Whatever Next ?

Currently reading:
Whatever Next ?

Where does it say that Humpty Dumpty is an egg? I've never seen any suggestion that he's an egg, other than illustrations in books.
H

what.. it doesnt make any ****ing sense. you don't have rainbow coloured sheep. unless you're on drugs.

and humpty dumpty brakes..it's what he does.. jeezus.. the world really is going mad.

baa bar black sheep alienates young black children? ********. which pranit sat in an office somewhere came up with that.

KoArAnG said:
it's the end of the world as we know it.
and i feel fine :)

I'm not trying to turn this into a racial thing please believe.

I'm black and have been singing that song all through nursery, when I was young it was just a nursery rhyme but I was informed while I was still in single digits that that song originated from the slave trade.

nice ring to it though.....

baa baa rainbow sheep have you any wool... yes sir yes sir, and would yo like an extra hit of rohypnol..

Trancendental said:
I'm not trying to turn this into a racial thing please believe.

I'm black and have been singing that song all through nursery, when I was young it was just a nursery rhyme but I was informed while I was still in single digits that that song originated from the slave trade.

how is that linked to the slave trade?

in all the times ive heard or sung baa baa black sheep, ive never once thought there was anything racial about it. and i still don't.

you get white sheep and you get black sheep. its got **** all to do with humans, is all about the sheep

who's got the bigger chip on the shoulder....

we never used black folk for wool... we abused teh falklands for that..

so it's rubbis, it's a person who thinks that because we use the word black we should be ostracised because of it... it has been used like that in the past, but in that case, and a lot of other cases, the origins are "made up"

sammiboo said:
how is that linked to the slave trade?
The cotton picking fields and the references to Master etc etc, don't ask me I don't pay much attention to racial topics because if people didn't think about them (and didn't be racial) then there wouldn't be racism and all would be jiggy.

I only respond to blatent racism, in my opinion seeing as that particular song was made up such a long time ago I'd personally allow it as the meaning should and could easily be forgotton and buried.

yea, i think people seem to mix up wool and cotton.. cotton is what you get in the top of pill bottles...

wool comes from the back of baa sheep.. which as previously mentioned seem to come in an array of shades, not in violet... which would be cool.

Trancendental said:
The cotton picking fields and the references to Master etc etc, don't ask me I don't pay much attention to racial topics because if people didn't think about them (and didn't be racial) then there wouldn't be racism and all would be jiggy.

I only respond to blatent racism, in my opinion seeing as that particular song was made up such a long time ago I'd personally allow it as the meaning should and could easily be forgotton and buried.

i think thats the problem, i dont think anyone would sing it to be racist, as far as kids are concerned its an innocent rhyme. I didnt know there was any racial link to it until now. But then again you dont know if someone has just made up the link to it being racist to cause a stir...

IIRC Humpty Dumpty is based on a story about a very large cannon that falls off a wall and gets broken in some war a long time ago, the whole thing was turned into something that kids could associate with, every kid must break an egg sometime in their life surely.

sammiboo said:
i think thats the problem, i dont think anyone would sing it to be racist, as far as kids are concerned its an innocent rhyme. I didnt know there was any racial link to it until now. But then again you dont know if someone has just made up the link to it being racist to cause a stir...
True and very possible but if so this stir was conjoured many many years ago. I think by changing something like that thena whole variety of arguments and nuisance complaints could arise, then again if nothing happened as a result of a complaint, then people may feel as if they are not being taken seriously and the people responsible for taking care of such complaints may take more urgent request for granted.

Just one of them things I guess.

KoArAnG said:
IIRC Humpty Dumpty is based on a story about a very large cannon that falls off a wall and gets broken in some war a long time ago, the whole thing was turned into something that kids could associate with, every kid must break an egg sometime in their life surely.
Yes but humpty Dumpty in the rhyme is personified to be a person and no one explains to the children the real meaning and some crazy children who will grow up to be psycho will become distressed at the thought of a person falling off the wall and breaking there head open and dying. Could easily be blamed upon the National Curriculam as Im sure Teachers do not know the origin of half the Nursery Rhymes which are sung after lunch time so therefore cannot explain to parents and children that its ok and no black people were harmed during the singing of this rhyme and that no fat kids fell off walls and broke their heads.

well this is googles opinion on it!!
"Baa, baa black sheep" Nursery Rhyme History

Educational reasons for the poem "Baa, baa black sheep"poem
The reason to the words and history to this song were to associate wool and wool products with the animal that produces it, not to mention the sound that a sheep would make! The first grasp of language for a child or baby is to imitate the sounds or noises that animals make - onomatopoeia (words sound like their meaning e.g. baa baa in "Baa, baa black sheep"). In some of the earlier versions of "Baa, baa black sheep" the title is actually given as "Ba, ba black sheep" - it is difficult to spell sounds!

The History and Origins of Baa Baa Black Sheep Nursery Rhyme
The wool industry was critical to the country's economy from the Middle Ages until the nineteenth century so it is therefore not surprising that it is celebrated in the Baa Baa Black Sheep Nursery Rhyme. An historical connection for this rhyme has been suggested - a political satire said to refer to the Plantagenet King Richard III (the Master) and the the export tax imposed in Britain in 1275 in which the English Customs Statute authorised the king to collect a tax on all exports of wool in every port in the country. But our further research indicates another possible connection of this Nursery rhyme to English history relating to King Edward II (1307-1327). The best wool in Europe was produced in England but the cloth workers from Flanders, Bruges and Lille were better skilled in the complex finishing trades such as dying and fulling (cleansing, shrinking, and thickening the cloth). King Edward II encouraged Flemmish weavers and cloth dyers to improve the quality of the final English products.

Words and Music
The earliest publication date for the "Baa, baa black sheep" rhyme or poem is dated 1744. Music was first published for "Baa, baa black sheep" was in the early nineteenth century making it into a song for children.

Well people its not just sheep that have had the makeover :D now how many of you remember the hartlies jam Gollywog now there was a total ban on the production and use of this little chap you could save up the paper sticky ones and then when you han enough send them in to claim a metal one to stick on your coat or jacket but again the hyerachy in westminster decided it raciast and he was with drawn (n)

Back