Technical where is the thermostat?! I think i found it but...

Currently reading:
Technical where is the thermostat?! I think i found it but...

I was draining my engine today, to fit a temp guage, and taking pics for the guide im gonna write (y) but after i flushed the radiator i went to flush the engine and had a problem...read on :)

I am pretty positive i found the thermostat, but it was a plastic housing attatched the the plastic inlet manifold and injector housing. It was at the rear of the head, with one cooling pipe coming out, and a temp sender in it as well

Is that correct for the mpi sei? Does anyone know? I didn't flush the engine in the end because of the hassle i foresaw, but I'd like to double check check before making a fool of myself in the guide ;)

Temps look good though, cruising at 85, max i had so far is about 80, and its been doewn to 75 (y)

Just have to sort the interior wiring and mounting and all will be complete :)

On the SPI's the thermostat is under the distributor or coils (?) where the HT leads are plugged into. Just follow the tube from the top right corner of the radiator to the engine, it should be on that one I think ;)

Aw crap, so the main coolant pipe is connected to the thermostat. I looked at it, cleaned up the end, but never thought it was actually the thermostat as well, so thats why i went looking elsewhere....what an idiot, I could have done the full flush so easily!! Not going to bother now though.

At least the temps are good and i can write up the guide monday night.

Will posta pic soon to show what i now think is the thermostat.

Cheers,

Kristian

//edit

Yep, just double checked, dunno what i was messing with, it had the ecu temp sender in it! Well, annoyed i didn't check up here first..the 82 degree thermostat thread made it pretty damn obvious lol. At least next time i have all i need to do it properly...for now thought im gonna call myself names and grumble a lot lol (y)

Last edited:
The thermostat looks a bit like this basic ASCII drawing from above
__
| |_________ ___________________________
| |
| |
| ' STAT | HOSING
| _________|______________________________
|__|

yep, looks exactly like

6870IMGP0143.jpg

I feel such an idiot lol. Wish I'd looked before starting out ;)

Cheers,

Kristian

Back