Styling What wheels

Currently reading:
Styling What wheels

Oh and I should mention that the rear Abarth discs are the same as the front discs for the 1.2 so keep them.

Reactions: RUI
Drum handbrakes are WAY more effective, and have far less risk of releasing when the brakes cool too. There's very little reason for disc rear brakes on 99% of FWD cars.
Ummm drum brakes are not more effective. When's the last time a performance car had drum brakes?

Can I ask you to read the post again. I said HANDBRAKE.

They actually are more powerful due to something called a 'self servo' effect, but the difficulty with them is cooling the friction surfaces, hence why disc brakes became the 'performance' choice for braking years ago.

Can I ask you to read the post again. I said HANDBRAKE.

They actually are more powerful due to something called a 'self servo' effect, but the difficulty with them is cooling the friction surfaces, hence why disc brakes became the 'performance' choice for braking years ago.
Sorry :p That said most perfromance cars still have drum brakes for the handbrake :)

Discs you mean? Yes - marketing - drums don't look good behind open spoked alloys. As I say, all FWD cars are front heavy and the front brakes do 85-90% of the braking at any time anyway.
Sorry for the OT, but most performance cars have a drum type arrangement inside the rear disc :)

Now that hardened sensible 1.2 drivers are getting the itch after taking out TAs on solo dates...

a little bit of braking distance trivia reproduced from Autocar Feb '11 on 60-0 (I have to assume it is in secs & not metres !)...

3.0 Lounge 1.4
2.5 A500 (y)
3.1 500c (1.2 engine)
3.3 Twin Air (24.11.10) :confused: Maybe different test conditions/tyres ?

Observation: 1.2 with rear drums seem to stop in the same time as a 1.4 with all-round discs
:idea:
If you upgrade the discs and the pads on a 1.4 to A500 ones - will the time reduce by 16% ? (Appears to be fairly straightforward)
If you just upgrade the front discs on the 1.2 to Abarth ones would that cause any imbalance and has anyone done it ? (half a second could be very benefical)
How difficult is it to 'upgrade' the drums on the 1.2/TA to discs. Remember a car nut 'friend' of mine doing it on a RS2000 (after having a cossie) but he said that the ABS was effected.:confused:

Braking distances are a bit more complicated than shoving a big brake disc on and hoping it work. You've got to take into account the suspension of the car, the tyres, and the weight.

maxi Ahh, yes, I get your point. Yes - because drum handbrakes are safer and more effective. Anyone remember the Citroen Xantia debacle in the 90s with handbrakes letting go (discs)?

Yes, although calling it a debacle is possibly a bit strong - I ran a Xantia for 2 years and it never happened to me, but then I always apply the handbrake firmly. Didn't happen on my Bx either. Silly idea, though, and ruins handbrake turns!

Here we go some photos (sorry about the quality)
5876586065_062daea83c_b.jpg

5876584221_42a2be67b0_b.jpg

They were new wheels and tyres so all I did was give them a good wax before i put them on so break dust and crap will not stick to them. I always do this and never have to use acid on my wheels to keep them clean.
I have driven about 20 miles on them and they feel great they are about the same over the bumps as the 16inch wheels but the Pirelli tyres give a lot more feel.
I love the way they look.

Back