What's made you not grumpy but not smile either today?

Currently reading:
What's made you not grumpy but not smile either today?

Your gauge looks similar to the one Moskvich supplied to dealers in the 70s, except it was grooved to fit on the inner wheel rim and had two chains hanging down so you got the position correct then from under the ramp/pit you pushed the car forward and measured again to check. The benefit was it sat in one position on the wheel rim. My Dunlop Alignment Gauge is lurking at the back amidst some of the rest of the junk!
Re tracking and wheel balancing as in many walks of life , it is a good as the bloke doing the job.;)
More than most tasks, as you say, only as good as the care the bloke doing it takes and the knowledge he has. Unfortunately there are many doing it who couldn't care less or just can't be bothered to slacken off that corroded/frozen rod end locking nut and you end up with a rubbish outcome.

Another issue with the Land Rover handbrake being on the propshaft, was people who applied it while still moving. Not unknown to break the half-shaft splines as the momentum of the vehicle kept the wheels turning as the propshaft stopped.

I've never been a fan of parking in gear. Especially as 'official' advice is to put in a forward gear when facing uphill, and reverse when facing downhill. Why would engine compressin be greater when the engine was running in reverse? Nonsense. But, it might cause the timing belt or chain to jump a tooth or several. Whilst compression will leak away, piston to valve contact would hold it on any hill.
Right from my first day working in a garage, I've felt uncomfortable about parking in gear. How could the garage, responsible for the vehicle operation/safety, declare their work unfit, by parking in gear. If the handbrake is unreliable, fix it. (Or move to the fens)

Electric parking brakes make features like Hill Hold and Auto Hold easier, using the park brake mechanism, rather than hydraulic pressure. As said above, Hill Hold only holds for a few seconds, which many owners/drivers do not appreciate. They stop, leave their foot on the brake, like they do every time they stop, (dazzling us in the dark), then release as they alight. As they walk away, so does the car. And then they blame the automated brake system, declaring they of course applied the brake. This has caught out a few supermarket drivers, and a runaway Sprinter van is not to be welcomed. A company edict has declared must park in gear. I demonstrate how the gear will not hold it. It takes about 5-8 seconds to roll over the first compression, and bumping into the next reduces that time with each movement. With such large wheels/tyres, resting against the kerb hardly works either, as it just rolls up over it.

Your gauge looks similar to the one Moskvich supplied to dealers in the 70s, except it was grooved to fit on the inner wheel rim and had two chains hanging down so you got the position correct then from under the ramp/pit you pushed the car forward and measured again to check. The benefit was it sat in one position on the wheel rim. My Dunlop Alignment Gauge is lurking at the back amidst some of the rest of the junk!
With my gauges one of the best features is that you are using the same tool to measure in front of and behind the axle centre line so it can't go out of calibration. Fundamentally important, as with the Dunlop gauges, to be very careful that the measuring tips are securely in contact with the rims and that the rims are not even slightly buckled. Also that the measuring tips are at the same height from the ground (that's where the wee wooden stick comes in because although the tip on the "long side" gets locked off at axle height, the adjustable end is free standing and if you applied it at a different height then Camber would make a nonsense of it all.

Absolutely love the look of your workshop - just what a "proper" workshop should look like!

Another issue with the Land Rover handbrake being on the propshaft, was people who applied it while still moving. Not unknown to break the half-shaft splines as the momentum of the vehicle kept the wheels turning as the propshaft stopped.
One of the first things I was warned about when I went to work in the wee country garage out in Dalkeith.

Re tracking and wheel balancing as in many walks of life , it is a good as the bloke doing the job.;)

With my gauges one of the best features is that you are using the same tool to measure in front of and behind the axle centre line so it can't go out of calibration. Fundamentally important, as with the Dunlop gauges, to be very careful that the measuring tips are securely in contact with the rims and that the rims are not even slightly buckled. Also that the measuring tips are at the same height from the ground (that's where the wee wooden stick comes in because although the tip on the "long side" gets locked off at axle height, the adjustable end is free standing and if you applied it at a different height then Camber would make a nonsense of it all.

Absolutely love the look of your workshop - just what a "proper" workshop should look like!
Originally I could park two cars in there(one small one now and three in the rain) and if empty drive my small vintage lorry straight through to a hard standing, were I also kept one of my boats in the past before the boats became bigger and as paying for all year round mooring left them in the harbour permanently, though Winter storms did require frequent checks as every year a few sank.
Trouble with a garage like that is I know I have something, but can I find it!:(

The hand brake on earlier Land Rovers were an interesting thing and little understood by many who drove them. It operated on the propshaft to the rear wheels thus stopping the prop shaft from being able to rotate and thus stopping the vehicle from moving as it, in effect, locked up the final drive pinion. Unfortunately this did not lock the bevel gears in the diff so if one rear wheel was on a slippy surface, like a sheet iced road surface as happened to me with our breakdown truck, the wheel on the ice could then rotate backwards so allowing the other wheel to rotate DOR and the Landy went off merrily down the hill! Luckily this was only for a few feet in my case before that wheel on the ice got a grip again and stopped the slide. I've had farmers who mentioned, when the vehicle was in for service, that the hand brake didn't seem to be holding sometimes but when checked seemed to have nothing wrong with it. Closer questioning usually revealed that the vehicle had been parked on a steep muddy slope although one had been parked on the ramp leading to the slurry pit, that wasn't a very nice one!
Not to mention the transmission brake on these landrovers was pretty terrible even in perfect working order, they didn’t do a great job, as they were a drum brake not used any other time they would basically rust to hell and there was no friction to keep the braking surfaces clean. It’s often one of the main upgrades people make when they buy old land rovers now, upgrading them to a disc version which makes examination and maintenance much easier.

Not to mention the transmission brake on these landrovers was pretty terrible even in perfect working order, they didn’t do a great job, as they were a drum brake not used any other time they would basically rust to hell and there was no friction to keep the braking surfaces clean. It’s often one of the main upgrades people make when they buy old land rovers now, upgrading them to a disc version which makes examination and maintenance much easier.
I worked on quite a few in the past , mainly Series versions in the late 60s through to the 80s,I even learnt to drive on a 55 series 1 swb petrol with a Harvey Frost recovery crane on the back and owned four, a rusty 2a lwb diesel, a series 3 swb diesel, a series 2 swb petrol that I put a York diesel in and a 87 Defender swb. Genuinely I never had an issue with the drum transmission handbrake, main problem I found on other peoples Land Rovers was the oil seal on the gearbox leaked on to the brake shoes and not adjusted when needed etc. Even when towing a car on a heavy trailer I found they worked well.
Thinking back I remember a friend had a Forward control version on 900 x 16 tyres, I can't remember if it was the six or V8, he was heavily into Land Rovers as he feld trees and sold logs etc. He also took me to look at a very early canvas top swb one down on the side of the river Dart, possibly a 1949 he was thinking of buying? it had a sort of bog chain to do something on the four wheel drive, it was pretty rare then in 1970, we drove down to look at it on a Haflinger which was a first for me.
Thinking about it if the disc conversion was for the Defender type models they had probably gone onto the fine ratchet tooth self adjusters, which were known to wear out and fail on saloon cars. The series LRs had a manual square brake adjuster we used to do with a brake adjuster key.
Still if they made a disc conversion there must have been a market for it:)

There's lots of lovely stuff there though. Even if equivalent to something available in cheaper supermarkets, it usually tastes much better. Nice for treats, need big pockets for a weekly shop.
I wouldn't normally go there, except the company I work for got everyone a Waitrose gift card for an Xmas bonus, lol!

My wife offended a few locals at waitrose. A louder than expected "f**k me, how much!" got some looks from the older well dressed couple behind her
Yes these sort of moments can be quite amusing. I was traveling back from the town centre on a bus some time ago when a mobile started ring out behind me. It was a young "lady" talking to her friend and it came round to the date she'd had with her boyfriend the night before. They'd obviously had a very good and "energetic" time which she described, in great detail and in a loud voice, to her friend on the phone. I felt quite envious of the boyfriend but also sorry for the elderly woman who was sitting across the aisle from me and was obviously very embarrassed by the conversation. This is one aspect of mobile phones I must admit I don't like. A phone conversation should be a private affair in my opinion? Or am I just an old Fuddy Duddy

Yes these sort of moments can be quite amusing. I was traveling back from the town centre on a bus some time ago when a mobile started ring out behind me. It was a young "lady" talking to her friend and it came round to the date she'd had with her boyfriend the night before. They'd obviously had a very good and "energetic" time which she described, in great detail and in a loud voice, to her friend on the phone. I felt quite envious of the boyfriend but also sorry for the elderly woman who was sitting across the aisle from me and was obviously very embarrassed by the conversation. This is one aspect of mobile phones I must admit I don't like. A phone conversation should be a private affair in my opinion? Or am I just an old Fuddy Duddy
Quite agree, when at auctions etc. it used to annoy me intensely listening to loud mouthed car salesmen with flashy phones shouting down them above what everyone was trying to listen to, at times I did point out they could probably be heard at the other end without using the phone and save money!!!;)

Back