Technical which backbox for a 16v sporting ? not too loud !!

Currently reading:
Technical which backbox for a 16v sporting ? not too loud !!

Xsisley

hi , wanted some advice on exhaust systems.

on my 1242cc punto sporting 16v engine i have a full 2" exhaust system.
i have put a 'Polyzaust' plastic sports backbox on the end.
so from the manifold there is a straight through 2" tube to the backbox.:cool:

it is VERY !!!! loud ! the exhaust doesnt seem to silence much.

i want to keep the full 2" tube and just one box and the back.
but which ones are not too loud. ???

i dont want to wear ear plugs on motorway journeys. :yuck:

any help appretiated. thanks

aran.

ok cool, any other specific boxes that arnt too loud ??
im on a bit of a tight budget.
but willing to spend to save my ears.

aran.

If you want quiet, then avoid Sportex systems. Mine failed an MOT on Friday due to the noise being WAAAAAYYY louder than a standard system. Got a std exhaust for £40 and have stuck it on. I may 'bastardise' the std exhaust and the Sportex to shut it up a bit.

I was going to remove the cat from mine and replace it with another silencer in conjunction with the Sportex one.

If you want quiet, then avoid Sportex systems. Mine failed an MOT on Friday due to the noise being WAAAAAYYY louder than a standard system. Got a std exhaust for £40 and have stuck it on. I may 'bastardise' the std exhaust and the Sportex to shut it up a bit.

I was going to remove the cat from mine and replace it with another silencer in conjunction with the Sportex one.

didn't the sportex exhaust come with a certificate saying it was suitable for road use as supersprint does

RE the Sportex. God only knows if it came with any certs etc. But apparently the VOSA guys ahev been going around MOT places for the past year or so and asking how come there are all these loud cars driving around with MOTs.

My fail sheet states something along the lines of 'noise clearly significantly in excess of a standard exhaust in good state of repair fitted to similar vehicle'. In other words, if the std system is loud there's more leeway.

Not to worry £40 later, a nice quiet exhaust was fitted and MOT was passed.

Back