What does the J in JTD mean ?

Currently reading:
What does the J in JTD mean ?

multijet

you will see some cars with JTDm and others with JTD m-jet, both are multijet versions of the JTD.

the JTDm is the one with improved injectors, producing lower CO2 emissions and giving better fuel economy. a JTD m-jet doesnt have those injectors but it otherwise the same.

some people say the m in JTDm means "modificato", i'm not so sure.

Last edited:
I believe that the M in JTDM is used to show the versions with 4 valves per cylinder on the 1.9 and 2.4 models, so starting at 150 HP for the 1.9 and 200 for the 2.4. If that's not completely correct, it does seem to be reserved for the higher output versions on recent models.

But, as I mentioned below back in 2005, JTD stands for Joe's Turbo Diesel.:D

Last edited:
I believe that the M in JTDM is used to show the versions with 4 valves per cylinder on the 1.9 and 2.4 models, so starting at 150 HP for the 1.9 and 200 for the 2.4. If that's not completely correct, it does seem to be reserved for the higher output versions on recent models.

But, as I mentioned below back in 2005, JTD stands for Joe's Turbo Diesel.:D

The 1.9 mJTD in the Grande Punto Sporting is 8v's and has the 'M'. It is litterally 'm' for MultiJet.

Look on the back of a recent Alfa for the logo. Their's say JTD M rather than MJTD. But I'm pretty sure that the JTD M starts with the 150 HP version and the 120 HP engine is only a JTD

Look on the back of a recent Alfa for the logo. Their's say JTD M rather than MJTD. But I'm pretty sure that the JTD M starts with the 150 HP version and the 120 HP engine is only a JTD

there both multijet just ones an 8valve and ones a ones twincam 16v

the alfa and fiat mjets jtdm are the same (the stilo mjet 16v was different, it had the old injectors so to speak, when it was put in the alfa's with uprated injectors but thats the same as the one in the new bravo)

cdti vauxhalls are the same well the 1.9 and the 1.3, there all multi jets just different names for different manufacuterers, as to differentiate between them(y)

Last edited:
all GM 1.9 and 1.3 diesels are jtds, for example the TiD used by saab

think you'll find there the multijet engines, when fiat used to be partners with vauxhall:confused:

same with saab, fiat didnt do a 1.3 and 150bhp 1.9 JTD engine:confused:

vauxhall cdti 1.3 MultiJet
astra
corsa
meriva
tigra etc

vauxhall 1.9 cdti
vectra c
saab 9-3 and 9-5
signum etc

suzuki quadra-jet

they are all multijet engines, there are three versions of the 2nd gen 1.9 mjet engine, a 100hp, 120hp, and 150hp

2 versions of the 1.3 mjet, a 75hp version and a vaiable inlet geometry 90hp version

oh and the J in jtd stands for Uni Jet

Last edited:
think you'll find there the multijet engines, when fiat used to be partners with vauxhall:confused:
fiat and GM had a collaboration (GM own vauxhall and saab).
GM got the rights to multijet which they use, but they also used the earlier engines too (before multijet came along).

fiat didnt do a 1.3 and 150bhp 1.9 JTD engine:confused:
yes they did. the alfa 156 uses the 1.9 150bhp JTD for example, as do other alfas, not sure if any fiats have it.
the 1.3 JTD is common in many fiats, such as the grande punto, the new 500, the panda.

the J in jtd stands for Uni Jet
no it doesnt. if it did then how could the multijet be called a jtd? you cant have a multi uni jet.
it stands for jetronic, which can be used for any number of jets. uni jet can only be for 1 jet.

in return for the JTD, GM gave fiat the 3.2 V6 which is used in all alfas.

Last edited:
Yeah burt wiki says it is unijet? :confused:
Almost, wiki says it stands for Jet (uniJet).

TBH to say wiki is often wrong is rubbish - some things will be, but the amount of moderating that goes on there to make sure sources are correct and citations are made, means for technical information it is very accurate.

WIKIPEDIA MAKES NO GUARANTEE OF VALIDITY​
Wikipedia is an online open-content collaborative encyclopedia, that is, a voluntary association of individuals and groups working to develop a common resource of human knowledge. The structure of the project allows anyone with an Internet connection to alter its content. Please be advised that nothing found here has necessarily been reviewed by people with the expertise required to provide you with complete, accurate or reliable information.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:General_disclaimer

roughtly translates to: "anyone can write anything and no one checks it"

there have been some really funny wikivandals in the past, but its a sport that seems to have died out.

Last edited:
according to fpt jtd is unijet,yes alfa did use an jtd engine,that was badged jtd,that speaks for itself, i know gm own vauxhall and the 3.2 is a gm block using alfa heads.

Back