What's made you smile today?

Currently reading:
What's made you smile today?

I still recall the first time I heard Iron Butterfly's "Ina Gadda-Da-Vida". 17 minutes of something very different. I bought the CD a few years back and brought it with me to work on a Saturday(We rarely worked on Saturdays but some of us old farts would go in to get some travel paperwork done without interference from the non traveling managers). I popped the CD into my desktop and cranked it up to 11. The CFO was in the building and came back to my office to tell me to turn it down but he walked in just at the start of the drum solo. He was still there when the track ended. Didn't say anything when he left. And I was older than him.

I still recall the first time I heard Iron Butterfly's "Ina Gadda-Da-Vida". 17 minutes of something very different. I bought the CD a few years back and brought it with me to work on a Saturday(We rarely worked on Saturdays but some of us old farts would go in to get some travel paperwork done without interference from the non traveling managers). I popped the CD into my desktop and cranked it up to 11. The CFO was in the building and came back to my office to tell me to turn it down but he walked in just at the start of the drum solo. He was still there when the track ended. Didn't say anything when he left. And I was older than him.
I still like to listen to Dick Dale- Misirlou. Cranked up to full volume.:)

I have been fortunate as only been seriously depressed twice
I've never had it, though a friend suffers from it, and they often listen to pink floyd, and I wonder if it's a good idea. They aren't really an upbeat band, though I imagine they work great while on LSD..

I still recall the first time I heard Iron Butterfly's "Ina Gadda-Da-Vida". 1
"Wait a minute, that sounds like rock and/or roll" - a phrase than comes to mind every time I hear I. Ron Butterfly mentioned.

I've never had it, though a friend suffers from it, and they often listen to pink floyd, and I wonder if it's a good idea. They aren't really an upbeat band, though I imagine they work great while on LSD..
Perhaps I should clarify my term "seriously depressed" that is by my standards, as being unhappy, no medication required, just a good conversation with family and friends at the time soon put things right. :)

I’m almost 60 and had never heard of iron butterfly until I met 2nd wife and the in-laws were into them, I was brought up on the kinks, and other comparables, and westside story…in my youth it was Sparks and Bonzo Dog Doh Dah Band

Would that be Hellé Nice, @Pugglt Auld Jock?

I read a interesting article about her in Motorsport, the book sounds a great read.

You got it in one! That's the girl. Just donated the book to the St Columba's Hospice bookshop at Cannon Mills here in Edinburgh if you're desperate?

With the new washing machine now having done a couple of washes and no signs of water leaks I decided to move the old machine from the back of the house to the front ready to load into the car when my oldest boy has the time to help me. However there's a large step where the path round the side of the house comes out at my garage door. Even on my sack truck I couldn't drag it up over the step - damn and blast this getting older! It made me think though. My back is not good and my boy was medically retired from the Marines due to nerve damage in his back so maybe not such a good idea for us to be wrestling a heavy washing machine. I took it back to the rear of the house and sat on my bench for a wee while feeling a bit fed up.

Then I though, it's got to be the big lumps of concrete these things have in them, Maybe I can dismantle it and remove the concrete weights? Well. it proved considerably more complicated than I'd expected, I've had washing machines stripped down to replace pumps etc in the past, but never tried to completely dismantle one. However an hour or so later it was looking like this:

P1110749.JPG

I've temporarily stuffed the drum and other bits back inside just for storage until we make the trip to the centre. The ring and the long thing to it's left are the concrete weights. Even separately they are very heavy but now manageable. Although I could now manage a trip to the recycling centre on my own, my boy is still going to come down and give me a hand - If I'm honest, and swallow my pride, I'm actually quite glad he's going to come as I'd find the weights a challenge if I had to carry them any distance. It's been an interesting exercise in that I found the main reason for failure were the two shock absorbers which were absolutely destroyed, one literally falling apart. The pump was also noisy but the main motor seems Ok with no trace of rotor bearing wear and the com and brushes look good for a while yet. The multi V drive belt looks pristine! So I could have repaired it for quite a lot less than it's cost for a new one, but then again, how long might it have run before something else failed? Anyway, no point in thinking about it, it's done now and, at our age, the new one is likely to see us out!

There's always a silver lining though? So I've ended up with a small container of quite high quality fittings:

P1110750.JPG

Mrs J's immediate comment was "and why are you keeping all those"? She's probably right, but it's a disease most of us are incurably infected with isn't it?

With the new washing machine now having done a couple of washes and no signs of water leaks I decided to move the old machine from the back of the house to the front ready to load into the car when my oldest boy has the time to help me. However there's a large step where the path round the side of the house comes out at my garage door. Even on my sack truck I couldn't drag it up over the step - damn and blast this getting older! It made me think though. My back is not good and my boy was medically retired from the Marines due to nerve damage in his back so maybe not such a good idea for us to be wrestling a heavy washing machine. I took it back to the rear of the house and sat on my bench for a wee while feeling a bit fed up.

Then I though, it's got to be the big lumps of concrete these things have in them, Maybe I can dismantle it and remove the concrete weights? Well. it proved considerably more complicated than I'd expected, I've had washing machines stripped down to replace pumps etc in the past, but never tried to completely dismantle one. However an hour or so later it was looking like this:

View attachment 443834

I've temporarily stuffed the drum and other bits back inside just for storage until we make the trip to the centre. The ring and the long thing to it's left are the concrete weights. Even separately they are very heavy but now manageable. Although I could now manage a trip to the recycling centre on my own, my boy is still going to come down and give me a hand - If I'm honest, and swallow my pride, I'm actually quite glad he's going to come as I'd find the weights a challenge if I had to carry them any distance. It's been an interesting exercise in that I found the main reason for failure were the two shock absorbers which were absolutely destroyed, one literally falling apart. The pump was also noisy but the main motor seems Ok with no trace of rotor bearing wear and the com and brushes look good for a while yet. The multi V drive belt looks pristine! So I could have repaired it for quite a lot less than it's cost for a new one, but then again, how long might it have run before something else failed? Anyway, no point in thinking about it, it's done now and, at our age, the new one is likely to see us out!

There's always a silver lining though? So I've ended up with a small container of quite high quality fittings:

View attachment 443837

Mrs J's immediate comment was "and why are you keeping all those"? She's probably right, but it's a disease most of us are incurably infected with isn't it?
My mother bought a half size freezer to store her chickens, it arrived and she decided to carry it up the stairs....she strained her back and could hardly walk for 2 months, now at 6 months its mostly healed. Very wise to protect your back.

Yes, I've worked in establishments which had a pit, rather a mixed blessing in my opinion. Working at home I think you can achieve much the same functionality with a good high set of ramps. The problem with both systems comes when you need to take a wheel off or check something like a ball joint which requires the vehicle to be suspended. My preference for home working is a good set of high lift axle stands. In a commercial setting I'd rather work with a 2 or 4 post lift.

If you're working in a pit please remember that Carbon Monoxide is heavier than air so, if you're running the engine and working in the pit, there's always the possibility you'll suffer gas poisoning. It's quite subtle too and unless you're thinking about it you can end up weak at the knees, unable to climb out and then you might fall or sit down but the lower you are the greater the gas concentration etc etc. A good early indicator is the onset of a headache and dizziness.

Sorted a big deposit at close of play today for a new house with a garage and a pit offer goes in tomorrow fingers crossed always wanted a garage with a pit the house ain't to bad either 🤣
congrats, I am always nervous of pits at home having seen first hand someone who had one collapse on them and the car came with it. The other major issue with modern cars is air conditioning. the gases of which are more dense than air and if leaking can displace all the breathable air in a pit leading to quite rapid asphyxiation (about 90 seconds)

My parents had a pit in their last house however it would constantly fill with water and grew some pretty nasty looking mold that I'd not recommend anyone work around for any period (god only knows what spores you would have breathed in).

I always wanted a house with a garage I could work on cars in and was happy to get my house in October so I can relate to how happy you must be feeling right now.

Yes, I've worked in establishments which had a pit, rather a mixed blessing in my opinion. Working at home I think you can achieve much the same functionality with a good high set of ramps. The problem with both systems comes when you need to take a wheel off or check something like a ball joint which requires the vehicle to be suspended. My preference for home working is a good set of high lift axle stands. In a commercial setting I'd rather work with a 2 or 4 post lift.

If you're working in a pit please remember that Carbon Monoxide is heavier than air so, if you're running the engine and working in the pit, there's always the possibility you'll suffer gas poisoning. It's quite subtle too and unless you're thinking about it you can end up weak at the knees, unable to climb out and then you might fall or sit down but the lower you are the greater the gas concentration etc etc. A good early indicator is the onset of a headache and dizziness.
Yes they do have there pitfalls🤣 but be handy when I paint and wax the subframes be honest just having a garage will be good as I have so many people asking me to repair their lawnmowers but I have nowhere to do them

Yes they do have there pitfalls🤣 but be handy when I paint and wax the subframes be honest just having a garage will be good as I have so many people asking me to repair their lawnmowers but I have nowhere to do them
Ah yes, lawnmowers. Now you're talking! Just don't be like me - Every spare corner is stacked with "useful stuff" which I've accumulated over the years. So much so that I've now reduced my working area to an area just big enough to work on my workmate work bench. Ok for domestic mowers but I have to work outside if it's anything bigger! I really love doing small horticultural machines, probably more than I enjoy working on cars now I'm not so agile any more - and I can work inside on most.

Ah yes, lawnmowers. Now you're talking! Just don't be like me - Every spare corner is stacked with "useful stuff" which I've accumulated over the years. So much so that I've now reduced my working area to an area just big enough to work on my workmate work bench. Ok for domestic mowers but I have to work outside if it's anything bigger! I really love doing small horticultural machines, probably more than I enjoy working on cars now I'm not so agile any more - and I can work inside on most.
I've noticed that with the addition of the lathe on my work bench. It would help if I put crap away before I go back into the house, but that guarantees that I have something to do the next day.

I got a quote, about five years ago, for a pit, easier for tractors and plant. They’re pre made with plug n play electrics, compressor pipework, lighting and forced ventilation with an ‘intrinsically safe’ sump pump. 9K with me doing groundwork’s and concrete pour. The pits have rails for lift points, but the rail jacks were extra, can’t find quote but they weren’t cheap.

I work with garden machinery chainsaws upto big 4wd ride ons stihl kubota husky wright's ransomed, toro timberwolf, fsi, I could go on but would probably bore everyone, I repair these for my daytime job taking care of all the machinery for a large grounds maintenance company but constantly being ask to do private work if I get this property it will be a massive financial opportunity 😀

Back