General What fuel do you put in your petrol 500?

Currently reading:
General What fuel do you put in your petrol 500?

Well after three fills with Shell V Power I reckon my 2009 1.4 Sport runs better and accelerates quicker than when I bought it and used regular E5. I’ll be sticking with premium fuel where possible.

Last edited:
Well after three fills with Shell V Power I reckon my 1.4 Sport runs better and accelerates quicker than when I bought it and used regular E5. I’ll be sticking with premium fuel where possible.
I'm sure you're right, the car will run better, the higher octane will iron out small irregularities in running allow a lower advance, etc, our local garage years ago was only 1p difference in price sadly not now so the cheapest fuel goes in our elderly Mazda(07) and Fiat(09) both of which seem fine with it, now my old 95 2.2 Accord Aerodeck SEi ( oh I mis it ) when really pushed would tinkle/pink, but not with 99 octane.

I'm sure you're right, the car will run better, the higher octane will iron out small irregularities in running allow a lower advance, etc, our local garage years ago was only 1p difference in price sadly not now so the cheapest fuel goes in our elderly Mazda(07) and Fiat(09) both of which seem fine with it, now my old 95 2.2 Accord Aerodeck SEi ( oh I mis it ) when really pushed would tinkle/pink, but not with 99 octane.
Putting the fuel type aside, what a fabulous town car the 500 is. It may be seen as a girl‘s car by many but I am too old to care and I bloody love it.

Well after three fills with Shell V Power I reckon my 2009 1.4 Sport runs better and accelerates quicker than when I bought it and used regular E5. I’ll be sticking with premium fuel where possible.
My 2013 Twinair has run on 98RON since I bought it so I can't really say how it would perform with anything less. Some people will be looking down on the 500 as a 'girly' car but, like you, I love it. Mine's all black and chrome so I don't get too much of that.

E 10 petrol is basically cats-p*SS!---E 5 has less of the demon ethanol and more additives to help cool and lubricate your engine plus it promotes a better burn and bigger flame front through the combustion chamber hence the comments from people trying E 10 noticing a feeling of less power and worse economy overall! since the introduction of Ethanol i petrol i have only ever used E-5 in all my vehicles (including a couple of 1970,s two stroke bikes!) despite opinions to the contrary petrol is quite cheep really ( work out the cost of a gallon of beer!) and like most things in life buy the best you can afford! E- 10 might be cheaper today! but new valves and pistons somewhere down the line aint gonna be cheap now are they!.

As an aside Esso garages supreme petrol shows as E -5 but i am told that it actually does not contain ANY ethanol so thats probably a good choice if theres a esso garage local to you!

Back