where to earth an amp

Currently reading:
where to earth an amp

ive just fitted an amp for my front component speakers, i drilled a hole in the bit of metal the you fix the plastic box that carries the fix and go kit and earthed it to there, all worked fine.
then i turned my engine on and got really bad engine interfieorene through the speakers. im told its because i have a bad earth, so this will be the 1st thing i try!

cheers!

ive just fitted an amp for my front component speakers, i drilled a hole in the bit of metal the you fix the plastic box that carries the fix and go kit and earthed it to there, all worked fine.
then i turned my engine on and got really bad engine interfieorene through the speakers. im told its because i have a bad earth, so this will be the 1st thing i try!

cheers!

you have run your speaker cables next to the power cables
re-route the speaker cables

ive ran the speaker cables down the drivers side of the car, the power cable is ran along the passenger side.

im also using an amp that has a high in put so i can use the original head unit!
this might be the problem but i dont thinkit would be!

i earthed mine to the boot latch, dont get any interference.

you need to take some trim off for this thoght, wire is ran under the carpet and behind the trim so no wires can be seen.

did you use original head unit?

Yup, used original headunit, but now ive changed it to aftermarket.

original HU set up was fine, however if i turned the gain up too much i would get a very slight interference through the speakers.

now i have changed HU, i have my gain set further and no interference at all through the speakers.

theres a good earth behind the boot trim

take the boot liner plastic trim off ( 2 pozzi screws and one torx bit where the metal flat head bolt sits which the boot spring sits against.

its behind it on the passenger side low down where all the light earths run to ((best check that your lights don't flash or dim when the sub is running ;) ))

Im not a fan of earthing to the rear seats, i have seen problems when people have dont that.
I would rub down a small section in the spare wheel bay and bolt it down in there using an earthing terminal.

The earth isnt your problem though i bet you are using one of these.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Speaker-to-RC...ca3653eee&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14#ht_2519wt_1167

They are poo and have no place in the car. I am not 100% sure on the best budget solution as i refuse to use these things but after i have finished my car i will be doing a group test to find out what the best solution is.

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Im not a fan of earthing to the rear seats, i have seen problems when people have dont that.
I would rub down a small section in the spare wheel bay and bolt it down in there using an earthing terminal.

The earth isnt your problem though i bet you are using one of these.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Speaker-to-RCA-Phono-Adaptor-Converter-High-to-Low_W0QQitemZ260439359214QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Cars_Parts_Vehicles_Terminals_Cabling_ET?hash=item3ca3653eee&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14#ht_2519wt_1167

They are poo and have no place in the car. I am not 100% sure on the best budget solution as i refuse to use these things but after i have finished my car i will be doing a group test to find out what the best solution is.

nah im not using one of thoses, was going to untill i was sold this by bass junkies.

http://www.bassjunkies.com/audio/hifonics-txi-6008

ive got hifonics components and hifonics amp, the amp has a 'high input' plug with plug that you connect to the speaker cables coming out the headunit. im gessing this is vertually the same as the rca converter above. i cant see why hifonics would has this feature if its no good.
i think it maybe where i have run my cables or a bad earth, when i get some spare time i will change those and see what happens.
with out the engine running the sound is amazing! on all settings on the amp.!

Last edited:
This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Earth the RCA barrels that should sort the problem TBH. If it isnt anything else listed.
They only put on line level because that is what the customer wants, it doesnt mean that its any good. You cant polish a turd and line level is turd. You will never ever get the same quality as using Low level RCA's.

GLI's arent a fix they are just a mask to a problem its best to fix it properly. Its a pain in the arse to trace everything in the system but normally it works and its free.

thanks for all your help!

ive tried: uprated the speaker cable to double sheilded 1.5mm oxygen free blah blah blah.

ran the cables unter the carpet away from all other cables

changed earth points to thoses recomenbed, sanded down all metal work, added vasoline to earth connection (recomended by bassjunkies)

added a ground resistence insolator from halfords.

still no flipping joy!:bang:

the ground resistence thinng did the biggest different, earths and cable location had no diference!

only other think i havnt tried are using the cross overs, as i havnt got round to fitting them. but would that make any difference?

next step ove been told to try are ferrite rings...? :shrug:

failing that im gonna take the amp back and tri a different one!

failing that... im goin back standard!

cheers!!!!

Have you earthed the Rca barrels from what you describe, this is your problem, for now just wrap some stiff wire around the RCA barrel and earth it either to the HU or the same ground as the amp. This should sort your problem. If not just try an aftermarket unit.

cheers!

dear friend,finally have you solve the complient or not-give the following infomation 1.petrol or diesel
2.year of manufacture
may be due to interference comming from ignition system or from alternater

Back