Ian.

Back