General What discounts did you manage to get?

Currently reading:
General What discounts did you manage to get?

Evening all,

Appreciate there aren't exactly hundreds of new Panda owners on here yet, but am interested to know if anyone managed to get a discount on their car, and if so how much.

We managed to get £250 off the list price (paying a total of £10,050) along with some free mats and petrol - all in all just over £300 worth then. Could probably have pushed for a bit more but I was happy with what I got.

This was not a Twin Air, presumably...

Not bad going and you obviously sound happy enough. The surprising thing is how few there are on the road....while driving the Cape Town project-car, Ive not seen another.

I've a 2006 yaris to trade in. Started discussing the options with dealers, no progress so far! Every necessary stuffs are extras for Panda :(, that includes 40:60 folding seat and remote central locking!!

Twinair would be nice as I live in the edge of congestion charging zone

Yeah I know the feeling about not seeing any others at all! My wife saw a white one a couple of weeks ago but I haven't seen any about at all. As Trev says I'm sure it'll change before long.

sunill - you mentioned you had to spec remote central locking, are you looking at the Pop version? Both the Easy and Lounge have got it, but I agree there are lots of bits you need to spec up.

I think I managed to get away with my ones as I said I was not going to pay for stuff which was standard on our old base level 1.2 500 Pop (height adjustable drivers seat etc) - a perfectly reasonable request IMO.

I think it is quite a good approach for dealers who won't budge, if you twist it round and ask them "Do you think it's reasonable for a car built in 2012 to not have a,b,c?" then you might have some luck.

Saw a red Pop or Easy on the M40 Northbound near Oxford on Friday (had black door handles so couldn't be a Lounge).

Only seen two VW Up!'s on the road so i don't think the lack of Panda's on the road is anything to particularly worrying at this stage. Many will still be en route from the factory, assuming they were ordered straight after launch.

Remember, Fiat are essentially offering £500 discount if you buy on their i-Deal finance, and it might be possible to get £500 off even if you don't buy on finance. Upto £1000 on the TwinAir/Multijet engines could be possible, but the car is not priced much differently to its competitors and it's a thoroughly good car, it shouldn't need any more discounting than a VW Up! or Kia Picanto, so expect discounts to mirror those.

Yes, it's a very good car, but I'd want £1000 off immediately, plus an adjustable seat and a couple of other things thrown in for free on top of that. The Euro has dropped and the world's economy is in dire straits, so if I do buy a new car, and it's now an if, not a when, I want it at a reasonable price.

Yes was seriously interested in buying a high spec Lounge TA about 7-weeks ago. I was an outright 'cash' buyer and when I asked about discount, the sales guy laughed. When he realised I wasn't joking he offered £100 of list!

I wonder over the road to the Chrysler dealer, test drove the 'panda in drag' (TA Ypsilon) and was offer £2000 of list price once I'd mentioned I was an cash buyer. Certainly made my decision easy.

Saw a red Pop or Easy on the M40 Northbound near Oxford on Friday (had black door handles so couldn't be a Lounge).

Only seen two VW Up!'s on the road so i don't think the lack of Panda's on the road is anything to particularly worrying at this stage. Many will still be en route from the factory, assuming they were ordered straight after launch.

Remember, Fiat are essentially offering £500 discount if you buy on their i-Deal finance, and it might be possible to get £500 off even if you don't buy on finance. Upto £1000 on the TwinAir/Multijet engines could be possible, but the car is not priced much differently to its competitors and it's a thoroughly good car, it shouldn't need any more discounting than a VW Up! or Kia Picanto, so expect discounts to mirror those.

I think you're right there (damn it, we agree AGAIN!:p). There are discounts available for sure but I just don't think there will be wholesale discounts any time soon. If there is going to be any significant price drop then it will probably be on the Pop; the Easy seems to be very competitive IMO and the Lounge also offers you a lot of stylish extras for £500 or so.

You have to remember as well that the Panda is a newer car than a 500 and it is going to be priced accordingly; Fiat can't start having the Panda being £3-4k cheaper than its nearest 500 IMO as people will start asking questions why.

I think you're right there (damn it, we agree AGAIN!:p). There are discounts available for sure but I just don't think there will be wholesale discounts any time soon. If there is going to be any significant price drop then it will probably be on the Pop; the Easy seems to be very competitive IMO and the Lounge also offers you a lot of stylish extras for £500 or so.

You have to remember as well that the Panda is a newer car than a 500 and it is going to be priced accordingly; Fiat can't start having the Panda being £3-4k cheaper than its nearest 500 IMO as people will start asking questions why.

It's nice to know someone agrees with me - i usually just get a look as if to say 'did he really just say that' when i open my mouth :eek:

But yeah, why should they discount the car if it's selling? If people wanna be penny pinchers then as far as Fiat's concerned, let them go elsewhere. It's a decent car, with a factory rebuild to pay for, plus R&D costs for upcoming models. Why should they knock thousands off the list price just because people expect to get a decent car at a knock down price? If VW aren't taking off thousands of pounds from the list price of the Up! and Kia aren't discounting the Picanto then there's no reason Fiat should have to do it to the Panda, as it's just as capable if not more so than any of its competitors.

Fair enough the Punto and Bravo are past their best in a sea of new models and need discounting, and the 500's inflated prices need some leeway, but the Panda is priced in-line with the market & is a new car. If they start discounting it, i'd expect Kia & VW etc to be following shortly behind.

I don't think there will be massive discounts, at least not yet. This is good news for the residuals of course! (y)

Just been looking at Panda's for my Mum, and I can't better 10% unless anyone knows better.

Exactly. One bugbear with Fiat's can be their steep depreciation within the first 3 years. The 500 has bucked this trend and Fiat would be mad to undo the gains by giving Pandas away for 5 or 6 grand and absolutely obliterating residuals for both this Panda and the previous one in the process.

The best two places i've seen for discounts on Fiats was FiatSupaSaver and Broadspeed. Broadspeed is offering upto £900 off the 1.2's and upto £1200 on the other engines. However, FiatSupaSaver doesn't appear to have the new Panda on its website yet. I'd be pretty happy with £1200 off list price.

I reckon 10% is very good. But also it only brings the car down to what I believe is its real value. You can easly get a Panda Lounge up to £13,000 :eek: when specifying a number of items that really should be standard.

It's true £5,000 is only appropriate for end of line vehicles in order to get rid of them, but it will be very interesting to see how the car market goes when the economy fails to lift into next year, which is what I believe will happen.

Marchionne repeatedly states thet the European car industry has to lose manufacturing capacity, so it's war out there.

Last edited:
I agree - I got up to £13k too, so £1300 off a brand new car still selling at full list price sounds good to me.

Trouble is, everyone bleats on about how they want to buy a stripped out basic car, don't need all these toys etc etc. Fiat then provide this (to some extent - I'm not saying any current Panda is stripped out ;) ) by letting you specify the bits you actually want, and then get accused of profiteering - they should be standard :bang: . Don't usually defend them, but seems they can't win in that argument!

Actually I think they've got it right - I'd always choose a height adj driver's seat for example but have never needed a split rear seat - why pay for it in the list price if I don't want it - discuss :devil:

I agree - I got up to £13k too, so £1300 off a brand new car still selling at full list price sounds good to me.

Trouble is, everyone bleats on about how they want to buy a stripped out basic car, don't need all these toys etc etc. Fiat then provide this (to some extent - I'm not saying any current Panda is stripped out ;) ) by letting you specify the bits you actually want, and then get accused of profiteering - they should be standard :bang: . Don't usually defend them, but seems they can't win in that argument!

Actually I think they've got it right - I'd always choose a height adj driver's seat for example but have never needed a split rear seat - why pay for it in the list price if I don't want it - discuss :devil:

Can of worms. Opened.:D

To be fair though you're quite right to a certain extent - if you want to have certain bits of kit then you should expect to pay for them. Everyone is different and has different needs.

I just think that the individual trim levels need to be looked at again by Fiat. For example, I cannot understand why the Lounge model doesn't have Blue&Me as standard; it's the top spec car and should have it.

Can of worms. Opened.:D

To be fair though you're quite right to a certain extent - if you want to have certain bits of kit then you should expect to pay for them. Everyone is different and has different needs.

I just think that the individual trim levels need to be looked at again by Fiat. For example, I cannot understand why the Lounge model doesn't have Blue&Me as standard; it's the top spec car and should have it.

That's no good - can't argue if I agree........... ;)

I'd love to see height adjustable seat, 40:60 split sliding rear seat, at least a USB port to play MP3 files and electric adjustable mirrors as standard (POP version)

I cannot understand why the Lounge model doesn't have Blue&Me as standard; it's the top spec car and should have it.

Back