General What just happened!? Headlight theft?

Currently reading:
General What just happened!? Headlight theft?

simch

Don't know what to think, I am a bit in shock!

Just heard a big crash noise out on drive, about 345 ish, went to door and saw two guys heads down wandering off down drive. My Touran and X250 L3H2 Ducato parked on drive. I shouted at them, "excuse me, what do you want"and they ran for it, full on their toes.

Got some shoes on, went out, all glass intact on cars, nothing missing, went round front of van and WTF!! Drivers side headlamp all hanging out, like a foot out the front of the van, all bent back but dangling. Damaged wing, headlight clips and bottom and top broken big hole to engine bay.

What on earth was all that about? Surely they cannot have been tryng to nick the light, they have jus pulled it and it is all broken as a result, so worthless. Unless they were after the bulbs!

Access to engine bay, but then what? No battery there to disconnect?

Anyone heard of similar happening? I'm puzzled as well as angry. 100 quid for new aftermarket headlight minimum. Grrrr

I'm wondering (clutching at straws!) whether they were of say Continental Europe origin and heard the fuse box was behind the "drivers side headlight" but got the wrong side as it is Uk van.

Or maybe they were trying to top up my washers without spilling it all over the engine as fiat intended! lol

I'm wondering (clutching at straws!) whether they were of say Continental Europe origin and heard the fuse box was behind the "drivers side headlight" but got the wrong side as it is Uk van.

Or maybe they were trying to top up my washers without spilling it all over the engine as fiat intended! lol

Very odd, sorry to hear. Might have been trying to get at the bonnet release or maybe theres some cetral locking loom passing in the viscinity or maybe like you say they mixed up the side and were looking for the ecu or something.

Someone "ordered" spare parts, like an ECU, glow plug relay or a fuel filter with a criminal friend who was not familiar with Ducato secrets.
Thieves are everywhere, the Fiat policy to sell vehicles cheap and make parts ridiculously expensive is part of the problem.

I just ordered an aftermarket brake caliper through Ebay for EUR 117, the Fiat price tag is 277,-

My alarm and siren are hidden down below the driver headlight assembly. perhaps they thought there may be an alarm fitted and thought they could remove the siren?

Maybe, I had not thought of that. Well, 98 quid lighter per Eurocarparts perennial 30% sales and some touch up pen and lacquer, 30 mins and I am back in business, so to speak. Chance to clean the wiper sump drains whilst at it.

Fingers crossed the scummers wont be back.

Back