Styling What wheels

Currently reading:
Styling What wheels

Tell me about it! My wife goes mad.
I have 2 sets of suzuki Ignis Sport alloys (never even owned one of those so god knows why, probably because they were made by Enkei and only weigh 5 kilos each) they are 4x100 but with a 45 offset. They may fit a Fiat with spacers??

I have a set of painted white toyota yaris 15" steelies which fitted perfectly on the Citroen C1 in an attempt to get the 106 rallye look :eek:

And a set of 17" steelies for the Caravelle shod with winter rubber.
There is a fashion at the moment to band these and slam your van like this.

Not doing that though as it's not cheap and questionable over legality??
Imagine phoning your insurance "yes, i've cut my wheels in half, then welded a new bit in the middle before welding them all back together again"
Not for me.

Than of course the Rotas which might look good on my black 500?? I'll see later.

My wife was particularly unimpressed when I bought these. But I got them for about £250 and they were absolutely brand spanking new in the box Speedlines
2873bwz.jpg

Then there's these which I really like. Obviously need a refurb though. Look much better with the centre caps in too.

2qtwodh.jpg

Then there are the standard wheels
voxsec.jpg

If you don't like wheels then perhaps this isn't the thread for you :p

I'm glad to see this thread as I'm a bit of a wheel whore and I'm all about the lightest wheels and tyres possible.

I'm surprised to see though that the 17" tyre weighs more than the 16 as you'd think there would be less of it?

I have a set of new rota grid, 15 inch in white sitting in my bomb shelter (never know when that'll come in handy!) which I'm thinking winter tyres set.

They are 4x100 so will need a set of wobblies.
I may dig a couple out later and see if I can stage them to see how they look. I'll take a pic.

IIRC if you 'move up' to a set of 18inch tyres from 17s (thinking of the MiTo) the tyres get lighter but the rims get heavier but in the 'Abarth' sizes it doesn't work. Also if you increase the width from 205 to 215 there's a significant difference in weight.

One way to 'cheat' the combined weights is to opt for a set of Continentals which have a ligher carcass than other brands. A saving of 0.5kg could be made here.

Looking at Flashyphotos 'up & down' mpg which he has blamed it on the 16 inch this might be down to an older set of Conti PremiumContact 2s which have been addressed by the new Conti 5 with lower rolling resistance. Drag would also be a factor on the 'open road'.

In relation to the Abarth 16 inch wheels these might be a good deal lighter than the multispoke 16s off the 500. If someone is getting their tyre changed it might be a good opportunity to weight one so a comparison can be made.

Realise that this is an 'old' thread but a question on the Abarth side has triggered re-looking at the weights I gave on the above wheels (without tyres).

Petals (the ones the RUI bought) are lighter at 9.2kg (total wgt. 76.8kg)
10 spokes are 11.9kgs (total wgt. 87.6kg)
Esseesse's were correct at 10kg being heavier than the Petals !

Where did you get this info from?
I weighed a newly acquired 17" 10 spoke fitted with p zero Nero today and the result was 44lbs which is 20kg in new money.

Maybe my scales are buggered up!

Oh, and RUI , did you ever get round to fitting those abarth springs?
I have a set of stuff like you had which I just got cheap but they threw in an ECU too
Don't know if that has any value? Bet a new one would be a fortune??

Last edited:
I guess it could be the weight of the tyre?

I never put the abarth springs on my 500, I did think about just putting the rears on to make the the car a bit more level.

Where did you get this info from?
I weighed a newly acquired 17" 10 spoke fitted with p zero Nero today and the result was 44lbs which is 20kg in new money.

Maybe my scales are buggered up!

44lbs converts to 19.9581 kgs so 20kgs is close enough.:)

Original figure for the Petals at 11.5kgs for the 17 inch multispoke came from here.

Revised the figure to 11.9kgs of which this is one of the references.

Original source of the information came from a moderator on the Italian Abarthisti

Weight of the Pirelli P0 tyres from here

Note that the esseesse wheels use Michelin Pilots (a much better tyre) and the standard 16 inch wheel uses Continental PremiumContact 2 tyres which supposedly weight 0.5kg lighter than the ‘other’ tyres (this was not factored into the calculations).

I added the revised weight of the Petal at 11.9kgs to theP0 at 10kgs and got 21.9kgs x 4 wheels = 87.6kgs.

If you’re getting 20kgs (a difference of 1.9kgs) either

• The Abarthisti both the UK & the Italian can’t use weighting scales
  • Combination of Pirelli reducing the weight of the P0 a bit like Continental along with Fiat reducing the weight of the nicer looking multispoke wheel OR
  • Your weighting scales are knackered !
My memory of the 17 inch multispoke wheel on a A500 ‘test drive’ was that they were ‘too heavy in the hand’ in comparison to the esseesse wheels on another A500SS test drive. So I was mega surprised to see that the Petals were even lighter and that was after some on the Abarthisti criticised the multispokes inbeing made of cheese !

Last edited:
Oh, and @RUI , did you ever get round to fitting those abarth springs?
I have a set of stuff like you had which I just got cheap but they threw in an ECU too
Don't know if that has any value? Bet a new one would be a fortune??

There's a thread on the FF discussing fitting Abarth springs on the 500 1.2 and I'm not too sure who put RUI off the idea.:shakehead::)
Weight of the A500 at 1035kgs compared with 865kgs on the 1.2 was a factor - get the feeling that a set of Eibachs would be a better bet since they're progressive in nature. If I had a set of essesse springs on a A500SS I would take them off and put on the standard springs so there would be a market for them.
ECU. When the esseese kits were been 'done' originally they came with a spare ECU and they were 'popped in'. This changed about a year ago when the esseesse kit did NOT come with an ECU and the remap had to be done by an Abarth technican. A particular garage in NI failed in their attempt to do one and then decided not to go ahead with the essesse conversion of their demo FW model (Jan 2012). That ECU you have is the original one from the A500 but it can be re-mapped by a tuning company with an SS map and could replace the existing one in a A500 keeping the original one intact. It's worth money. IMHO a remap is preferably to a Tuning box since it's possible to get the bhp increase without the torque busting figure plus the boost guage will still read correctly. On a back to back test of a A500SS and a A500 with a Tuning box the torque figures were 238Nm (Abarth quote 230Nm) compared with 243Nm respectively both producing the roughly the same bhp.
Unless you plan an getting an A500 I would flog on the ECU and the Springs advertising them at sensible money.

Last edited:
44lbs converts to 19.9581 kgs so 20kgs is close enough.:)

Original figure for the 17 inch multispoke came from here.

Revised the figure [removed] to 11.9kgs of which this is one of the references.

Original source of the information came from a moderator on the Italian Abarthisti

Weight of the Pirelli P0 tyres from here

Note that the esseesse wheels use Michelin Pilots (a much better tyre) and the standard 16 inch wheel uses Continental PremiumContact 2 tyres which supposedly weight 0.5kg lighter than the ‘other’ tyres (this was not factored into the calculations).

I added the revised weight of the multispoke at 11.9kgs to the P0 at 10kgs and got 21.9kgs x 4 wheels = 87.6kgs.

If you’re getting 20kgs (a difference of 1.9kgs) either

• The Abarthisti both the UK & the Italian can’t use weighting scales
  • Combination of Pirelli reducing the weight of the P0 a bit like Continental along with Fiat reducing the weight of the nicer looking multispoke wheel OR
  • Your weighting scales are knackered !
My memory of the 17 inch multispoke wheel on a A500 ‘test drive’ was that they were ‘too heavy in the hand’ in comparison to the esseesse wheels on another A500SS test drive. So I was mega surprised to see that the Petals were even lighter and that was after some on the Abarthisti criticised the multispokes inbeing made of cheese !

I've re-edited the above post since I had a mental block with the use of Multispoke late last night. Missed the 'window' of changing it.:doh:

Checking out a US spec sheet on the A500 discovered that the weight of the alloy wheels are as follows...

8.57 kgs for the 17 inch esseesse wheels
8.3 kgs for the 'by diesel' wheels - which are the standard 16 inch US A500 wheels

If these are correct the 'by diesel' wheels seem lighter than the 16 inch Euro Abarth wheels. Can't explain the difference in the esseesse wheels where the Euro wheels is supposedly 10kg.:confused:

http://www.chryslercanada.ca/productinfo_abarth/contents/Press-Releases/English/PDFs/CN_Fiat500Abarth_Engineering.pdf

Back