What would you do?

Currently reading:
What would you do?

Sorry its here but I need lots of answers fast!

Brava P reg 1.4 12v 80sx

I changed the spark plugs today, but I can't get one of them out, so have 3 new plugs and one old, the car is running very lumpy and bumpy especially at idle.

I am wondering if it would be best to put the old plugs back in or run it as it is until tomorrow when I can get it to a garage. I have a 60 miles round trip to do this evening.

If its not the spark plugs what else could it be?

Also my dip stick keeps pushing up and oil is being sprayed over the engine :( would a motor factors be likely to sell the 'O' ring or am I flogging a dead donkey - I was thinking about tieing it down with some copper wire.

I cant see the spark plugs being a problem of old and new.

Try some sort of spray lube to loosen up the other one, but I'd be more inclided to check you haven't cross threaded one of the others or similar.

As for the dipstick, whatever works, rubber O-rings must be a fairly common part for any car, so its likely they will have them, or if copper wire works and is to hand, use that.

Trancendental said:
1: If not your spark plugs, check the HT Leads
2: You might have high oil pressure because of too much oil.

Lube the plug as said above and use a Long Bar and Socket combination to remove the spark.

I have new leads to put on - was going to leave those till the plugs were all done, as far as I can tell all the leads are making good contact.

It's defo not too much pressure due to too much oil - the oil level is now halfway down the dipstick level - the rest is splatters all over the engine bay (n)

Oh well a nice warm cuppa then I'll brave the cold again - I can just about feel my fingers now :rolleyes:

Well I still cant shift the stuck plug, however I took the other three out to check they weren't cross threaded and they weren't however the ceramic part of one of them had a crack which with a wiggle came clean off and the core fell out - guess it wasn't firing on that one, changed it for the 4th plug that I couldn't fit and it runs a hell of a lot better! You can't hear individual cylinders anymore but it still ain't running 100% but I guess that last plug is prolly really worn like the others I took out and thus slightly off when firing. Whilst I was at it I changed the air filter (the last person to change that was a mong, they litterly folded the baffles in the middle to make it sit lower down in the chamber :bang: New one fitted perfectly first time. The new leads are in too.

Now I just need to do something about the 4th plug, the uber crap MPG and the rattle in the roof job done, sell him forget about brava 1.4's for life ;) Shame cos I like driving itl

jenks69 said:
Also my dip stick keeps pushing up and oil is being sprayed over the engine :( would a motor factors be likely to sell the 'O' ring or am I flogging a dead donkey - I was thinking about tieing it down with some copper wire.

Just how much oil is getting blown out - it shouldn't be that bad unless the whole sump is pressurised..... and that could be a whole different ball game :eek:

In all prolly only about three table spoons - but its being chucked about in a fine spray - so it's on everything :cry: thats over about 200 miles

Typical my step dad came over and it's now running fine with no tinkering or playing - still got one old plug though :S and it seems to be running really really rich.

jenks69 said:
I have new leads to put on - was going to leave those till the plugs were all done, as far as I can tell all the leads are making good contact.

It's defo not too much pressure due to too much oil - the oil level is now halfway down the dipstick level - the rest is splatters all over the engine bay (n)

Oh well a nice warm cuppa then I'll brave the cold again - I can just about feel my fingers now :rolleyes:
oil level doesnt neccesarilly relate to pressure.eg a stuck pressure relief valve could raise the pressure off the oil

Back