Technical wheel bolts??

Currently reading:
Technical wheel bolts??

got round to finishing putting my alloys on and iv been told i need to change the wheel bolts to taper ones? but looking at mine they look like they taper down to the threads but been told they are the wrong ones.

Also the over all lengh of of my bolts is 40mm and when thru the alloy 20mm of thread is sticking thru, is this ok to use or should i use longer ones??

Well, who told you?

It could be that the taper on the bolts you have does not suit the wheels (there are various tapers out there).

Regarding length, you want bolts long enough to fill the threaded portion of the hub plus 2 or 3 threads (too long and they'll foul something, too short and they'll not have the strength).

Do you know anyone with a lathe? :D

Scrap yard is your best friend in this case, take a wheel and try some in it, if the taper is wrong then it will only pull tight on the point of contact, can be kinda dangerous. Ahhhh

Did you hear about that chap whose wheel came off his Punto outside the mental hospital? A guy leaned over the fence and suggested refitting it with one bolt from each of the other three wheels. Driver said he'd have a word at reception, suggesting this inmate was obviously quite sane. As he turned his back, a brick struck him on his head. Inmate said "you won't forget to tell them will you?"

Put the wheel bolt through the old wheel and measure the thread sticking out. Repeat with the new wheel. If its shorter you need a longer bolt to make up the difference. If its longer you need shorter bolts.

Are the Lancia wheel offsets suitable for the Punto. You'll be lucky if they are.

lancia is fiat so its a direct fitment :D

Yes and no. Firstly, Lancia were still a bit bemused at the time, which is why I'd check the taper.

The wheels will have the correct PCD and counter bore. But they probably won't have the correct ET.

Carrying your logic a bit further, Alfa is FIAT, therefore the 4 stud 164 alloys I got dirt cheap should be a direct fitment and not require the 'kin expensive hubcentric spacers I had to buy to get the damn things to fit my Cinq..........wish it were so.

Back