General Wheel advice please

Currently reading:
General Wheel advice please

Kamnoclueaboutcars

Have a 2010 fiat 500 sport edition. Pot hole. Need a new wheel

How important is the rim designation on a car wheel? Am imagining very but want that confirmed as there is a big price difference!! Ie 6jx15h2-et35 the same as 6jx15et35? My log book says h2 so imagining that part is important to have
The confusion I have is - I have found wheels with the h2 - but they are not fiat wheels and what looks to the matching fiat wheel without the h2 so am quite confused!

Advice appreciated
80651F21-B249-4529-9414-BA2B3E89414C.jpeg

Attachments

• D7F553B5-B42F-4FA6-A151-46D93B49784F.jpeg
    D7F553B5-B42F-4FA6-A151-46D93B49784F.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 32
  • 127AF964-5D98-4F7A-815C-8838CE0CFBFB.jpeg
    127AF964-5D98-4F7A-815C-8838CE0CFBFB.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 32
  • 7FAF2970-7611-4F1F-A9EC-D768D1234225.jpeg
    7FAF2970-7611-4F1F-A9EC-D768D1234225.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 29
Those numbers will be on the wheel. The outside, so less dirty. See what the actual wheel says.
eBay might be the best place to look, hopefully find an identical one from a scrap car. Pay particular attention to condition of course, and avoid anyone with too few pics.

Did you take photos and measurements of the pothole…over a certain size you can claim from the local authorities or highways if it’s under their control. I’m not saying we should claim for everything, but I bent and claimed against my LA as the pothole was 9” deep and steep sided, they fixed the hole before they refunded me the cost of alloy and tyre!
Have you thought about a second hand one that matches?
Some of the wheels have the size/offset/pdc cast on the inside centres
I had some 500 alloys, with proper mud n snows on, on my 169 panda and there was no numbers on the outside of the rim

It's the wheel hump designator and tells you what the flange profile is. H2 rims have a tyre retaining hump on both inner and outer flanges; H1 (or unmarked) rims have this on one flange only.

The humps help to keep the tyre bead held securely against the rim. Unless you're cornering on the limit on a trackday car, this is probably only going to be relevant if the tyre becomes deflated.

Rims capable of running runflat tyres always have a double hump profile.

wheel-contour-profiles.png

Last edited:
Are you talking about the wheel itself, or the tyre?

The wheel, if it is a Fiat branded wheel identical to your buckled one, can only be an H2.

If you want to buy non-Fiat wheels (I guess a set?) then they will likely be H2 even though they don't say so.. but the main thing is that the tyres have to be suitable for the wheels, not that the wheels have to be H2 to be put onto your car.

Wheels these days are "all" H2 (it's more difficult to find a wheel that is not an H2) so I wouldn't overly worry about it. Replace your bender with an identical one, or fit a new set of rims altogether.... it'll be cool.

If you're talking about tyres, your tyres have to be (generally) all the same size and the number at the end (e.g. the "82") just has to be the same or bigger than 82. This is a Load rating.. so a bigger number means the tyre is stiffer and can bear a heavier weight. Don't go miles over the 82 otherwise the tyres will be too stiff for the car... and so less comfortable.

The "T" in the chart is the speed rating. T means good for up to 118mph. You just need a tyre that has the same or higher speed rating (H = 130mph, V=149, Z=you're joking, right? ) Your current tyre (marked "82V") has a load index of 82 and is (or was) good for 149mph.

Ralf S.

Replacing the bent wheel with an identical one, either used, or new from the dealer, is just a replacement part.
Replacing the full set with aftermarket alternatives, may be classed as a modification by the insurance company, so needs to be declared, and may result in premium adjustment. Failing to declare it can lead to an insurance company declaring you to be uninsured after a collision.

Back