What's made you grumpy today?

Currently reading:
What's made you grumpy today?

Yep anodised as well so the covering strips when you try to tighten them and the threads sheer off if you do thighten them. :bang:

It wouldn't be a bad thing if it wasn't £160 to replace the wheel and I could use my Panda to commute while the bike's off the road. :(

Went to the doctors today, couldn't understand what he was saying, so no idea what is wrong with my foot. It hurts a lot more today, so much so I phoned in sick. I was planning on going on duty tomorrow, but don't think I'll be able to make it :(.

Been given antibiotics for it. Only thing that seems to stop it from hurting is laying in bed with frozen peas on it. Then it hurts as its bloody cold!

Went to the doctors today, couldn't understand what he was saying, so no idea what is wrong with my foot. It hurts a lot more today, so much so I phoned in sick. I was planning on going on duty tomorrow, but don't think I'll be able to make it :(.

Been given antibiotics for it. Only thing that seems to stop it from hurting is laying in bed with frozen peas on it. Then it hurts as its bloody cold!

Does it hurt regardless or if there is weight on it or not, or only if weight is applied. Ie does it still hurt if it was dangling in the air off the end of a recliner sofa?

Yep anodised as well so the covering strips when you try to tighten them and the threads sheer off if you do thighten them. :bang:

It wouldn't be a bad thing if it wasn't £160 to replace the wheel and I could use my Panda to commute while the bike's off the road. :(

unless the wheel is mangled get a bike shop to respoke it using brass nipples (assuming the hub and rim are ok)

Does it hurt regardless or if there is weight on it or not, or only if weight is applied. Ie does it still hurt if it was dangling in the air off the end of a recliner sofa?

It hurts if something touches it, putting a sock on is hell, once its on its OK. Doesn't hurt when its just laying there though, and when I'm in bed its fine.

unless the wheel is mangled get a bike shop to respoke it using brass nipples (assuming the hub and rim are ok)

One spoke's snapped and the rim is pretty much scrap. It was like towing a trailer with flat tyres on the way in this evening. Add a pillock who decided to try and kill me the object to my procrastination. Attempting to Incite a road rage incident.

I save £40 a month in Petrol cycling to work and this month it has cost me a £40 chain, £15 tyre and now a new wheel £160+.

I'm better off in my Panda. ;)

Personally I think you need an xray from what you've said? Suggest you go to the A&E department in the morning (when its quiet) take a magazine and wait to be seen, and hope they see fit to xray it failing that they might at least give you a better idea of whats wrong with it

in the mean time you can take Paracetamol 1g every 4-6 hours 4x a day which you can buy over the counter combined with 16mg codine phosphate (co-codamol) for extra pain relief and also if you are not allergic or Asthmatic, take ibuprofen 400mg with food three times a day. combined with some rest and your bag of peas should keep things tolerable in the mean time (y)

Personally I think you need an xray from what you've said? Suggest you go to the A&E department in the morning (when its quiet) take a magazine and wait to be seen, and hope they see fit to xray it failing that they might at least give you a better idea of whats wrong with it

in the mean time you can take Paracetamol 1g every 4-6 hours 4x a day which you can buy over the counter combined with 16mg codine phosphate (co-codamol) for extra pain relief and also if you are not allergic or Asthmatic, take ibuprofen 400mg with food three times a day. combined with some rest and your bag of peas should keep things tolerable in the mean time (y)

I'm thinking of popping down to A&E if its still playing up after the weekend.

I'm currently taking 2 x ibuprofen every 6 hours, and 2 x paracetamol every 4 hours.

I've decided that I'm going to take a few days off work, I'm due in Friday and Sunday. Going to phone tomorrow or Friday and say I won't be in until Monday evening at the earlest. I might ask if I can sit on checkouts when I go back (although I don't fancy 10 hours of it on Tuesday!).

It hurts if something touches it, putting a sock on is hell, once its on its OK. Doesn't hurt when its just laying there though, and when I'm in bed its fine.

Doesn't sound like major ligament damage, or similar to my experience of it anyway.

Still sounds like it could possibly be gout, but in the wrong part of the foot. How long has it been painful for now? How long between the pain starting and the worst of it?

Might be worth an A&E trip as Andy has recommended. Didn't do anything to it in the days leading to this rather than immediately before the pain started did you?

Doesn't sound like major ligament damage, or similar to my experience of it anyway.

Still sounds like it could possibly be gout, but in the wrong part of the foot. How long has it been painful for now? How long between the pain starting and the worst of it?

Might be worth an A&E trip as Andy has recommended. Didn't do anything to it in the days leading to this rather than immediately before the pain started did you?

Last Tuesday is when I can remember hopping along (at the hospital funnily enough). Wednesday it hurt a fair bit, but still able to walk about. Thursday to Saturday it was fine, went on duty Thursday and Saturday, just a little pain when walking, but after sitting in the car for 8 and 10 hours. Infact I had to run on Thursday and it was fine. Sunday it was fine, not too bad, same on Monday.

Yesterday it hurt a little bit more, but today has been the worst, but it was fine up until midday. Then it just started. Don't know if its due to work, had a 10 hour shift and was busy all day.

Its fine at the moment, I can walk without any pain, I have a slight limp still, but think thats just because I've been walking like that for the last week. It doesn't hurt to touch it.

Finding out that one of my favourite walks -- a haunt of the war poet Edward Thomas -- is under threat:

THE ASH GROVE by EDWARD THOMAS

Half of the grove stood dead, and those that yet lived made
Little more than the dead ones made of shade.
If they led to a house, long before they had seen its fall:
But they welcomed me; I was glad without cause and delayed.

Scarce a hundred paces under the trees was the interval --
Paces each sweeter than sweetest miles -- but nothing at all,
Not even the spirits of memory and fear with restless wing,
Could climb down in to molest me over the wall

That I passed through at either end without noticing.
And now an ash grove far from those hills can bring
The same tranquillity in which I wander a ghost
With a ghostly gladness, as if I heard a girl sing

The song of the Ash Grove soft as love uncrossed,
And then in a crowd or in distance it were lost,
But the moment unveiled something unwilling to die
And I had what most I desired, without search or desert or cost.

Very sad.... :cry:

Last edited:
One spoke's snapped and the rim is pretty much scrap. It was like towing a trailer with flat tyres on the way in this evening. Add a pillock who decided to try and kill me the object to my procrastination. Attempting to Incite a road rage incident.

I save £40 a month in Petrol cycling to work and this month it has cost me a £40 chain, £15 tyre and now a new wheel £160+.

I'm better off in my Panda. ;)

Buy a decent set of stainless spokes and brass nipples, a spoke tool and learn to respoke it your self, Its not hard :)

Tom

Back