bit of advice what to do next about crash

Currently reading:
bit of advice what to do next about crash

Very true!

I have lots of pictures and a neighbour who confirmed she seen what had happened.

Not sure if I need to go to the police or what? I have a feeling he might deny it and the whole thing will drag on for months

Phone up your insurers and let them deal with it. Just need car index, name and phone number, they do the rest.

Cheers everyone!

Still no reply :(

If I go through my insurance come renewal will they not try and hike up my premium which ultimately means we pay in the long run for something that was not our fault, she wasn't even in the car.

I think he has a majour cheek.

He's trying to string it out long enough to make sure the insurance company will not entertain a claim. Contact the insurance company ASAP. Forget trying to contact him you will lose money.

Remember not everyone is as decent as we would like them to be

Last edited:
He's trying to string it out long enough to make sure the insurance company will not entertain a claim. Contact the insurance company ASAP. Forget trying to contact him you will lose money.

Remember not everyone is as decent as we would like them to be

No you won't, late claims can be made months, and in some cases even up to a few years after an incident ;)

Why are you still texting and calling? As they only live a few doors down why not knock on the door and ask what the situation is if you havent done that already

Last edited:
Why are you still texting and calling? As they only live a few doors down why not knock on the door and ask what the situation is if you havent done that already

Kidnap his cat/dog/giraffe and hold it for ransom.
Insurance will not go up if its not your fault but you have to work out if you have to pay excess and how much trouble this will give you. Talk to him face to face and call the insurance company in front of him if he doesnt deal with it. His premium will rise

Insurance will not go up if its not your fault ...

Unfortunately these days many insurers will surcharge your policy for a no-fault accident even if you were nowhere near the car at the time.

If I go through my insurance come renewal will they not try and hike up my premium which ultimately means we pay in the long run for something that was not our fault, she wasn't even in the car.

They might, and you will have to declare it as a no-fault accident on any application you make for insurance for at least the next three years. I know of at least one person in the exact same situation who had a 30% surcharge applied to her insurance renewal, even though she was nowhere near the car at the time and her insurers recovered all their costs from the third party. :eek:.

Also, if your insurers repair the car and aren't able to recover all of the costs from the chap responsible, then you will have to pay the excess yourself, and almost certainly lose some or all of your no claims bonus, as well as being surcharged for having an accident in the past three years.

I'm sure this isn't what you want to hear, but it's best to be aware of all the possibilities before committing to a decision. Sometimes for very small prangs it's cheaper to just get it fixed quietly, even when you're in no way to blame. Taking any kind of formal action against the other party means you'll have to declare you've been involved in an accident in the past 3 years, which will likely push up the renewal premium, even if it's totally not your fault. Unfair, I know, but what can you do? :bang:

Last edited:
Someone hit my car earlier in the year while my other half was driving and a claim made no difference to the premium.
Claim or not you're still supposed to declare any accident to your ins-company and to add insult to injury (for him at least) you may be able to claim reasonable expenses for all the running around he had you doing.
He may deny the accident but if you have a stack of photos with his car in it and a witness he's not going to get very far with this. Put the whole thing in the hands of the insurance company and see where it goes from there, you should also report the accident to the police as it involves damage to property

To add to what was said above, the wording most companies use is "have you had any claims accidents or losses in the last 3/5 years. This while not a claim or a loss would be caught under accident although information only should not hike your premium. Tbf I would have reported it for information only immediately, let the guy have his time then call the insurance when he's decided he's gonna mess you around which sounds like the decision he has made.

Just because your insurance hikes up the price and you may lose your no claims bonus doesnt mean you have to put up with this. From personal experience I have challenged this for myself and on behalf of my brother who had a claim against him 3 months after the guy said "dont worry about it there is no damage". The Police as in your case made no note of it as once they start a report it is a lot of paperwork for them. I personally no longer use brokers for many reasons and when you renew or get quotes elsewhere, there is normally a section for "at fault". I challenged the ones with the nodding Dog for paying out and taking my brothers no claims away 3 months after the incident. I proved they acted stupidly and without proper process or in a legally binding way in relation to my brother (they kept using the he didnt report it issue). I now own a collectors item noding dog which I insisted was the only way I would shut up ;)

Claims, Accidents, Losses, or Liabilities only have to be mentioned if this is stated in a policy document, while a lot do, not all do, I've had one or two in the last which haven't ;)

Re premium increase, not all companies will load for a none fault claim, but a lot, especially brokers, will (n)

Not all will, but it does seem that the very cheapest quotes demand an absolutely impeccable driving, claim & accident history. Even a minor no-fault incident when all costs were paid by the third party may preclude you from being able to take advantage of the very best deals :mad:.

No you won't, late claims can be made months, and in some cases even up to a few years after an incident ;)

My fiancée is suing the driver that ran her over when she was 6 years old (she's 27 now). She's just found a 'shunt' in the brain which was found with an MRI which is effecting the function of her eyes and was missed by the idiots posing as Dr's who attended her in A&E :bang:.

So yes it goes without saying any time frame's possible. But in my experience if he's mugging you off just go direct to insurance.

Last edited:
My fiancée is suing the driver that ran her over when she was 6 years old (she's 27 now). She's just found a 'shunt' in the brain which was found with an MRI which is effecting the function of her eyes and was missed by the idiots posing as Dr's who attended her in A&E :bang:.

So yes it goes without saying any time frame's possible. But in my experience if he's mugging you off just go direct to insurance.

I'd be interested to know how it goes for her, best of luck.

I know that you've 3 years to start the process for a personal injury claim normally, and this applies to children involved in a RTC any age upto 18 (or it might be 16, cant remember for sure) once they hit this age then their 3 years starts. But then again anything is possible.

I assume legal advise and experts have said going after him is better than going after the doctors which failed to notice this in the first place? Lucky you could still track him down after 21 years. I just hope he's still got the details of who insured him at the time.

Back